News:

• May 13, 2024, 02:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chipmunk tail feathers (pics)  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Chipmunk tail feathers (pics)
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:19:10 AM »
Tonight I decided to start the tail pieces on the 'Chip. I got the elevators hinged, but the horn isn't in yet. The airfoil is sanded into the vertical stab. The parts fit is so good in this kit, I took a close up shot of the three pieces in the stab and rudder just to show it. There is still shaping to do and I'm going to do that tomorrow night.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tom Hagler

• New Pilot
Re: Chipmunk tail feathers (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
Man, it's great to see you building again. Too many years gone by. Great time out there at the field today. I have all three of your beater planes ready to go. F51 got an old H35 OS, the white thing got a Fox 15 and the foamy got a Veco 19 put on, which is probably what it had before. No mufflers. Let 'em scream!

Now I can finish that stupid Bislob so I can clear the bench and build my Umland Magician. When you're done with that terrific Chipmunk kit, you will have to do a Sterling Yak or something just to bring you back down here with the rest of us. I have a cold chisel you can borrow for getting the parts out of the sheets.
Later!

Hag
64th in classic at VSCXX! And proud of it!

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:01:12 PM »
Man, it's great to see you building again. Too many years gone by. Great time out there at the field today. I have all three of your beater planes ready to go. F51 got an old H35 OS, the white thing got a Fox 15 and the foamy got a Veco 19 put on, which is probably what it had before. No mufflers. Let 'em scream!

Great! Looks like Chris will get at least 3 flight next week. LL~ LL~
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:18:25 PM »
The tail feathers look nice. Wish I could fly right now. Today was overcast and drizzelly here and about 50 degrees. Not the most fun conditions around.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

steven yampolsky

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:17:39 AM »
Clint,

Word of advice: stiffen those elevators as much as you can. The tabs tend to twist elevators in unusual fashion, Umland's kits being as good as they are probably have elevators made out of very light and soft wood. This combination, will cause strange reactions to control inputs. Most of us are used to the effects of 1/4 sheet elevator twist when deflected. The effects of the twist a linear, sort of speak but when you use a tab like on the chipmunk, you will are get responses you may not like.

I did not tiffen elevators on my Van Loo Chipmnuk and when the winds pickup(15+), control dynamics of the model change drastically, making very hard to steer. It's alsmost like flyin a totally differnt model.

Applly a layer of CF vail or double silkspank the elevators.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »
Steve,

I agree. I would probably build up the elevators and use some sort of internal structure to limit torsional movement. But with sheet elevators, it would certainly be a good idea to use veil or even light fiberglass to aid in torsional stability. The tabs on the elevators are, I imagine crossgrain (I have the kit but haven't looked). Can apply a lot of torque in wind.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »
I have some carbon vail I could put on. I was going to sand a heathy taper into the elevators, but maybe I'll leave them fairly thick. Thanks for the tip guys.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:57:42 PM »
Clint,

Word of advice: stiffen those elevators as much as you can. The tabs tend to twist elevators in unusual fashion, Umland's kits being as good as they are probably have elevators made out of very light and soft wood. This combination, will cause strange reactions to control inputs. Most of us are used to the effects of 1/4 sheet elevator twist when deflected. The effects of the twist a linear, sort of speak but when you use a tab like on the chipmunk, you will are get responses you may not like.

I did not tiffen elevators on my Van Loo Chipmnuk and when the winds pickup(15+), control dynamics of the model change drastically, making very hard to steer. It's alsmost like flyin a totally differnt model.

I couldn't agree with you more...although those tabs were meant for a purpose and that was also to help lighten the leverage at the handle, especially in higher wind conditions but the downside is that in our light weight models...very small flutter occurs during certain fazes of flight..hard squares etc. that slight flutter will definately effect not only the turn radius but also induces some really strange wobbleees.
Notice the changes that we did to both our Chipmunks and since my model was OVERSIZED with a 59 inch span..plus a really oversized stab and elevator...I needed every bit of stiffness that I could afford.
however all this sad and dung' VanLoo's Chip & Mike Stotts Chippies flew with perfection and grace. 
The last photo is taken of our Chipmunk demo flight team....that didn't last too long because I tended to push the radical wild gooseeeestuff and my partners thought it better that we disband before we lost all three models.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »
I saw Don's plane live once at Boeing. Man, that was a pretty plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »
Okay, you guys got me a little scared about this now. The wood in the elevators is very light C-grain and does twist some. Now I'm afraid that I won't get them stiff enough to avoid the in flight problems described here. I'm thinking my best bet is to cover them with carbon veil and epoxy. Or is that overkill? How 'bout carbon veil and dope.
I'm also worried that the twisting will crack up the plane's finish. I don't want to eliminate the tabs because it's part of the original design and this is a VSC ship.

What to do, what to do, what to do? ???
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:06:49 AM »
Okay, you guys got me a little scared about this now. The wood in the elevators is very light C-grain and does twist some. Now I'm afraid that I won't get them stiff enough to avoid the in flight problems described here. I'm thinking my best bet is to cover them with carbon veil and epoxy. Or is that overkill? How 'bout carbon veil and dope.
I'm also worried that the twisting will crack up the plane's finish. I don't want to eliminate the tabs because it's part of the original design and this is a VSC ship.

Hi Clint,

If you are REALLY concerned, cover the elevators with .5 oz fiberglass and Z-poxy.  Just squeegie off all the Z-poxy you can.

I don't know if Jim did anything very radical to his (MAYBE double silkspan??) and it was a great flying plane.  We can, and often do, overthink much of all this.  If all the problems we can think of really existed, then we would have heard about them in the past.  Kinda like *tip stall*.  Like Ted says, at the size of our models, tip stall is not a real problem.  But many people obsess over it for years.

Come to think of it, it just might be a kind of "gamesmanship" that used to exist at contests.  Sorta like asking a golfer on the first tee, just before he sets up to swing, "Do you breath in or out on the back swing?"

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »

Clint...
I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING at this stage.  Your photos are proof enough that you are a very exacting and careful builder. Some of the best flying models that I have seen over the years have this same kind of elevator set up and work beautifully. At the speeds we fly, I HIGHLY doubt if this will ever be a serious problem.
Check out the late Gene Matheny's (one of the most winning stunt models here in the NW skys, used this same concept.
Don Shultz

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »
Maybe I'll just split the difference between panic and ignorance. I'll just use heavy silkspan and lots of paint LL~. Seriously though, is the twisting a real issue here or just a problem someone had once?
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »
Hi Clint,

I cannot say... I had never heard of a problem before Steven mentioned it.......
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »
Hi Clint,

I cannot say... I had never heard of a problem before Steven mentioned it.......
Gene Matheny....years go (grey airplane above) had an old T Bird that he made a series of experiments with balanced elevators and found that the basic concept has some real merit to reduce the loads that occur on hard corners. He found that the majority of stunt models available in those early daze' often were designed with stab and elevators that were simply too flimsy' built to lightly to withstand the heavy G loads that many stunters would be subjected to (especially in higher wind conditions and again if the models weight was on the "biggins-side"

That grey "Genie Bird" of Gene's was built EXTREMELY LIGHT IN WEIGHT....and in those days we didn't have exotic graphic-fiberglass and beefy glues to HOLD EVERY THING TOGETHER...and often models of that period had some pretty short life spans n' DIDN'T HAVE VERY MUCH LONGEVITY.
 Many were retired early (crashed) from flutter & stress cracks. Gene found that by utilizing those balance tab elevators...this beautiful light weight model of his not only turned more consitantly but also tighter and grooved even better....using the balance elevator principle?
(In my Free-Flight fright  "MINI HOGAN days...etc. IT WAS PRIORITY ONE that the stab and rudders stay EXACTLY WHERE THEY WERE DESIGNED...and contests were alway won or lost...in just how well  the model stayed together during the engine run faze....and then into the transision into the proper circular glide slope path.

Nothing was worse than a stab that was softer and flexed more on one side of the stab or the other. Naturally, this would made SIZABLE changes in the flight path and could make or break an otherwise beautifully built and aligned model. 

It has always never ceased to amaze me just how little  effort stunt model builders give, when it came to the design and built up time spent on  that ALL IMPORTANT STAB-ELEVATORS.
 Especially when IT IS THE STAB AND ELEVATORS that can also MAKE OR BREAK...even the prettiest and well built stunter?
Bottom line:
Whether or not the tab'd n balance elevators are used or not....STABS AND ELEVATORS MUST REMAIN AS STIFF AND FLEX FREE AS POSSIBLE!
Over the years...I have seen more stunters built with stabs and elevators that were waaay to soft and flexible. One modified Nobler that I can remember that I tacked on  TWIN RUDDERS... That model forever BUZZZED AND FLEXED.  In fact it FLEXED SO MUCH (I swear I could see not two...BUT OFTEN FOUR RUDDERS from the blurrr of the flutter.
NOT GOOD!!!
HEY GARY LETSINGER!  YOU REMEMBER THAT MODEL....JUMP IN HERE AND TELL EM' JUST HOW FUNNY THAT MODEL LOOKED AND FLEW!! Any one  who flew that model...was always alarmed and afraid that the whole back end of that plane would part company one each and every corner. That was one really scarey model.

Here are two extremely successful ICON models...that use balanced elevators with huge success
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 02:03:43 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

steven yampolsky

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »

Ok, don't worry about them twisting too much if you take basic stiffening measures. Taper elevators just as you wanted originally! Just make sure to cover them with CF vail and light silkspan. That's ALL that is needed on elevators this small. If you want extra insurance, do what Bill suggests and apply fiberglass. Although epoxy is fine, I still prefer using nitrate to stick it down and silkspan over that. Either way, you will have good stiff elevators.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »
Ok, don't worry about them twisting too much if you take basic stiffening measures. Taper elevators just as you wanted originally! Just make sure to cover them with CF vail and light silkspan. That's ALL that is needed on elevators this small. If you want extra insurance, do what Bill suggests and apply fiberglass. Although epoxy is fine, I still prefer using nitrate to stick it down and silkspan over that. Either way, you will have good stiff elevators.

AMEN...AND AMEN, STEVE!!! YES! GO BOLDLY FORWARD! SHOULD BE A GREAT MODEL AS IS..especially after looking at your extremely artistical' building skills on those photos.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here