News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Firewall location on Electric motors?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Firewall location on Electric motors?
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
I'm attempting to get some drawings completed or at least gain some progress.

It would be really helpful and speed things up a bit, if I had some measurements.

What I could use, is the measurement from the back of the spinner to the front of the motor mount.

This would be for front mounted electric motors only. And the mount being the piece, wood or other type of material your motor is bolted to, actually behind.

So, front of motor mount to back of spinner.

This diagram shows a typical electric motor placed or mounted behind a .25" thick firewall.

Between those two arrows is the measurement I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Firewall location on Electric motors?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
it depends on the spiner used,, the length of the shaft, the thickness of the firewall, etc etc,, do you have your motor? do you have your spinner? if so then its pretty easy to mock up and measure otherwise I think you are spitting in the wind,, to many variables,,

I could give you my dimensions, but my setup will be different than yours so its mute
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
Yea Mark, I guess you're right.

How foolish of me to expect someone to take a simple measurement from the forward side of their firewall to the backplate of the spinner.

I should know better.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
From the front of the motor mounting plate on my Cardinal to the front of the flange of the prop adapter where the prop or spinner backplate rests (I don't use a spinner) is 0.59" give or take a few thou.  I use a Bob Hunt 'hard nose' motor mounting plate which is only about 0.10" thick.  If you use something different the dimension I just gave above is meaningless.  I use a Cobra 2826/12 motor.  If you use a different motor than that, the dimension I just gave above may be meaningless.  I use an Eflite collet type prop adapter.  If you use something different than that, the dimension I just gave above may be meaningless.  I'm not using a spinner but you are so the dimension I just gave above is definitely meaningless.

There's no substitute for taking the parts, all of them, dry assembling them together and then taking the measurements that will actually be useful to you.  They may not be useful to anyone else but they will be the measurements that you need.  There's no shortcut possible around that process.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
The gap from the front of the fuselage ring on my Nobler to the back of the spinner is .120 measured with a vernier caliper. This appears to be what you are looking for from your drawing.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
Yea Mark, I guess you're right.

How foolish of me to expect someone to take a simple measurement from the forward side of their firewall to the backplate of the spinner.

I should know better.

Charles
Charles,, I am legitimetly attempting to save you grief,, if you rely on someone else s measurements,, you have about a 10% chance of being right,, to many different components will yeild different distances,
why can you not accept that I am trying to save you trouble, my answer is legitimate
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here