News:

• June 19, 2024, 09:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Countersunk tail skid, Skyfall 007  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Countersunk tail skid, Skyfall 007
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:36:27 AM »
These last half dozen tasks on the Flite Streak are actually building tasks. I have no idea why I placed the text and photos at "Paint & Finish?"

Got all the holes drilled for the single wire gear, tank and the Fox .35.

Counter sunk the tail skid and drilled two small holes to hold the tail skid in place. Looks cleaner countersunk.

Remaining is the outboard tip skid. I'll use the same size diameter wire and probably attach that to the weight box cover. Good thing I put the lid on the bottom.

Almost ready for paint. I can't wait.   #^
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Countersunk tail skid, Skyfall 007
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
Making your own gas tank - the only way to go on a Flite Streak.

I favor a big nylon control horn as the tip skid with a one-wheel landing gear.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
Making your own gas tank - the only way to go on a Flite Streak.

I favor a big nylon control horn as the tip skid with a one-wheel landing gear.

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Good idea, a large nylon control horn.

I could easily make my own tanks if I had the material. The one in the photo I didn't make. It's from a real old stash.

A Flite Streak wouldn't look like a Flite Streak with two wheel gear.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
Hi Charles.  If you need tank material, go to you local autobody shop and ask if you can have a few gallon tins they get their thinner in.  I got fifteen of them for a few cookies!  Perfect tin for tanks. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:59 AM »
Hi Charles.  If you need tank material, go to you local autobody shop and ask if you can have a few gallon tins they get their thinner in.  I got fifteen of them for a few cookies!  Perfect tin for tanks. H^^

Glenn,

Isn't that stuff a tad thick?

Charles

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »
I use enough clear dope to have my own supply of empty one gallon cans.  The rectangular ones, not the rounds.

As recommended by Big Art, this metal is OK for muffler straps, too.

The other good source of tank material is brass shim stock for McMaster Carr.  You can buy any thickness you want.  I have .005', .007", and .010" for various applications.
Paul Smith

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »
Hi Charles.  I've used the gallon tins for tanks almost since my first plane!  I find it just right.  Maybe others want lighter, but I'm a sport pilot and weight isn't as critical for me.  Although I don't see how it can be much heavier than something else. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here