News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CA not working like it shood?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
CA not working like it shood?
« on: March 29, 2022, 02:06:44 PM »
Anyone else experience CA, the ultra thin, not working like it normally does? Slow, so slow?

I believe I read something some time back about this?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CA not working like it shood?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 02:33:47 PM »
Anyone else experience CA, the ultra thin, not working like it normally does? Slow, so slow?

I believe I read something some time back about this?

Charles
Yes, my last two bottles of BSI set way too slow and as a result ran into places it shouldn't have or found fingers to stick to that were supposedly out of harms way.

The new stuff I ordered from Starbond sets like normal.  Haven't noticed any strength loss, just SLOW.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 02:52:54 PM »
What temp is the shop?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:20:07 PM »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 05:35:13 PM »
My shop is currently the kitchen countertop.  77 degrees in the house.

Silk dry with CA didn't work all that well, the CA wouldn't set up. It was a struggle, but I got through it.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 05:56:58 PM »
I've had the same problem, thought it was the cold, just have to use kicker I guess.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 06:10:07 PM »
I've had the same problem, thought it was the cold, just have to use kicker I guess.

Motorman,

Yes, I used the kicker but that got the silk wet. It was a struggle but I did manage to finish the stab and elevator bottom on one side of the model.

Photo tomorrow possibly.

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 07:36:05 PM »
Charles,
When I was covering the Barnstormer wing with silk using the CA approach I had to try several brands. It seems that if the CA has been sitting around for a while it kicks slower (except for fingers). It seems some of the stuff just took longer than you want to use it as pins. I found the CA from Home Depot in the small tubes worked well and was fresh so it kicked good.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »
Charles,
When I was covering the Barnstormer wing with silk using the CA approach I had to try several brands. It seems that if the CA has been sitting around for a while it kicks slower (except for fingers). It seems some of the stuff just took longer than you want to use it as pins. I found the CA from Home Depot in the small tubes worked well and was fresh so it kicked good.

Best,   DennisT

Den,

I think I'll stop killing myself and pick up a fresh bottle. The "drop" should hold immediately.

I've had CA get "solid" as a rock, just sitting on a shelf.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
As I forgot where I left my bottle of CA, I bought a new bottle of Gorilla thin CA.  I am thinking what a waste.  Even breathing on it did not help.  About a minute later it finnaly went off.   I did find my bottle Of CA in nthe house that I took in for a project for the wife.   It works great. D>K

Now if I still smoked there probably would be no problem as That is how I would set CA off way back then. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 06:51:06 PM »
Managed to get through the bottom, but waiting for the CA to dry and bite, takes a bit of time with my current bottle of CA.

I never purchased CA at Home Depot before but I'll give it a try. Or Hobby Lobby. That's all we have.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here