News:

• May 16, 2024, 09:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fitting a canopy  (Read 731 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
fitting a canopy
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »
  Mornin' Guy's
  I am looking for some idea's on gettin' my canopy fit on a flat (1/2") thick top block.
 What idea's do y'all have on trimmin' and gettin' it to fit snugly for a decent fit, it will be empty, probably painted.
  Thanks, Gil :!
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: fitting a canopy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:03:10 AM »
On my last project, I made separate balsa floor that snugly fit inside the canopy.
Then I cut a hole all the way through the fuselage.  Then I sanded the hole so the canopy-and-floor assembly was a tight fir to the hole.
Then I painted the floor, did that interior detail complete with pilot, and effectively made the cockpit/canopy a finished module.
The module was then glued into the hole with silicone, the gap filleted in with putty, and the finshed product painted.

It's only a Carrier job, not a masterpiece stunter, but the theory's the same.  The cockpit/canopy is firmly locked in, not just surface-glued, and the work was done offboard, not on the whole model.
Paul Smith

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:09:05 AM »
     Thanks Paul, that way look's interestin', Ty I am lookin' forward to seein' you at El Dorado, can't seem to get any flyin' as the winds are 17- 25 mph, hopefully tomorrow...
  Thanks again Guy's
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »
A way to get a good "seat" on the canopy is to trim as close as you can with scissors. Then temporarily tape or glue sandpaper (180 grit or so) to the surface (fuselage) that the canopy will be mounted upon. Take the rougly cut canopy and slide it back and forth along the sand paper that you previously attached. It will not take long for the bottom to conform to the shape of the mounting surface. Than proceed with the cutting of the groove etc. Be sure to remove the sandpaper before gluing the canopy onto the fuselage...(sorry, just had to throw that one in).  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
Gil,
"it will be empty, probably painted"

The pilot has to see out of an even minimum detailed cockpit. A stunter without some a cockpit is like asking a chicken to vote for Col. Sanders!

AMA 7544

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
  Pete & Tom, You guy's ain't right, y'all just ain't right..  LOL   #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here