Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Carbon Fiber Veil help???

(1/3) > >>

Ralph Wenzel (d):
I have .2 oz. CF veil from CST Composites. I'm trying to apply it with clear dope. So far, I've found 3 wrong ways! There has to be a good method to do this, or there wouldn't be so many folks using it. Someone ? ? ?

Bill Little:
Hi Ralph,

Just what is the problems you're having? 

I use Nitrate and with the soft veil I get from Randy Smith, it is as easy as applying silkspan.

??? ??? ??? ???

Bill <><

Ralph Wenzel (d):
Maybe using Brodkak butyrate is where I'm messing up? The surface has been sanded and doped to a faint sheen.

1) I've tried just laying the veil on the surface and gently brushing new dope on - The veil disintegrates.
2) Dope the surface first and lay the CF Veil on, pressing it down gently with fingers
3) Dope the surface, lay the CF downand cover with waxed paper and then pressing that down - The veil comes off with the waxed paper

Does the veil disintegrate when you use nitrate dope? I can start over, I guess, and consider this a lesson learned several different ways. Rats!

Forgot to say, but the CF I'm using is from The Composite Store, and is very soft and pliable. The .2 oz./yd. stuff.

wmiii:
 I would suggest that you thin the dope by a lot, or  just use thinner and your  finger tips. The .2thous  as stated, is as easy as silkspan.

Walter

Bill Little:
Hi Ralph,

I use very thinned out dope brushed softly over the veil. It is thinned more than 75% thinner.  After I get it stuck down,  I can brush on heavier coats.  I am *finally* getting a Werwage Vulcan done, and I used only nitrate to stick everything down, and as a filler.  There is no grain visible on the plane. 

Be gentle and use very thinned dope, or straight thinner as Walter said, to stick it down.  Don't be concerned if it overlaps quite a bit, it sands so easy that it's pathetic.

Bill <><

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version