News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:05:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blue Fillet Material  (Read 10628 times)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Blue Fillet Material
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2021, 12:05:32 AM »

Every village needs one.

Brett

Not this village.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2021, 01:55:45 AM »
I think the point has been made. So let's not all have a whack!

For the novice, me, Super Fil is idiot proof. Weigh each part and you are off and running.

I have tried Micro Balloons and epoxy but it seems there is an optimum amount of balloons to epoxy and I haven't found where that is. So, if someone has a formula of, "X", millilitres of mixed epoxy to, "Y", grams of Micro Balloons?

Until then, Super Fil for me.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2021, 09:03:05 AM »
I think the point has been made. So let's not all have a whack!

For the novice, me, Super Fil is idiot proof. Weigh each part and you are off and running.

I have tried Micro Balloons and epoxy but it seems there is an optimum amount of balloons to epoxy and I haven't found where that is. So, if someone has a formula of, "X", millilitres of mixed epoxy to, "Y", grams of Micro Balloons?

Until then, Super Fil for me.

Craig

Craig,

You could say, 6 one half dozen of another? But I won't. And "name calling" for whatever the reason, is totally unnecessary. They just don't want me saying anything! Period!

24 HOURS then go on to the next one!! That alone is a reason, for me anyway, to use Micro-balloons. Takes me minutes to do fillets and they DRY IN MINUTES!! 5 actually because I use 5 minute Epoxy!

Is it a punishable crime to switch from Blue to white or even suggest it?

What is the hobby coming to?  LL~

These fillets were done in minutes and needed no sanding to shape them. I just drag a finger, generally my middle finger. A light scuff and you're done, no waiting 24 hours before you go onto the next fillet.

"I have tried Micro Balloons and epoxy but it seems there is an optimum amount of balloons to epoxy and I haven't found where that is. So, if someone has a formula of, "X", millilitres of mixed epoxy to, "Y", grams of Micro Balloons?"

I've explained how I mix this stuff many times with photos in my Builds. For the GBR-3 canopy I mixed a tad of black paint and finished the canopy in one shot, minutes, black outline and all. No sanding, DONE!!

I'm sold on Micro-balloons for a list of reasons.

Inexpensive!
Small container!
You already have Epoxy!
Easy to mix and YOU control the consistency!
Light as a feather!
Ultra fast drying time! 5 MINUTES!
Done correctly, requires no shaping or tools or sanding!
Epoxy is a strong glue, so you are "gluing" the area not just filling the area!
You don't need heat to dry it!
Heat will actually loosen epoxy to a liquid if a repair is needed! (Heat to a liquid, remove with a rag by wiping.)
It's not Blue!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2021, 04:46:59 PM »
Charles,
I didn't want the post to degenerate to a stage where everyone else would end up being guilty of what was being complained about in the first instance!

As you well know I abhor bullying and have voiced this and stood up for you in the past. I was trying to get the thread back on track. So let's do that?

It was because of your posts I used Micro Ballons in the first place. But, there is a point where if you do not add enough balloons to the epoxy it would not sand at all!  Then, if you add too much it cracks. Mixed as per instructions Super fil does not do this. As I said, for me, Super Fil is easier.

I will re read your Gee Bee 3 Thread and search for the formula to mix the balloons to epoxy. It would be great to to sand off in less than 30 minutes, agreed.
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2021, 05:23:13 PM »
Charles,
I didn't want the post to degenerate to a stage where everyone else would end up being guilty of what was being complained about in the first instance!

As you well know I abhor bullying and have voiced this and stood up for you in the past. I was trying to get the thread back on track. So let's do that?

It was because of your posts I used Micro Ballons in the first place. But, there is a point where if you do not add enough balloons to the epoxy it would not sand at all!  Then, if you add too much it cracks. Mixed as per instructions Super fil does not do this. As I said, for me, Super Fil is easier.

I will re read your Gee Bee 3 Thread and search for the formula to mix the balloons to epoxy. It would be great to to sand off in less than 30 minutes, agreed.
Craig

Craig,

I use two, cut down, cups. One for the Epoxy and the other for the hardener.

If you go to my builds, you will see I add a tad of yellow paint. I do this only so I don't over mix and lose time which is needed for the application. I use 5 minute Epoxy so I must be quick.

It's kinda like mixing grout, too dry is not good and to wet is not good.

Like cake frosting. God I love white on white cake.

I've never experienced cracking in all the years I've used this stuff, but I only purchase Epoxy provided by Model suppliers, never Ace, Home Depot or Lowe's.

Yes, once you get the hang of this medium and it's application, you can do a model in an hour.

I no longer use tape either.

I don't have the patients others have, one of the reason my building isn't polished as to the fit of each piece of wood.

Tasks have to be quick, at least for me.

The Gee Bee Z I built, there's a photo someplace where I used Micro-balloons mixed with Epoxy, kinda wet and kinda dry, used inside the fiberglass wheel pants as glue.

It's all I ever used. Mixed dry, but wet enough to stick, it goes on like joint compound and sands like balsa.

It's all over my Gee Bee Z. Take a look.

I never apply this over naked wood. Always a few coats of clear Dope or Deft Wood Sealer. I always scratch and clean the area.

I'm having better results applying silk over sheeted areas using the Deft. Others use it also.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2021, 08:55:04 PM »
Use Super-fil for what it is supposed to be used for Fillets (Not glue) It is by far the best it beats epoxy and micro balloons and epoxolite and spackle and the rest. The only thing lighter and stronger is wood fillets. Period end of discussion!
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
The only thing lighter and stronger is wood fillets
I use BIG fillets made from wood but finding the light mushy stuff anymore is impossible.  I have tried 5min Epoxy but it never seems to dry 100%  Superfill is so forgiving and it sands so smooth.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »
I like the SuperFil for all the reasons listed above.  My only issue is I usually mix more than I can work or need before it starts getting stiff and end up throwing quite a bit away.. oh well.  I’m having an issue with the factory paint on one of my Chevy Equinox’s coming off and am getting a little rust spot.  I’m thinking I will use SuperFill to patch it and touch up the paint...gotta be better than Bondo.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2021, 07:54:33 PM »

Howard, any more thoughts?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »
So, Howard, what WERE you using for fillets before the blue stuff disturbed your calm?

(I know you are busy at the Worlds, but since this thread was old already, there is no....rush.)
Steve

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2022, 06:57:45 PM »
Use Super-fil for what it is supposed to be used for Fillets (Not glue) It is by far the best it beats epoxy and micro balloons and epoxolite and spackle and the rest. The only thing lighter and stronger is wood fillets. Period end of discussion!

Right on Robert. I agree 100% and use it exclusively.

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here