News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Completing my descent…  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Completing my descent…
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:10:45 PM »
I have a Brodak Electric ARF Ringmaster S-1.  So, I already have the heresy of 1) an ARF rather than a kit or scratch-built, and 2) powered by electrons.  So I might as well complete my descent into devil worship by modifying the elevator.

I don’t plan to ever fly OTS with this thing, I just got it to fly at a park where people might not object since it’s quiet(er) than a glow model, and at the Fly-A-Thon.  I really didn’t like the control horn that came with the kit, too sensitive.  I’ve made a new horn that’s at 1 inch from the hinge line.  Still too sensitive, I have to be careful because I still stall it out on my loops.  I have the handle spacing at the minimum that I want to go, so now it’s time for blasphemy.  If I were to glue the elevator to the stab, and then cut the hinge line back farther aft to decrease the size of the elevator, does anyone have an idea, or better yet, any experience on how far back to put the hinge line for a nice sport model?

Mark

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Completing my descent…
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
I have a Brodak Electric ARF Ringmaster S-1.  So, I already have the heresy of 1) an ARF rather than a kit or scratch-built, and 2) powered by electrons.  So I might as well complete my descent into devil worship by modifying the elevator.

I don’t plan to ever fly OTS with this thing, I just got it to fly at a park where people might not object since it’s quiet(er) than a glow model, and at the Fly-A-Thon.  I really didn’t like the control horn that came with the kit, too sensitive.  I’ve made a new horn that’s at 1 inch from the hinge line.  Still too sensitive, I have to be careful because I still stall it out on my loops.  I have the handle spacing at the minimum that I want to go, so now it’s time for blasphemy.  If I were to glue the elevator to the stab, and then cut the hinge line back farther aft to decrease the size of the elevator, does anyone have an idea, or better yet, any experience on how far back to put the hinge line for a nice sport model?

That will have a lot less effect than you want. Make the horn longer.

Brett

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:10:32 AM »
On my electric Ringmaster ARF I used one of the large black DuBro horns and it still had too much throw. A longer horn was not an option, as the trailing edge impeded the push rod.
My solution is both inelegant and butt ugly.
I used an old metal bellcrank, cut one arm and the output arm off, and drilled a couple of holes in it. I mounted the bellcrank to the side of the fuselage, ran the bellcrank pushrod to the top of the lever, and the elevator pushrod between the top and the pivot point. According to my ruler, the output movement is about 60% of the input movement.
I can still stall it in hard turns, but I almost have to do it on purpose.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
That is what I came up with on my Ringmasters, all of them.  Use the hole closest to pivot point on the bell crank when building.   Also a taller control horn. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:02:55 AM »
How about adding some nose weight?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
I've got to think the push rod is on the wrong hole in the bellcrank. Anyway you can check?

He can cut up the wing.  Somehow, getting an ARF and then doing more work to modify it to what you want than you would have taken to just build it seems counter-productive.

Mark: my non-ARF Ringmaster ended up with a long SIG nylon horn that just barely cleared the pavement when I was flying it off a hard surface, and often had dirt and grass on it when I was flying from grass.  It flew just fine.  The received wisdom (which I received after I built the plane) is that you want to locate the hole in the bellcrank about 5/8" out from the pivot on a 3" bellcrank, which means drilling a new hole in a Sig nylon bellcrank.  I didn't do that, which is why I had such a long elevator horn.

If you do want to cut it up, you probably want the elevator area to be about 20-25% of the total horizontal tail area.  The fact that the thing has an eliptical tail makes life difficult; I'm going to guess that if you make the elevator chord about 25-30% of the total at the root then you'll have enough.

No matter what, if it has a true Ringmaster airfoil it'll stall in maneuvers unless you're really gentle on the handle.  Nothing does jumpy, octagonal loops quite like a Ringmaster.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »
Well, since cutting a narrower stab doesn't seem to be recommended, I guess I'll just have to make a longer horn.  I'll cut out to 1 1/4" on the next one, or just go to Tammies and buy the longest horn they have.  I think I saw a long, adjustable horn on their hardware board. Then I'll see how the plane flies.  I really don't want to cut into the wing when I don't have to.  Unfortunately, a couple of deaths in the family have prevented me lately from flying or doing any plane related activities other than snatching a few minutes on the forums when I can.

Larry, that might help, but it's already pleny heavy enough with the electric package.  I'll look at that as a last resort.

Thanks for the replies and advice, All.
Mark

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 07:56:26 PM »

Mark, one of the things that I read here on S/Hanger was to limit the throw of the push rod so that all the elevator travel is limited to 15-18 degrees of total travel.

I did this on my R/Master and it flies MUCH better that when it stalled out, you might give this a try.. y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
  Mark, one of the things that I read here on S/Hanger was to limit the throw of the push rod so that all the elevator travel is limited to 15-18 degrees of total travel.

I did this on my R/Master and it flies MUCH better that when it stalled out, you might give this a try.. y1

You don't want to artificially limit the motion with stops or something like that. That stops the worst of the stalls but you still lose any sort of fine control. I think you should slow the control rates down by making the elevator horn longer, or the lever arm to from the bellcrank pivot to the pushrod shorter.

You can also narrow the handle spacing, but that is less desirable than changing it at the airplane end.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
  All of my Ringmasters have a control horn that is at least 1 1/" tall, including one that is a genuine, kit built in the sixties or seventies version with who knows what for a bell crank. All of the current fixes and adjustments recommended for Ringmasters have worked wonders for this thing. It was a Craig's List rescue that I go for 20 bucks including the Fox .35 stunt and .36X combat engine that was in the box with some other goodies.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
   You can also narrow the handle spacing, but that is less desirable than changing it at the airplane end.

I can attest to this personally, having had (on the same plane, at different times) a 1" elevator horn and 2" handle spacing, and a 1.5" elevator horn and 3" handle spacing.  If I build another one I'm going to really slow it down at the bellcrank, in hopes of overcoming the Netzband Wall associated with that ginormous elevator.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here