News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CA Gets Hard  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CA Gets Hard
« on: June 08, 2019, 05:25:02 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 08:17:52 AM by Motorman »

Offline Dave Holtsclaw

• Lieutenant
Re: CA Gets Hard
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
I keep mine in the freezer lasts for about two years

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »
Make sure your kicker is stored away from the CA. The worst is to have CA and kicker together in one of those nice looking glue caddies.

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:27:02 AM »
Keep it in the fridge ... in a glass jar for safety.  Slow or gap filling CA seems worst for this in my experience.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »
I keep mine in a sealed container with desiccant. Works great.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »
Great discussion. So the little bottle stored in my freezer now will soon be surrounded by a tightly sealed glass jar also containing a few of those silica gel packets. Maybe overkill, but easy enough to do.

Thanks!

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
I have had a couple of bottles of slow cure (I Use JB Super because I can get it at Walmart) thicken up on me but I have never had the thin stuff do it.  I buy the small bottles and don't buy more till I need it.  If it gets thick I just throw it away. Our refrigerator is off limits ever since my wife found a set of batteries in the vegetable drawer (hey it was empty so I didn't see the problem).
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
Hi

KlassKote 2K (mixed) keeps well for a couple of days in the fridge.  Oracolor 2K not so good.

I too am now banned from using the fridge except for CA glues :)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »
I only buy one ounce bottles of both thin and gap filling.  I buy two or three at a time and keep the unopened ones in the freezer.  I date them when I get them with a sharpie so I can track the use.  I only use BSI adhesives.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
This is going to sound like a tall tale but I had  new stock CA in the freezer and forgotten for about 8 years. Pulled it out and let it come to room temperature and it worked and I did some testing on the strength of the bond and it was really great. It was Balsa USA brand and it has always been one of my preferred CA glues. Incidentally I don't have a refrigerator/Freezer police person watching what is in the Refrigerator.
Hint. Wrap your glue in aluminum foil for storage. Just don't wrap it so it looks like an ice pack or you just might forget that you have it in there.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 08:15:17 PM »
This is going to sound like a tall tale but I had  new stock CA in the freezer and forgotten for about 8 years. Pulled it out and let it come to room temperature and it worked and I did some testing on the strength of the bond and it was really great. It was Balsa USA brand and it has always been one of my preferred CA glues. Incidentally I don't have a refrigerator/Freezer police person watching what is in the Refrigerator.
Hint. Wrap your glue in aluminum foil for storage. Just don't wrap it so it looks like an ice pack or you just might forget that you have it in there.
Freezer police are on to that one.  n1

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 03:39:37 PM »
Sun light? Or understabilised compound.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
My basement is about 57F so feels like a freezer. Could a 2oz bottle harden faster than a 1oz?

Think about what you just said and you answered your own question. The glue gets hard because it is reacting. The more volume you have the quicker it reacts. Moisture is part of what sets off CA glue. I never tried it, but I read somewhere once that if you needed kicker and were out of it, you could substitute a saline solution in a fine pump sprayer.  Keep your glue away form the kicker when not in use. Once it's open it may not help to put it back in the freezer. As the air in the bottle chills and contracts, it can suck in moisture so it needs to be air tight. I don't get to build as much as I would like and have wasted so much over the years, I have gone to using the small tubes from harbor Freight. They seem to last forever even if not in a freezer and if you don't use one up before it gets hard, you haven't lost much. But that rarely seems to happen, and I think it may be different from the hobby brand of CA glues.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here