News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: build questions, or maybe just technique questions..  (Read 1364 times)

Offline P Maset

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
build questions, or maybe just technique questions..
« on: September 08, 2021, 07:55:11 AM »
Hi all, I have a couple questions for folks more advanced than me... First, somewhere over the years, I saw a wingtip weight box made with a nylon RC wing bolt and tube that mounted flush on the end of the wing. is anyone familiar with this and how it is done? Second, can anyone give me tip on building a fixture for cutting wing ribs for an I-beam wing? I saw one once, that was very slick and quick made from lite ply, but again, cant remember how it was done. TIA,

Pat

Online gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: build questions, or maybe just technique questions..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »

Pat, Google Billy Werwage I beam construction. Its on you tube. He shows every step in building an I beam wing and the device he uses to cut and make the wing ribs....gene

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »
Hi all, I have a couple questions for folks more advanced than me... First, somewhere over the years, I saw a wingtip weight box made with a nylon RC wing bolt and tube that mounted flush on the end of the wing. is anyone familiar with this and how it is done? Second, can anyone give me tip on building a fixture for cutting wing ribs for an I-beam wing? I saw one once, that was very slick and quick made from lite ply, but again, cant remember how it was done. 

Pat
Actually Pat , I have used both but a long time ago so there may be better stuff out there.  I uses an Aluminum  tube about 4" long stuck into the end of the wing with about 1/4" balsa to the tip.  This was so I could bury the bolt.  I threaded it with, I think, 1/4 28 on the inside for about an inch.  (Have to be very careful threading aluminum.  Do it by hand using small strokes)  They male a 1/4 28 nylon bolt with a flat head.  I cut mine off at 3/4".  I have seen others put the tube in from the front of the tip and use a rounded bolt head.  Looks funny but probably better because you could vary the location of the weight using plugs if you did it that way.  IMHO all of this is more trouble that a simple weight box.

Strip ribs!   I sketched (sorry but I was i a hurry!) the tool I used to cut mine way back in the late 60's when all I built were I-Beams.  Briefly, you cut the balsa into strips as wide as your template.  The side blocks are the thickness of your rib (I used medium 1/16 back then).  You cut the cover from plywood or thin aluminum.  (I was a machinist back then so I was able to do mine from scrap aluminum on my lunch break).  You slide the balsa into the slot, cut the rib at the top, take it out then push the sheet up to the stop, cut another, etc.  Make sure the Template extends over the ends of the blocks, my drawing is not to scale.  "Back in the day" 6" sheets of good balsa were easy to find.  As a note, this is light years more accurate than doing it by hand.  #11 blades are cheap in bulk - use a sharp one.

If you have access to a band saw you can also stack 10-20 blanks and cut them that way.  Don't use a vibrating "Dremmel" type, they are not very accurate on large stacks.

Good luck - Ken

PS. Gene's post led me to watch the Video.  There is a reason Bill Werwage and Steve Wolley (RIP) were my idols as a kid.  Today was the first time I saw his jig for cutting ribs.  Both do the same thing but I like his better.  If you have never built one, PLEASE watch that video from start to end.  He passes on golden hints as if they were simple well known steps that it took me years to learn.  Too bad they didn't have YouTube in 1964.

Just an FYI, an I-Beam is a fantastic base for a sheeted wing as well. 

Another thought on tip weight.  I am willing to bet there are some plastic bottle tube shaped with twist off stopper type caps.  It's Google time - got to go
https://www.amazon.com/Honbay-12pcs-Plastic-Tubes-Container/dp/B075K92Y2T/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=15mm+plastic+test+tubes+screw+top&qid=1631128044&s=industrial&sr=1-6
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 01:08:30 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
 H^^  y1
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline P Maset

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 05:07:33 PM »
Thank you to everyone! Turns out the Billy Werwage video is where I saw the rib cutting fixture! I have built two I-beamers before, but both were laser cut kits! and thank you for the input on the wing tip weights as well!

Pat

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here