Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Brodak P-40 profile ARF

(1/4) > >>

jerry v:
I was presented with Brodak P-40 ARF kit for my birthday.
It was sitting in the box since the spring. And then I decided to build it for participation in Cleveland, Ohio competition in profile event on September 25-26 .
Project took me four days.

Jerry

jerry v:
I started this project on Monday September 20th. First test fit all components. Tighten the covering, cut all openings for stabilizer. I used Du-bro nylon hinges #117 for flaps and for elevator. I used CA hinges only on adjustable rudder. I replaced the kit flap wire jointer  with .093 in music wire. Flaps installed on Monday.

Jerry

jerry v:
Tuesday was for glueing the wing in place. Cut the covering in the joint area, used 30 minutes epoxy, set the wing on the glass tabletop. 1/2 inches spacers/blocks under the wing spar in the area of the ribs on the closer to wing tip flap end. Square blocks to hold the fuselage perpendicular to table. And square to check perpendicularly of the fuselage sides and the hinge line.

Jerry

jerry v:
On Tuesday I glued hinges and the jointer in the elevator and stabilizer. I replaced kit jointer wire with 3/32 (.093) inches music wire.

Jerry

jerry v:
Wednesday. Glued all tail in place. Cut the block of balsa to slide stab in place. Used 30 minutes epoxy on stabilizer. Jig was the same for the wing and fuselage. Only blocks of the same height and equal distance under the stabilizer .Used 5 min epoxy on the vertical fin, CA on the rudder hinges. Used bamboo 1/8 sticks to pin vertical fin, stabilizer and fuselage together with epoxy. Rudder is adjustable with  Du-bro 4-40 ballinks.

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version