News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing Mounted Gear  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wing Mounted Gear
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:29:19 PM by Motorman »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing Mounted Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:17:29 PM »
I've got a Robins View foam wing with little hatches for wing mounted landing gear. I guess you use 1/8" music wire but do you epoxy them in place or does the cover plate hold them in ok?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
I am sure that I will get shot down but I would never glue in any landing gear.  First off, you don't really know if you have the torsion right till you land it for the first time and anybody that tells you that they never change our their gear is probably speaking with a forked tongue.  Also, you may want a second set for grass or different height to use a bigger prop.

Go wiggle some gear at a contest and you will probably find at least half of them with a little slop.  After you recover, use cover plates on yours - they work.

Ken

ps:  I am assuming you are talking about the wire, not the mounting blocks!
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
I advise you a simpliest solution:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/171504164@N04/48094484902/
and the next two photos.
Changeable music wire plugged into a plywood sandwich pocket... 
Who knows more simple?? :)
Istvan

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
I advise you a simpliest solution:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/171504164@N04/48094484902/
and the next two photos.
Changeable music wire plugged into a plywood sandwich pocket... 
Who knows more simple?? :)
Istvan
That is really cool, every bit as good as a block and no ugly cover plate.  Humm......

Ken 
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
Motorman - simple answer to a simple question.

The covers have a plywood backing and hold the 1/8 wire landing gear in fine.

Bend wire 90 degrees exactly to internal restraint (aka clip).
I bush the clip hole - see photo

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »

Jim,

Nice work, with the cover and all.

I never use a cover, extra work I don't want to do, but certainly cleaner and better looking. I go flush with those double hole keepers.

The amount of spring torsion in the gear can be controlled by the length of the wire in the grove.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 10:04:00 PM »
Motorman - simple answer to a simple question.

The covers have a plywood backing and hold the 1/8 wire landing gear in fine.

Bend wire 90 degrees exactly to internal restraint (aka clip).
I bush the clip hole - see photo
Jim,looks like it came from one of my incinerated ships.  Did it this way like, forever, but Istvan's method is quite attractive at first glance.  My only criticism is that you can't vary the stiffness by changing the length of the embedded wire.  I land pretty hot so soft gear is a big no-no for me.  Without the torsion bar the gear should be stiffer, maybe too stiff.  Guess I will just have to try it some day.  BUT, either method lets you make new shoes for your bird whenever you want.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »
LOL, I thought that was a real full sized airplane until I saw the big 'ol OS LA sticking out the side. Still looks like the engine was photo shopped into a real plane. Amazing detail.

Motorman 8)

Motorman,

It is Photoshop.  n~

I no longer have time or ambition for that kind of detail on a model that you really shouldn't put that kind of time in. I could probably word that better, but, I think it's understood.

About your gear blocks.

Knowing the quality product you have, I'l guessing the gear blocks are already in place?

As far as covers, Tom Morris sells these really tiny screws with special heads that are for that lid installation.

I have some someplace but I cannot find them or I'd put up a photo.

BTW. That Extra lid work does make for a better more detailed model. IMHO.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 01:25:05 AM »
That's what I've got. Does Brodak sell a pre bent wire, how far between the wing and the axle on a full size stunter 4.5"?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

Maybe I do not understand your question.  The landing gear legs need to be long enough to give whatever prop clearance (which sort of depends if you are taking off from grass or a paved surface and the diameter of the prop) and take into account the diameter (or rather the radius) of the wheels and also take into account how far forward the wheels are from the wire attach point on the wing (assuming a wing mounted gear which is the subject of this thread).

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here