News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak butyrate over Sig nitrate ?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak butyrate over Sig nitrate ?
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
Hi ,

I'm sure that this has been asked before , but can I safely use Brodak butyrate , over Sig nitrate ?
I understand there are differences in the two dope brands , so I'm going to ask before I continue doping .
I've run out of Sig butyrate and it's at least a week away from delivery .

Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Keith Polzin

• Ensign
Re: Brodak butyrate over Sig nitrate ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »

Try a test piece on some cardboard.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
Not a definitive answer but...I have used Brodak over Sig and vice versa on three airplanes without any ill effects.  I have only used Sig thinner w/Sig dope, the same for Brodak.  One thing I have noticed though is if you using water slide decals, put a couple of light coats of Sig Lite Coat on first.  Brodak dope/thinner softens and often melts decals.  HOWEVER, many will say don't mix brands soo....proceed w/ caution if you do.  :-\
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:18:13 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...My experience in Dinosaur Days was that you could safely use Butyl over Nitrate, but
Not the Nitrate over Butyl without bad results....

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
Oops - I guess I got a little side tracked.  I was referring to Sig Buterate over Brodak Buterate or vice-versa.  Common wisdom still applies regarding nitrate for a base, buterate on top  - not the other way around.  HOWEVER (here we go again) some will maintain that eventually fuel will get through the buterate (I know it's not spelled correctly) and soften up the nitrate leading to adhesion problems.  For that reason some people choose to go with w/buterate all the way.  It's just one of those things where you pays your money and takes your choice... Personally I wouldn't have a problem with putting Brodak buterate over Sig Nitrate, but thats just me.  If in doubt - test sample.
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:15:40 AM »
Rob: They say don't mix different brands because of the different thinners. Since I doubt you have flying weather up in the " Frozen Tundra " I doubt waiting for the Sig is going to be more than just an inconvenience. Anyway that'll give you time for your Honeydooos  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 05:16:26 AM »
Regarding use of Brodak dopes, I would contact Windy for definitive answers.

He worked very closely with John on the development of the products.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »
Regarding use of Brodak dopes, I would contact Windy for definitive answers.

He worked very closely with John on the development of the products.

Bob Z.

What better source than the guy that has more prop trophys from the NATS than anyone else..

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
In every tape of his I've seen he says don't mix brands.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
Hi ,

Thanks fellows !
Leester is right ...
With minus 43 degree C temps , there is not a bit of flying going on !
I'll be ordering more Sig Butyrate , promptly .
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:33:15 AM »
Yep, Windy says don't mix brands .......... now........... ;D

His Candy Apple Red Cardinal *20 Pointer* (he repainted it Kawasawki Green AFTER he won the 20 points!) was painted with a mix of Sig Supercoat and Sig Lite Coat butyrates for the substrate, Sig Silver butyrate for the blocking coats, and acrylic auto lacquer for color, and Sig Lite Coat again for the clear top coats.  But, he WAS using Dupont 3608S thinner in EVERYTHING.  So........

By the way, I only use Sig or Randolph Nitrate for substrates and use whatever I have on hand over it.  Butyrate dopes, acrylic lacquers and base/coat clear coat systems.  My two problems were caused by switching thinners for the clear  coats on one plane and using way too much retarder on another. YMMV......
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:10:52 PM »
Hi ,

Just a word about Dupont 3608S ...

I contacted several autobody and paint supply shops and according to all the people I spoke to , they all say Dupont discontinued the 3608S thinner , due to the fact that the auto paintindustry has gone to urethane based paint and that the 3608S is an acrylic lacquer thinner .
Any other ideas instead of the 3608S ?

Thanks ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »
Hi ,

I contacted several autobody and paint supply shops and according to all the people I spoke to , they all say Dupont discontinued the 3608S thinner , due to the fact that the auto paintindustry has gone to urethane based paint and that the 3608S is an acrylic lacquer thinner .

Thanks ,

Rob K.

Hi Rob,

I have no clue, I have not encountered that problem.  Urethanes have taken over the majority of the industry, that is true, but Acrylic Lacquer is not *gone*, it is still being made and can be purchased in several areas.  California, Washington State, etc., being banned areas for sure.  The paint costs about 400% more, really ($35-$40 a gal., for mixing white, versus $150 a gal. now), but it is there if you live in the right place.  I got two gallons of 3608S a couple months back.  ???

Talking to a PPG rep a short time ago, they said they had no real plans to discontinue A/L anytime soon.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »
Ty,

I am having a brain phart...... ;D  All my mind can come up with for TCP is some "tri______phosphate"......  I KNOW that is wrong!! LOL!!!!!!!

And, you don't have to be top 20 in ANYTHING to know if you can paint in a certain way, so don't apologize. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
Re: TCP Plasticizer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »
1, 2, 3 Trichloropropane:

http://tosc.oregonstate.edu/about/news/newsletters/TCP%20FACT%20SHEET_FINAL.pdf 

P.S.  Not quite on-topic, sorry about that.  In the past, I have seen Oil of Wintergreen used to somewhat mitigate against the strong odor of dope, with no known effect on the finish. 

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
          I painted my Brodak Oriental with Brodak butyrate over Sig nitrate with great success. I built this 2 years ago and its still looking great. This was one of the first paint jobs I rubbed out. I used the Piper metallic green over a white base. I know its been said not to mix brands but I have a better success rate spraying Sig products. More than likely its due to climate conditions. I've had blushing problems occur with the Brodak. I've used Brodak retarder when this has happened, but I prefer to wait for better days so I don't need it. Brodak was out of their nitrate thinner at the time so I elected to use Sig's nitrate. Typically I use butyrate from the start but I used a synthetic covering which required the use of nitrate for the base coats followed by butyrate. I had no problems with trim taping, drying, crazing etc. One thing that I did discover is not to use Sig retarder in Brodak clear. I didn't use much but it caused problems on the test panel I did. Everyone seems to share different views and opinions on this subject. I can say it worked for me. In my quest to find which paints work over what base coats, it always seems that the majority of products go over nitrate with no compatibility problems. They never seem to name or question any of the brands of nitrate their using. Just for the record I do try and use same type brands.  Ken Cook

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
Hi ,

Thanks ,

Rob K.

Here in Iowa, I called my supplier and he said it was still available and they usually place an order every week.  Hmmm.......
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
Hi Rob,

I have no clue, I have not encountered that problem.  Urethanes have taken over the majority of the industry, that is true, but Acrylic Lacquer is not *gone*, it is still being made and can be purchased in several areas.  California, Washington State, etc., being banned areas for sure.  The paint costs about 400% more, really ($35-$40 a gal., for mixing white, versus $150 a gal. now), but it is there if you live in the right place.  I got two gallons of 3608S a couple months back.  ???

Talking to a PPG rep a short time ago, they said they had no real plans to discontinue A/L anytime soon.

Yup. I'm in CA and I CANNOT buy Dupont 36083 thinner anymore. The local auto paint supply house does have some other thinner to replace it, but It's some off brand from Grow Automotive. I use it to clean brushes.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
Hi ,

Okay , here I go again ...

I live in Canada . To obtain some of the "specialized stuff " (especially from the U.S.A.) can be a major pain and expense .
Anyhow , I did find a place closer to home , that has a five gallon container of the 3606S thinner ($50.00 to ship) .
I'm guessing that as long as the container is sealed appropriately , that there should be no , or little evaporation .
I'm not sure about the shelve live of the 3608S , though .
Thanks for all the comments and all the help  y1

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »
Hi Rob,

As far as shelf life for 3608S, unless it evaporates,  I don't think I will have to worry about it in my lifetime. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »
Hi Bill. If I remember correctly it is "Tri Cresyl Phosphate".  (sp?)   During the 50's it was used in Shell gasoline to bring the Octane RATING up without adding lead.  We called it, Tom Cat @#$%. Being a smart ass teen, what else??  LL~ LL~ LL~

By Jove, I think he's got it!!!!!!! LL~ LL~ LL~

That sure *sounds* like it, Ty!  Thanks......... maybe senility hasn't fully set in with me!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline gary tultz

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »
Thats right, TCP. Tricresyl Phosphate Its a plastisizer used in the early urethane industry.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »
Everyone seems to share different views and opinions on this subject. I can say it worked for me. In my quest to find which paints work over what base coats, it always seems that the majority of products go over nitrate with no compatibility problems. They never seem to name or question any of the brands of nitrate their using. Just for the record I do try and use same type brands.  Ken Cook

Hi Ken,

I agree, there are those that would argue with what *I* do in finishing, but I don't have problems unless I use a different thinner, or too much retarder.

I have a plane I still fly regularly, built in 1997.  I used Randolph's non tautening tinted nitrate for all the substrate, Sig Supercoat Clear to shrink the open bays, Sig colors and PPG Acrylic Lacquer colors for trim, and Dupont Chroma Clear for the top coats.  It got second in Concours (to Windy's Spitfire) at the Joe Ortiz Contest at Flushing Meadows.  11 years later, it shows the signs of repairs since I used the wrong color of red....... otherwise, it is as good as it was when new, and it has the most flights on it than any other plane I have ever had.

My point?  Many more things work than most people realize, especially if you're a blind hog............  and some people can mess up a _____ dream........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
Ty,

I am having a brain phart...... ;D  All my mind can come up with for TCP is some "tri______phosphate"......  I KNOW that is wrong!! LOL!!!!!!!

And, you don't have to be top 20 in ANYTHING to know if you can paint in a certain way, so don't apologize. ;D

Bill,

TCP used as a plasticizer is TriCrescylPhosphate.  I use it on rare occasions when doping full-scale airplanes.

Bill Byles
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »
Just to put my penny's worth in - I opened a brand new can of 3608S three weeks ago.  You can still buy it in Ohio and they have no plans to discontinue it here.  CA has a lot more restrictions because of the EPA I suppose so that may explain the situation of not getting it there.
will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here