News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canopies, bunch of choices there so, "What say you?"  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Canopies, bunch of choices there so, "What say you?"
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
I've placed canopies on models a few different ways, plus I'm sure we all know there are many ways to do this.

What's your favorite method of attaching a canopy. Photo if you got them?

I'll be attaching this canopy shortly. You'll see how I do mine in The New American build Thread.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Canopies, bunch of choices there so, "What say you?"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
I fit the canopy, cut a channel for it to seat in and glue it down. Then tape off and use some SuperFil to feather it in.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
I fit the canopy, cut a channel for it to seat in and glue it down. Then tape off and use some SuperFil to feather it in.

DITTO
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the reply.

Obviously, I started the Thread because I'm fishing.

SuperFil, which BTW I have no experience with, sticks to canopy material? You must scratch up the canopy where the SuperFil is. Correct?

Thanks,

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
yes to both your questions - you just need to lightly key the canopy where you put epoxy,  I usually mask it first (dry fit) then sand up to the mask line - then glue - then fill
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

steven yampolsky

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:19:17 AM »

Someone on this forum(escapes me who) suggested double taping to avoid the tiny ridge created then the tape pulled. Basically, put down tape were you expect to be, then add a second tape that extends 1/16 into the area where the filler is going. Feather the filler as expected, then when it's starting to set, pull the tape and smooth the last 1/6 by finger for a perfect ridge-less fill

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
Good tip Steve !
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

steven yampolsky