News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Vector 40 Wing-Fuselage Joint with Yellow Wood Glue?  (Read 1139 times)

Online Kafin Noe’man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Hi,

I’ve just received my Vector ARF and I have some questions to ask regarding wing to fuselage assembly.

In the manual, it says we can use CA glue to join the wing to the fuselage, however, I don’t think I would do that. I’m not sure if the CA will hold that join strong enough.

So, I was thinking about applying the aliphatic resin (yellow wood glue) on the centre of the wing and the inside fuselage ‘saddle’ where the wood parts touch each other. I believe this will give me enough time to do some alignment adjustment before the glue cures.

When I get everything in place, I will then ‘inject’ epoxy with a syringe from each sides of the wing-fuselage joint to fill in the gap and hope the epoxy will also go inside so it bonds the wing and its ‘saddle’ in the fuselage.

Do you think this is a good method/idea?

Looking forward to hearing more ideas from you!

Thank you!

Best,
Kafin
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Brodak Vector 40 Wing-Fuselage Joint with Yellow Wood Glue?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 09:34:55 PM »
I would have the wing and fuselage all set up and aligned before you put glue on it. Then just put some CA on it in places so you can hold it and move it around. Then you can add your epoxy fillets on the outside, inside or both if you want. I like to add some micro balloons to the epoxy but don't make the mix too dry. You can stand it on the wing tip and do one side at a time so the glue doesn't run.

Motorman 8)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 12:00:07 AM »
CA will work fine!
Alignment is all important though. Windy used it on the ARC he did a video on.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 07:41:05 AM »
The biggest difference in an ARF and all other forms is that the wing is covered OVER the joint to the fuselage with some form of MonoKote.  I am sure the instructions call for removing it where it will be glued.  I have only built 2 ARF's over the years but I did the same on both.  You MUST seal the wing fuselage joint on any IC powered ship.  I cut the covering 1/16-1/8" away from the fuselage and wing all the way around inside and out of the fuselage.  Mask it off another 1/8" from the covering line.  Use a trim iron and make sure that the edge is stuck really well.  Glue the wing in with either aphetic or slow CA.  When it is dry add a SuperFill or Micro balloon fillet that slightly overlaps the covering.  Get it really smooth because you don't want to have to sand much.  Now you have a wing fuselage joint that is the same as a Non ARF.  Now your only problem is painting the fillet.  The Vector, at least the one I flew had different colors at the wing joint.  Find some paint that matches the fuselage, mask off the wing just outside the fillet and paint it.  MonoKote paints well with Rustoleum or Krylon and all types of automotive paints that become fuel proof.

If you decide not to go the fillet route, find something to close all of the gaps in your wing, stab and rudder. y1   Exhaust fumes are equipped with crack detectors and will find a way to fuel soak anything that is not covered LL~

Vector is a great flying plane.  You are going to like it a bunch - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here