News:

• May 13, 2024, 02:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soldering Gun  (Read 2962 times)

Offline KEITH McCRARY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Soldering Gun
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
 Help. I am trying to solder two lengths of 1/8" music wire together. These are for landing gears. 8.5" long tied together with very thin copper wire at 3 points. Flux was used and silver solder. My aim is to bend them as one unit and then melt the solder away. Resulting in identical gears. They are clamped with wood.

My problem is I can not get the solder to melt. I am holding it on the wire to be soldered. Nothing. My gun is a Weller 140/100 watt pistol grip gun.

Any suggestions? Better better gun or set up. Or better way to bend identical gears.

Keith McCrary

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:12:22 AM by KEITH McCRARY »

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
Re: Soldering Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
Keith
Why don't you tape them together. I do.
It also protects the wire from bender marks.

Norm

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Keith, My weller has tempermental moments,, maybe yours is too.
I discovered that you periodically need to remove the solder tip, clean the contact points, and reset the allen screws that hold it in. or just replace the tip.
I fought and fought,, until I discovered this. I have had to do it a couple times a year on mine.

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »
Keith, My weller has tempermental moments,, maybe yours is too.
I discovered that you periodically need to remove the solder tip, clean the contact points, and reset the allen screws that hold it in. or just replace the tip.
I fought and fought,, until I discovered this. I have had to do it a couple times a year on mine.
That's exactly what I was going to point out.  The basic design of those guns puts a lot of current through the tip at a very low voltage; if those contact points get the least bit dirty then the voltage can't overcome the dirt, and nothing works.

If there's much differential strain on the wires at all the solder joint won't hold.  I've never been able to get the whole "do the same thing to two things at once" method to work for me -- I always end up just doing things one at a time, and tweaking the second one until it matches the first.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
Soldering guns are good for nothing except electrical.  The tips are too small to conduct the necessary heat. You are not getting enough heat at the tip and/or or your tip is very dirty and or corroded from the acid core flux you have been using which the tip on those electrical guns will mess up.  You need a soldering iron (pencil) minimum 40 watt.  For silver solder you can go up to 100 watt iron available from stained glass supply houses or a propane torch.

For your application 60/40 rosin core solder should be enough.  Silver solder is "hard" solder that should be used under areas of sustained stress.  It has a higer melting point.  Use acid core flux when corrosion is not an issue.

Just keep bending man and you are bound to get it right.  Leave excess stock on the ends to make grabbing and bending easier then cut off the excess.  Wire is cheap.  Good luck.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
Joseph,
respectfully, I disagree,
I build all my own tanks, ( and some for other people too) I solder wires, connectors, and landing gear sized wire with my Weller,, It works just fine.
yes there may be more specialized tools for some things, but soldering two pieces of 1/8 music wire together I believe would really tax the limits of a 40 watt pencil,,
different strokes for different folds, However, my Weller is my go to soldering tool,, I have a magnetic tip, 30 watt, soldering pencil for electronics,, but for most things, I grab the weller,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
One other thing to check is whether your tip wire nuts - (the things that hold the metal tips onto the gun) are tight. I had a Weller that would not heat the solder, & was going to toss it out, thinking it was too old or worn out; but I found out that the holding nuts were not tight enough. When I really clamped down on these, it heated like new.  Ed

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
Ed, Yep,, some have allen screws, some use the nuts,, good catch,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
Joseph,
respectfully, I disagree,
I build all my own tanks, ( and some for other people too) I solder wires, connectors, and landing gear sized wire with my Weller,, It works just fine.
yes there may be more specialized tools for some things, but soldering two pieces of 1/8 music wire together I believe would really tax the limits of a 40 watt pencil,,
different strokes for different folds, However, my Weller is my go to soldering tool,, I have a magnetic tip, 30 watt, soldering pencil for electronics,, but for most things, I grab the weller,,

I agree with Mark on the utility of the soldering gun.  I personally prefer a monster soldering "pencil" (100W, it's over a foot long and weighs more than a pound).  But the pistol-grip soldering guns give fine service if you keep them in good shape; no way, no how, are they "only good for electrical".  If that's your experience, then you're probably not taking good enough care of the gun.

If you do a lot of soldering it's probably a good idea to try both and decide what's best for you -- but either kind will give good service if kept up, both kinds need keeping up, and both kinds have their advantages and disadvantages.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
Don't just tighten the hold down nuts or set screws.  Loosen them first and run them back and forth to get rid of the oxidation that has been mentioned. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »
Don't just tighten the hold down nuts or set screws.  Loosen them first and run them back and forth to get rid of the oxidation that has been mentioned. 

And if that doesn't work, take the tip off completely, Clean everything, and put it all back together.

It's corrosion that prevents the current flow.  Tightening things down just tends to break through the corroded metal -- but if the corrosion is too thick, then tightening won't help.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
Hey Mark:

Out of curiosity, have you used a Really Big soldering pencil, not one of those dinky little 40W jobbies?  Mine's 80W (I was wrong about the 100W part), and has approximately the same thermal mass as a Harley Davidson motorcycle.  Just for chuckles, since I'm building a tank right now, I tried using a temperature-controlled electronics iron that I use for circuit board assembly (I was going to use a pistol-grip gun -- but I couldn't find any!!).  It sucked -- as soon as the thing touched the metal I could hear the controller click on, and the heat was just plain inadequate unless I really went slowly.  On the other hand, once "Bertha" warms up she'll melt any solder in her path, and since she's got a sharp-pointed tongue on her I can get pretty fine control.
AMA 64232

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
I agree with Mark on the utility of the soldering gun.  I personally prefer a monster soldering "pencil" (100W, it's over a foot long and weighs more than a pound).  But the pistol-grip soldering guns give fine service if you keep them in good shape; no way, no how, are they "only good for electrical".  If that's your experience, then you're probably not taking good enough care of the gun.

If you do a lot of soldering it's probably a good idea to try both and decide what's best for you -- but either kind will give good service if kept up, both kinds need keeping up, and both kinds have their advantages and disadvantages.

Gentlemen

Respectfully, I would not post anything on this site that I pulled out of my ass.

"Trying both" to see their advantages is a waste of time.  Please google and provide information on any professional soldering stations that come with a gun.

Someone stated that they use a "five pound foot long" 100 watt iron.  Respectfully, I submit that this iron was purchased in 1946 or you got it from Harbor Frieght.

Here is a link for the current state of affairs in 100 watt irons:

http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/tools/ironsInland.html

or just google inland 100 watt soldering irons.

Please cite the advantages of the soldering gun.  Is there a variety of tips available?  Just what is the "utility" of the soldering gun?

It is interesting to note that based on what soldering experience that you have that you have determined that the gun is best, and that anyone who has a different experience than you does not know how to maintain a soldering gun correctly, and therefore, could not possibly know as much as you do on the subject.

I "do" and have done a lot of soldering.  I raced slot cars on commercial tracks for a number of years.  Commercial slot cars do 3-5 second laps on a 155' banked road course depending on the class that is running.  Solder to slot cars is what glue is to model airplanes.  You are required to make precise, accurate and strong electrical and mechanical joints that withstand the stress of racing.  Frequently you have to solder between heats to replace a burned up motor.  The iron is left on for the entire race.   Go to your local commercial track (if you have one) and see what the guys there are using.

Here is the link to serious soldering equipment:

http://www.e-slotcar.com/catalog/32

or just google e-slot cars and look in the soldering section.

See any guns in there?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
"Trying both" to see their advantages is a waste of time.

Any time that a group of well-established folks in a community disagree on what tool they use you're best off trying all to see which ones are best.  I'll claim that for common sense, but if that's not good enough for you -- it's my personal advise.

Please google and provide information on any professional soldering stations that come with a gun.

Since you said that soldering guns are only good for electronics, and since soldering stations are primarily for electronics, that's an odd suggestion to make.

Someone stated that they use a "five pound foot long" 100 watt iron.  Respectfully, I submit that this iron was purchased in 1946 or you got it from Harbor Frieght.

You quoted what I said, and you still missed the fact that I said it was probably over one pound?  Debate all you want, but please be accurate.
(Judging from the AC cord I think your 1946 estimate is a bit late, by the way).

Here is a link for the current state of affairs in 100 watt irons:

http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/tools/ironsInland.html

or just google inland 100 watt soldering irons.

We'll all just have to take your word for it that a $20 soldering iron is "state of the art".

Please cite the advantages of the soldering gun.  Is there a variety of tips available?  Just what is the "utility" of the soldering gun?

I'm can't do so enthusiastically, because I think they're second best.  But they're hardly useless.  If there is one advantage over any non-temperature-controlled soldering iron: you pull the trigger, and before you've taken a breath the solder is melting.  You can't do that with a soldering iron.

It is interesting to note that based on what soldering experience that you have that you have determined that the gun is best, and that anyone who has a different experience than you does not know how to maintain a soldering gun correctly, and therefore, could not possibly know as much as you do on the subject.

Having used soldering guns for over 35 years, knowing what they're good for and what they're lousy at, and given your rejection of them for this job, I do indeed find it pretty easy to suspect that perhaps you weren't using the gun correctly.

But you ask about my experience:

I'm 49, and I've been soldering as part of hobby work and for pay since I was at least 12.  I've used a variety of trigger-operated soldering guns, irons of various wattages both temperature controlled and not, soldering "shoes" heated with oxy-acetyline torches then applied to the work, and torches both acetylene and propane.   I've soldered circuit boards, electronic connectors, structural parts of model airplanes, applied lead for old-style auto body work, soldered stained glass, and soldered copper pipes for plumbing.  In addition I've got some experience with brazing steel to steel (which is a lot like soldering, except your work glows in the dark), and some small experience with casting small model parts from lead and solder.  Oh -- and I've soldered sheet metal both for model airplane fuel tanks and heavier gauge structural sheet metal work.

So yes, I do feel like I'm qualified to speak on this subject, perhaps more than the average Joe, and on the relative merits of the tools that one might bring to bear.

I "do" and have done a lot of soldering.  I raced slot cars on commercial tracks for a number of years.  Commercial slot cars do 3-5 second laps on a 155' banked road course depending on the class that is running.  Solder to slot cars is what glue is to model airplanes.  You are required to make precise, accurate and strong electrical and mechanical joints that withstand the stress of racing.  Frequently you have to solder between heats to replace a burned up motor.  The iron is left on for the entire race.   Go to your local commercial track (if you have one) and see what the guys there are using.

Here is the link to serious soldering equipment:

http://www.e-slotcar.com/catalog/32

or just google e-slot cars and look in the soldering section.

See any guns in there?

So, you've soldered dinky little wires onto dinky little motors, and you don't like soldering guns.  I can understand that -- before I used a soldering gun for that particular job I'd probably heat a nail in a candle and see if I could tin it (or just drive the nail into my forehead as a less-painful alternative to attempting such a job with such an inappropriate tool).

But soldering wires onto prepared tabs is considerably different from soldering sheet metal -- which I know, because I've done a lot of both.  What relevant soldering experience can you cite?  What have you soldered with trigger-operated guns?  How long have you been soldering with guns, and did you just try once then stop using them, or did you really try to work out the process?  What variety of methods have you used to solder thin-gauge sheet metal, and what do you feel are the relative merits of each method?  How many different things have you soldered, and do you have a feel for what tool is the best for each different material?
AMA 64232

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »
Tim

I like that average joe thing.  Quite clever.  Touche.

I like that "dinky" slot car thing too.

As for concensus or disagreement on which tool to use, casual research into professional soldering equipment will make it quite clear that the preferred tool for soldering is the iron, not the gun, for both mechanical and electrical soldering. 

The trigger on the gun is there to keep you from burning the house down.  Which, I'll admit, is a dammned good feature.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
I like that average joe thing.
I actually didn't pay attention to the convergence of your name and the cliche, if that's what you mean -- oh well, I probably would have used it anyway.

I'm not saying that a soldering gun is best, I'm just saying that it's not too bad.  Since there are obviously folks who prefer it (and certainly more folks that just Mark) I can only conclude that it is, indeed, a matter of personal preference.  So to insist that someone use the tool that's my personal preference would be perhaps to steer them wrong.
AMA 64232

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
Well my Iron is a bit later than 1946 and was not bought from Harbour Freight but this is my weapon of choice for anything which might need a lot of heat. It is over a foot long and weighs 1lb 6oz I have mainly used it for U/C legs and soldering the leads onto nicad batteries back in my RC car racing days. (It did a lot less damage to the cells than trying to use a smaller iron).

I don't need to use it much but when enough is not quite enough and far too much is just about right it's perfect.  y1

For the record it's a Weller SI 1750 (175W) and a variety of tips are available.

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
Joseph, I am inserting the initial question here,, he states as you note, that he has a Weller gun,, he also states a problem which I have personally experienced WITH the Weller gun.
I believe I also stated that it is not the perfect choice, but that it functions. I use it for the majority of my soldering needs and have no complaints, I have soldered pretty much all the same things that Tim has, ith the addition of soldering up holes in sheet metal autobody where the old technology required drilling a hole to pull with a hook,,, ( remember that Tim?)
I am not certain why your post became rather ,, shall we say aggressive? Like Tim I question whether the 25 dollar soldering pencil you linked to is state of the art. My soldering pencil is thermo controlled, it was approximately 75 dollars some 25 years ago, and was state of the art at that time,, hard to believe today it has been replaced by a 25 dollar unit,,
regardless, if you read the question below, I think you will find that perhaps my answer was both relevant and appropriate,, and with all likely hood, will fix his problem. there is no reason the Weller gun will not make the solder joint he is attempting, unless there is an issue with the gun, which typically is corrosion between the tip legs and the gun itself,,
Help. I am trying to solder two lengths of 1/8" music wire together. These are for landing gears. 8.5" long tied together with very thin copper wire at 3 points. Flux was used and silver solder. My aim is to bend them as one unit and then melt the solder away. Resulting in identical gears. They are clamped with wood.

My problem is I can not get the solder to melt. I am holding it on the wire to be soldered. Nothing. My gun is a Weller 140/100 watt pistol grip gun.

Any suggestions? Better better gun or set up. Or better way to bend identical gears.

Keith McCrary

EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
Mark,

You did address the question as originally stated by Keith, and addressed his problem based on your experience and that is cool.  I had no intent on getting involved in a "heated" (no pun intended) argument and I apologize.

Tim,

To be fair the cheap 100 watt iron on the link I sent is not the only one listed, there are ones that are listed that are more expensive, and the Inland are not the best, however they are sufficient.  The Weller 100 iron is a monster.  I meant no harm.  I apologize to you as well.

The link to the slot car irons should be of interest to anyone checking out soldering irons.  The Hakko Watt and modified Hakko Irons are very light and heat up very fast.  They have a good balance and last forever.

Commercial slot cars are made of spring steel, music wire, sheet brass, sheet steel and tubing.  There is a bit more to it than what was implied in one of the posts.  I used guns before I got into slot cars and after building slot cars and using irons I have found that the iron is the best solution so much so that I would recommend getting an iron over a gun to anyone who asks.

For soldering tanks, rosin core 60/40 soldering, and for what Keith was trying to do (tack solder wire together....I think silver solder is unneccessary for this) a 40 watt weller temp controlled soldering station for the hobbyist at about $40.00 is a pretty good deal.  This also includes a sponge which keeps the tip clean, and gives you better joints.

I do not build tanks.  I do take them apart, plug holes and revent.  The 40 watt Weller iron works well for this, but I may be using a different technique than you do.  I use a slot car technique where you don't hold the solder in one hand.  You place the roll of solder on the bench with an end sticking up, wipe the 3/16 chisel tip on the sponge, touch the solder to get a dollop of molten solder on the tip, and flow it into the clean, fluxed joint.  The heated flux makes the solder flow into the joint by heating the surrounding metal and you get a nice light joint with good stuctural integrity.  This is difficult to do with a gun due to the tip shape.

You can do this technique with silver solder and the 40 watt but you have to use less solder with each application because of the higher melting point of the solder, which makes the tip temperature drop.

You need a clean tip (use the sponge) for this technique because the solder has to stay on the tip until you hit the joint.  If the solder rolls off the tip isn't hot enough or it is dirty or you need a new tip.  The tip should be "tinned" before the iron is turned off.

I use Lucky Bobs flux from the slot car supply.  It is acid flux (do not use on electrical connections) but comes with a handy brush in the bottle.  Koford also makes a small acid proof brush that you can use with the stay-brite flux.  This brush gives you the ability to place the flux accurately.  Some may disagree with the acid flux but I neutralize the joint with baking soda and haven't had any problems (yet).  Based on my experience the acid flux seems to transfer heat better.

With 1/8 wire where you need a permanent super strong joint with silver solder the 100 watt is probably the minimum and I would probably go with a propane torch.

Whatever you choose good luck with it.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 02:00:51 AM »

<snip>  Silver solder is "hard" solder that should be used under areas of sustained stress.  It has a higer melting point. 

Agreed...
Mapp gas has a higher temp than propane also. I noticed Plumbers and A/C techs use it exclusively.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »
I use a small butane pencil torch I bought at Lowes. It is great and has a couple of differant tips for soldering stuff.---LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
Not to throw any stones here......I've never seen any aircraft manufacturer use a soldering gun...
I have seen them use soldering irons and stations....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here