News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carbon Control rods size  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Electric George

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Carbon Control rods size
« on: January 18, 2021, 08:26:22 AM »
Hi All,

I am thinking of using carbon tube and ball links on my Sig banshee instead of the supplied wires. What size should I use? I have some 5mm carbon tube but it looks quite chunky?

Also the plan shows a taper in the fuselage at the rear which of course looks right but I started to wonder if it produces a weak spot? Or am I over thinking again and should just get sanding!!!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Carbon Control rods size
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »
Hi All,

I am thinking of using carbon tube and ball links on my Sig banshee instead of the supplied wires. What size should I use? I have some 5mm carbon tube but it looks quite chunky?

Also the plan shows a taper in the fuselage at the rear which of course looks right but I started to wonder if it produces a weak spot? Or am I over thinking again and should just get sanding!!!
I used 5mm on my Twister an everything else for that matter.  I think Morris used 3/16" which is a tad under 5mm.  Taper after the stab center doesn't hurt anything and makes the plane look better but don't taper before you get to the stab.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 02:43:04 AM »
I used 5mm on my Twister an everything else for that matter.  I think Morris used 3/16" which is a tad under 5mm.  Taper after the stab center doesn't hurt anything and makes the plane look better but don't taper before you get to the stab.

ken

Thanks Ken,
Good to know...I shall go ahead and use the carbon tube I have and taper after the stab center.

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »
What are you using for rod ends to screw into the ball links?

Motorman 8)

This is how I make mine. See the attached PDF file. If you can't find carbon fiber arrow shafts, you purchase Carbon Fiber Round Pultruded Tubing for ACP Composites: https://store.acpcomposites.com/carbon-fiber-pultruded-tubing?quantity=1&dimensions=38&resin=4

Dennis

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
Thanks Dennis. Stuff like this is why I love this forum.

Mike

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.

Motorman- Some years ago I purchased some carbon push rod tubes that came with ball links and threaded couplers that are glued to the end using epoxy or cyano (they also have optional pins that go through holes in the coupler barrel). They are fairly substantial and were designed for an R/C 90-120 glow size aerobatic model.

Dennis- thanks for the pdf, that is handy to know for the future.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here