News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cardinal ARC Fuselage Openings, Etc  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Joe Rice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cardinal ARC Fuselage Openings, Etc
« on: March 06, 2021, 11:03:43 AM »
I dusted off a Cardinal ARC project that was shelved for a few years.  I had installed Tom Morris controls and it is set up for a OS LA 46 prepped by Randy.  I had planned to cover the fuse with Polyspan aft of the wing, but was wondering if diagonal cross bracing in the cutouts would be beneficial.

I also have a Cardinal kit well underway and would like to use my Aero Tiger 36.  I am guessing this would be a good match?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cardinal ARC Fuselage Openings, Etc
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:44:28 AM »
I dusted off a Cardinal ARC project that was shelved for a few years.  I had installed Tom Morris controls and it is set up for a OS LA 46 prepped by Randy.  I had planned to cover the fuse with Polyspan aft of the wing, but was wondering if diagonal cross bracing in the cutouts would be beneficial.

I also have a Cardinal kit well underway and would like to use my Aero Tiger 36.  I am guessing this would be a good match?

Thanks,

Joe
Tail wiggle is a curse and I have not seen a Cardinal that didn't have some tail weight added.  Not only would I put in "V" braces, I would sheet it with 1/64 plywood or 1/32 balsa.  Too late for CF tubes...maybe not.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:21:14 AM »
Far as I can tell the Cardinal ARC Fues is not balsa. Some kind of sappy hardwood. Sheeting could help. Even 1/16" balsa. The ones I've seen don't seem tail heavy. Yep. Swap out the controls. Good idea. I'd use carbon tube pushrods. It's a long way to the elevator horn.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 09:24:49 PM »
Could inlay 1/16th sht. ea. side. grain voiticle .

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
Diagonals (balsa) and sheeting will stiffen it more than filling with balsa; the grain direction countering torque loads is the key. Completing by sheeting over with balsa, rather than plastic covering that they use,
 is MUCH stiffer. - SK

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 08:58:31 PM »
Diagonals (balsa) and sheeting will stiffen it more than filling with balsa; the grain direction countering torque loads is the key. Completing by sheeting over with balsa, rather than plastic covering that they use,
 is MUCH stiffer. - SK

Ditto!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 05:20:50 AM »
I appreciate all of your ideas for stiffening the Cardinal ARC fuselage.  I will go with the diagonal bracing in the openings and balsa sheeting on a bias.  Good stuff...thanks  :)

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here