News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:53:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carl Goldberg P40 Warhawk  (Read 1937 times)

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Carl Goldberg P40 Warhawk
« on: March 12, 2022, 04:32:07 PM »
Strange i haven't seen any post about this kit. It was the first or second 'large' plane i built in my youth some 40 years ago. Anyone familiar with it? 

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Carl Goldberg P40 Warhawk
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 05:31:31 PM »

I built one years ago, possibly when it came out. I had a Mc Coy35 on it. The plane could be built as a C/L model or R/C model. I still have a complete kit.....Gene

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 09:53:32 PM »
Strange i haven't seen any post about this kit. It was the first or second 'large' plane i built in my youth some 40 years ago. Anyone familiar with it?

A neat simple design that first caught my eye years ago with a photo of a very nicely done one in Dick Sarpolus' C/L book "Flying Around". I imagine it would perform about identically to the Goldberg "Shoestring", essentially the same plane except the P-40 wing has a straight leading edge compared to the slight sweep of the Shoestring L/E. I've built a few of the Shoestrings and enjoyed them all, just an honest fun airplane to fly. I've got two NIB P-40 kits on the shelf and really hope to dig into one someday.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 04:39:50 AM »
Seeing the kit box brings back nice memories. might have to add that to my build list.

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 04:41:42 AM »
A neat simple design that first caught my eye years ago with a photo of a very nicely done one in Dick Sarpolus' C/L book "Flying Around". I imagine it would perform about identically to the Goldberg "Shoestring", essentially the same plane except the P-40 wing has a straight leading edge compared to the slight sweep of the Shoestring L/E. I've built a few of the Shoestrings and enjoyed them all, just an honest fun airplane to fly. I've got two NIB P-40 kits on the shelf and really hope to dig into one someday.
I guess you wouldnt want to part with one of your P40 Kits?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 07:53:11 PM »
I guess you wouldnt want to part with one of your P40 Kits?

Sent you a PM.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 06:43:49 PM »

Kevin, please check your PM.

Wayne Willey

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 09:16:21 AM »
Was this the same as the "Black Tiger" featured in MAN or FM yrs back? Just curious.
Bill P.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »
Was this the same as the "Black Tiger" featured in MAN or FM yrs back? Just curious.

No, this is a profile model.
    Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 06:56:41 PM »

Nope, totally different design.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 06:57:46 PM »

Kevin, shipping info is in your PM.

Wayne Willey

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 07:04:27 AM »
My mistake on the name. Not the Black Tiger but how about the Nov 62 MAN article by Gatto...P40 combat profile with 43" ws for 19-35 engines?
Bill P.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 08:23:25 AM »
My mistake on the name. Not the Black Tiger but how about the Nov 62 MAN article by Gatto...P40 combat profile with 43" ws for 19-35 engines?

I would need to pull the kit plans and compare to the magazine plan, but from what I can remember, that may be a possibility. That design was by Paul Del Gatto, I think is the full name. Worth a trip to the files to check out.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 05:10:03 PM »
No Flappers

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2022, 05:45:52 PM »

This is the Paul DelGatto design, it's own animal and not related to the Goldberg kit...

https://freercplans.com/plan-p-40-1725.htm

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 06:50:59 PM »
 I got as far as framing up the wing for mine, somewhere around 10 years ago. It's still hanging in my shop, I pulled it down just now for these photos.

I don't recall what the kit plan dictates, but I re-spaced my ribs for more wing area/span, shown here in the attached photos. This of course required starting with new L/E and T/E stock and pre-notching accordingly for the ribs. I went with 2-1/2" spacing for ribs R-1 through R-7. Spacing between R-7 and R-8 is 2". Spacing between R-8 and R-9 is 2-1/4". There is 1/2" between the two R-9's at center. This yields 39-1/2" between the tip ribs, R-1 to R-1. I forget what the overall span with the finished built up wingtips added came out to. I added shear webs as well, not part of the original design.
 I planned to stretch the fuse too but couldn't find the pattern/template I made to show here. I planned cutting a new 1/2" thick fuse which is why I spaced the two center wing ribs at that dimension. I think I'd planned an extra 2-1/2" or 3" in overall length, simply tracing the kit outline while retaining the designed fuse height and stab position at the fin/rudder line. With these mods I would also make up a new stab and elevator with 2" to 3" more overall span.
 Doing all of this doesn't really make it a "Goldberg" P-40 anymore but I think the model would present and fly even better than the original. Either way it's done, it would be a great, fun, Sport/Stunt model.  y1

Wayne Willey

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
You can download or see the plans here for free. They also have the ribs formers and tips.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5127

Strange when you look at the photo of the P40 on there the eye is way out of location.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:51:58 AM by kevin king »

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »
I got as far as framing up the wing for mine, somewhere around 10 years ago. It's still hanging in my shop, I pulled it down just now for these photos.

I don't recall what the kit plan dictates, but I re-spaced my ribs for more wing area/span, shown here in the attached photos. This of course required starting with new L/E and T/E stock and pre-notching accordingly for the ribs. I went with 2-1/2" spacing for ribs R-1 through R-7. Spacing between R-7 and R-8 is 2". Spacing between R-8 and R-9 is 2-1/4". There is 1/2" between the two R-9's at center. This yields 39-1/2" between the tip ribs, R-1 to R-1. I forget what the overall span with the finished built up wingtips added came out to. I added shear webs as well, not part of the original design.
 I planned to stretch the fuse too but couldn't find the pattern/template I made to show here. I planned cutting a new 1/2" thick fuse which is why I spaced the two center wing ribs at that dimension. I think I'd planned an extra 2-1/2" or 3" in overall length, simply tracing the kit outline while retaining the designed fuse height and stab position at the fin/rudder line. With these mods I would also make up a new stab and elevator with 2" to 3" more overall span.
 Doing all of this doesn't really make it a "Goldberg" P-40 anymore but I think the model would present and fly even better than the original. Either way it's done, it would be a great, fun, Sport/Stunt model.  y1
What engine you planning on using? Are you going to add a cheek cowl?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 07:51:19 PM »
 Not sure when/if I'll get back to it.  If so no cheek cowl but would do a full tripler over the inboard nose section, power would be an FP .35 or .40.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 08:45:12 PM »
  The rest of the story on my framed up wing, and why this P-40 never got finished...

I had planned on also adding a bit of diehedral, since the wing is mounted slightly below the fuse center line. Plus, I just thought it would look cool.
 I started by carefully blocking each of the tip ribs up 3/4' inch. Keep in mind these ribs are also tapered vertically from center to tip. I meticulously went through the whole assembly process, centering the ribs vertically to both the L/E and T/E sections that were pinned down and never realized THE MISTAKE. I glued up the entire thing and then pulled it off the board. Um, WTF? It was only then that I discovered I had boffed the entire thing. I had glued the all the ribs to the blocked up T/E perfectly and following the diehedral as planned but somehow went brain dead along the way and had kept the L/E unblocked and parallel with the board. I ended up with a very nicely built junk wing, good for nothing but a shop ornament. Sigh.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:54:55 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 02:48:33 AM »
I know the feeling Warbird. I botched up my Vector 40 wing awhile back but fortunately a friend  jumped in and got it straight as an arrow. 😁 

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 03:42:00 AM »

Kevin, i'd really be interested in following a thread on building the Goldberg P-40 once you get to putting it together. It just might light a fire under me to build mine!.....Gene

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 11:06:38 AM »
Could do Gene. It would be awhile as i have alot of of planes to build before i get to the Goldberg P-40

Kevin

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2022, 07:53:08 PM »
Kevin, i'd really be interested in following a thread on building the Goldberg P-40 once you get to putting it together. It just might light a fire under me to build mine!.....Gene

Me too.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2022, 08:24:11 PM »
I built one about 30 years ago. As stated, could be built as R/C or C/L. I believe it was Carl Goldberg's answer to the Sterling F6F Hellcat which came out a little earlier and also could be built as an R/C or C/L. I remeber it as a good looking model but not a great flier. The Goldberg Shoestring/Buster/Cosmic Wind designs all flew better.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here