News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:53:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best method to wrap or crimp stranded LE wire?  (Read 973 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Best method to wrap or crimp stranded LE wire?
« on: December 31, 2022, 04:23:15 AM »
I cant find any info on making the termination on stranded lead out wire at the wing tip. Im using the stranded lead outs that came in the Vector 40 kit. I would prefer not using a crimp. Is there a method of making a Soft wrap that is fail safe and legal in the rule book? This is my first time using stranded lead out cables and i want to make sure they are done right.
Kevin.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Best method to wrap or crimp stranded LE wire?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 04:58:21 AM »
Sparky has about 5 videos on wrapping leadouts.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 07:21:55 AM »
I cant find any info on making the termination on stranded lead out wire at the wing tip. Im using the stranded lead outs that came in the Vector 40 kit. I would prefer not using a crimp. Is there a method of making a Soft wrap that is fail safe and legal in the rule book? This is my first time using stranded lead out cables and i want to make sure they are done right.
Kevin.

Just do them like you would the ends of flying lines. I have been using .027" cable for my lead outs. Get an appropriate eyelet, slide some heat shrink tubing onto the cable, make the first loop around the eyelet, wrap the cable with thin gauge copper wire going away from the eyelet about 3/4", fold the remaining cable over, wrap with wire going back towards the eyelet, clip[ off excess, tuck the end in some where, slide the heat shrink over it all and shrink. Reppeat for the other side.

Type at you later and
  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 12:45:38 PM »
When I started using the stranded cable for leadouts, I went with a method used by one of my flying buddies.

The leadout cable is slipped into a section of annealed brass tubing.  Usually, the 1/16 OD tubing is used but you can find some metric sizes on line as well.  Enough cable is pulled thru to wrap the leadouts as Dan suggested.  The brass tube is then bent into a teardrop shape, using something like a 3/16 or 1/4 drill bit to bend it around.

The eyelet, or thimble, can work as well, but I like the brass tube method.

Yes, avoid the crimp.  Another method is swaging.  There are tools and components to do swaging properly.  I have done that before.  No failures, it seems to work OK, but I used it on smaller planes only.  The fear I have with the swaging is that you are left with a very stiff section, right at the end of the swaging sleeve, and then the "unsupported" cable, which is prone to flexing right at that point.  This could lead to early failure.

Wrapping, although tedious to some of us, works very well, even if not a perfect wrap.  It avoids that stiff-flexible problem of swaging, and I can't remember seeing a line wrap, or leadout wrap, fail.

I proof load all my leadouts and lines before putting them in service.  You never know what might happen, and I feel better knowing I subjected the components to the required pull test value.

And, solder is not needed anywhere in the wrap.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 03:24:11 PM »
Thanks gents. How big is the eyelet to be used? I'm also considering staggering the end points on the lead outs to prevent them from getting in the way of each other.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 03:46:16 PM »
Thanks gents. How big is the eyelet to be used? I'm also considering staggering the end points on the lead outs to prevent them from getting in the way of each other.

They can be the same eyelets that you use on lines. They just need to be big enough for you line clips to go into, the same as for your lines. I forgot about the tube method Jim mentions. If you do a neat wrapping job. I don't think that you would have to worry about the lines hanging up if they are that close together. I usually don't have my lead outs any closer together than 3/4". With no square edges on anything, they may rub but the risk of them hanging up is minimal I think, especially with the tear drop style.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »
Happy new year to you to Dan and thanks for your help.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter