News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does the Vector wing have Dihedral?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Does the Vector wing have Dihedral?
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
I flipped it over and the instructions say to shim the tips 1/16, then shim the rest of the wing.

I'm so confused.... n~ HB~>
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Does the Vector wing have Dihedral?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
So when you say taper... are you talking taper from LE sweeping back to the TE?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Monty Summach

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
There is leading edge taper (but the trailing edge is straight), but there is also a difference in the thickness of the airfoil from root to tip. If you don't block up the tip as instructions say, you will build in dihedral.
Regards,

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:59 PM »
Well I may have screwed this wing up. HB~> HB~>
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Well, that's one kind of taper but the shims address the taper from the root rib vertically to the tip rib, usually measured at the high point which in the Vector is at the spar. The root rib is wider than the tip rib so the spar "tapers" down from the root to the tip. It is important to keep the taper the same, top and bottom, thus the shims.
 The comment 'bout shimming up the rest of the wing just refers to putting additional shims along the wing to minimze any bowing of the spars, ie: a 1/16 shim at the tip would mean about a 1/32' shim at the half way point of the wing. Of course the closer to the tip the shim is placed, the thicker it should be and vice-versa.  8)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:43:34 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
Now...wouldn't this post be more appropriate in the "Building Techniques" forum? 8)

Yea maybe so, but not sure I would get the quick response that I got. I will let it set here a little longer then move it myself.

I have it sitting on sheet rock like the plans call for and then sitting on top of glass. Leveled the glass, followed the instructions to the letter so I thought. This is all new to me.

Might be time to put this kit back in the box and buy a ARF vector. I'm not a real happy camper right now. HB~> HB~> HB~>
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Sorry Paul, I edited that line out and clarified my answer, I hope it helps. Don't abandon ship just yet, it takes building a few planes to get it sort of figured out. One of the best parts of hobby is flying something that you made and that just can't be duplicated by ARF's. Give yourself credit for taking the first step.  You might also get some benefit at the RSM site where Eric posted building guides for a few of his kits. Some good ideas there. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »
Hi Paul: I have a kit-built Vector (not as pretty as Pete's but it flys very well) so know about shimming the wing to achieve symmetrical taper from root to tip. I recall the shim under the tip rib was about 1/4" with corresponding decreases in shim thickness (3/16, 1/8, 1/16, zero) as you move towards the center rib. Did you use what Brodak calls the "leveling bar" to get the TE level along the entire length of the wing? If so, even with a little asymmetrical taper it should fly fine. I built a Dale Kirn "Stinger" recently that is made with the wing flat on the board on what becomes the top side when it is flipped over, and with tapering ribs it ends up with "dihedral." The ARF Score is the same way, with in effect some dihedral. Lots of semi-scale stunters fly extremely well with real dihedral. So, I would not worry about it and just finish and enjoy the model!

The only problem I can foresee is if the wing has a twist due to the TE being level and the ribs not being aligned as you move towards the tips.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:41:33 AM »
The Stuntwagon wing built "upside down" on the board.  You pinned the spars flat to the board and when the wing was finished, all the taper (in depth) of the ribs came "up" from the bottom to give it a kinda "dihedral".

I think, Paul, that you are just not recognizing that the ribs are not the same "depth" (height) from the root to the tip.  I always centerline the ribs and keep THAT line the same height for each rib from the board.  More sunlight will show under the ribs as you near the tips.

However much difference their is from the rib centerline from Root rib to the Tip Rib is how much shim you need to place under the tip rib to keep the wing centerline uniform.  This does not occur with a constant chord wing.  all the ribs are the same size in length and height.

Example: Constant chord wing= rib that is 9" long and 2" high.  All ribs are the same so no "adjustment" is needed to "shim up" the wing.

Tapered airfoil wing: Root rib is 9" long by 2" high  and root rib is 8" long and 1 1/2" high.  You have to block (shim) up the tip rib 1/4" right side up and upside down) to keep it level.  The is 1/2" different in the height of the rib, so that is 1/4" each way.

It's actually very simple, you just haven't "seen it" yet. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »
1/16" is not a huge amount but is it significant on a Vector?

If the trailing edge is straight, it would mean a slight twist in the wing. Again, is it enough to be the end of the world?

How far done is it?
What could be done to fix it?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:07:20 AM »
Paul
      Hang in there mate,the most important thing is to mark a centre line on each rib
and when setting the ribs up if you measure from the centre line to the
building board on each rib it should be the same,eg if R1 measures from the centre line
to the surface of the board  1" ,then R2,R3 etc should be 1" all the way out to the tip rib.
Paul Allen
Australia

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here