Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

BRODAK SILKSPAN

(1/2) > >>

doug coursey:
HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY LUCK WITH THE BRODAK MEDIUM SILKSPAN..I TRIED SOME AND IT DOESNT STICK TO THE WOOD VERY GOOD EVEN PUTTING AT LEAST 3 COATS OF BUTYRATE DOPE ON THE BARE WOOD.I PUT IT ON WET AND  THE DOPE DOESNT PENETRATE THE SILKSPAN VERY GOOD.IT SEEMS TO SWELL THE SILSPAN AND IT GETS HARD AS A ROCK WITH ONE COAT OF BUTYRATE DOPE...YOU SURE COULDNT USE IT ON OPEN BAYS

Colin McRae:
I am by no means an expert, but I have covered 2 models with Brodak medium silkspan with butyrate dope and both have been fine. And I brushed it on. The silkspan has adhered as expected and shrinks up fine.

Being somewhat of a rookie builder, I strictly followed the Brodak document 'Finishing and Painting your Airplane'.

Those instructions say to use a mixture of 60/40 thinner/clear dope (60% thinner). And I put on 3 coats on the wing and let it fully dry before starting to apply the silkspan on the wing.

So not sure what might be going on in your situation. Maybe not enough thinner so it can easily soak thru the silkspan? And I also made sure I painted at a time of day when the ambient humidity was low, so no blushing was going on.

Jim Svitko:
I have used this medium silkspan for several years.  It appears to be just like the product from years ago.  I use it only to cover bare wood.  On open bays, I will use polyspan or ThermalSpan.

https://easybuiltmodels.com/parts.htm#gsc.tab=0

wwwarbird:

--- Quote from: doug coursey on January 11, 2024, 07:06:33 AM ---HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY LUCK WITH THE BRODAK MEDIUM SILKSPAN..I TRIED SOME AND IT DOESNT STICK TO THE WOOD VERY GOOD EVEN PUTTING AT LEAST 3 COATS OF BUTYRATE DOPE ON THE BARE WOOD.I PUT IT ON WET AND  THE DOPE DOESNT PENETRATE THE SILKSPAN VERY GOOD.IT SEEMS TO SWELL THE SILSPAN AND IT GETS HARD AS A ROCK WITH ONE COAT OF BUTYRATE DOPE...YOU SURE COULDNT USE IT ON OPEN BAYS

--- End quote ---

It was probably ten-ish years ago now but I bought six packages of it once to give it a try. I had the same issues you're describing and then some. It ended up going directly into the trash can. 

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: wwwarbird on January 11, 2024, 07:42:59 PM --- It was probably ten-ish year ago now but I bought six packages of it once to give it a try. I had the same issues you're describing and then some. It ended up going directly into the trash can.

--- End quote ---

i bought mine about a year ago.dope doesnt want to go through the silkspan and stick it to the wood...i put 3 coats of dope on the bare wood before trying to attach the silk span..mine is going in the garbage so i dont try and use it again

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version