News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION  (Read 2333 times)

Offline TDM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »
For all of you who want to dabble in to composite constructions here is a link that explains step by step how to make composite wings fuselages etc.
These techniques are valid for whatever you want to build and can be applied in different parts of the model. You might be watching a hollow wing mold building and realize the same technique can be used for a fuselage for example. You night be watching making a compression molded wing and realize it could be used in a landing gear door build or some other part.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWaPcbCQVYwQQ-zrQ5jpv7A

Resources
https://sweetcomposites.com/Kevlar.html  Kevlar for hinges etc
https://www.sollercomposites.com/ for by axial sleves some unidirectional stuff
https://thayercraft.com/ for inexpensive fiberglass in bulk
https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/ for carbon fiber at a reasonable price specially unidirectional carbon 100g, my number one weapon for spar reinforcement of spar material. Also some spread tow carbon and plain weave carbon.
https://cn-models.com/catalog/carboweave good resource for skin material.
https://www.r-g.de/en/home.html  when all else fails these guise are more expensive but have good service. Here you can find the more rare elusive stuff not available elsewere.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Tom Vieira

Re: COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:07:09 AM »
Here's the guy,

There's always a guy, he spent a short time at this Forum displaying his composite CL, "look ma, no balsa" model, and, if I remember, he has a build someplace in the Forum or a website with great photos.

I'll try to find it.

I don't remember the Country where he's from, but we did exchange a few emails. Because balsa was expensive in his country he opted for another building medium, as he said. Balsa is growing in price.

As you can see, he has great accomplished building skills, plus, obviously, he adapted to a totally different building medium.

His material methods are the use of blue or pink construction foam covered with two layers of fiberglass cloth, If I remember? I had interest because, although this sounds complicated, it isn't, and this method has been around for quite some time.

I actually made the cowling and the fuselage firewall radius areas for my Gee Bee Z using pink foam. I dissolved the foam using lacquer thinner but this builder keeps his foam in tact.

If I did try this method, I would most probably contact this builder and construct his identical model. Great looking model!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »
It's hard to believe the price of balsa would be that much more than foam, fiberglass and epoxy.

I'm only repeating what that builder said. He may be from Hungry.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »

He may be from Hungry.

How can someone be from Hungry?  It is not anywhere on any map.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »
How can someone be from Hungry?  It is not anywhere on any map.

Keith

Hungary

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 05:04:00 AM »
The master model builder using the foam method I'm referring to is our one and only,

Istvan Travnik.

Istvan has made many contributions to the Forum. Maybe he'll see this?

Here's a "cross section" of his work.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 11:49:49 PM »
Does he use epoxy - or perhaps some water based varnish with the glass cloth?

Glassed foam is a favorite building method with many R/C flyers.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 12:47:54 AM »
Does he use epoxy - or perhaps some water based varnish with the glass cloth?

Glassed foam is a favorite building method with many R/C flyers.

Istvan used glass cloth and Huntsman (CIBA) LY 5052 epoxy  thinned with methanol over the blue foam.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 06:05:24 AM »
Almost all of Istvans plane can be made using the NXT Sport wing build techniques. You can find that stuff in the first thread link. Obviously you have to modify the techniques used for the fuse or wing construction. A great choose for resin is the MGS brand you can find at Aircraft Spruce.

Noteworthy is that Istvan is using closed cell foam which doesn't collapse during banging. Thinning resin with alcohol is not a good practice because it can alter the resins proprieties. The resin should be applied to the cloth and not the foam to reduce weight.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 05:17:47 PM »
Almost all of Istvans plane can be made using the NXT Sport wing build techniques. You can find that stuff in the first thread link. Obviously you have to modify the techniques used for the fuse or wing construction. A great choose for resin is the MGS brand you can find at Aircraft Spruce.

Noteworthy is that Istvan is using closed cell foam which doesn't collapse during banging. Thinning resin with alcohol is not a good practice because it can alter the resins proprieties. The resin should be applied to the cloth and not the foam to reduce weight.
There is nothing to be anxious, when we thin up a good, so-called "high energy" resin, by 20 or 30 % Methanol, in thin coat. First "painting" on sanded, pure bluefoam, is for stand up, and stabilize every small, or microscopic hairs on the surface. Next day it can be fully sanded, by 280 or 320 wet paper, and the surface will be absolute perfect (hard and smooth). Minimal weight of the resin remains on the surface. Next step we simply cover the surface basically by light glass weawe*, and "paint" again with thinned resin. The methanol does not harm the resin chemically, and since is very volatile, it is off in 5-10 minutes, hours before than the resin begins to polymerizing.
*the glass can be doubled on critical parts (e.g. nose of fuselage), or strengthened by some light, thin carbon (e.g. horizontal stab, "spar" in wing centre, etc. )
Istvan
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:39:26 PM by Istvan Travnik »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 09:01:02 AM »
Happy New Year!! Any new technics or material choses in the foam model area?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 05:02:37 PM »
Happy New Year!! Any new technics or material choses in the foam model area?

Best,   DennisT
Happy New Year to this nice company!
My answer is: YESSSSSS!   S?P
Not everybody use blue/pink foam technology for IC driven big, heavy C/L stunt ships, and here is a technology for small, electric driven, or sailing planes, or flying toys for children.
When we want to get very light, not fuelproof models, we can substitute epoxy resin by genuine celluloid. (Nitrocellulose, scratched smelling camphor. )  It is soluble by methanol, so not harmful to polystyrene. When dries, will be very-very light, but strong.
Where can we found celluloid?
-old, 100 or 120 years old films gone already...
-old toothbrushes gone too...
-tabletennis balls banned after 2016...
-nowhere can be found old rulers, inking patterns...
But, in piano industry, between Ivory and Acrylic ages, the covering of white keys was celluloid, for almost 100 years.
So visit a piano restorer shop, ask / buy a pound from garbage, clean them, solve them in Methanol, and have fun!  :)
 Istvan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here