News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bellcrank post.  (Read 1859 times)

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bellcrank post.
« on: April 19, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »
I've always used 1/8 music wire for the post and the hole in the bushing is larger causing some slop. The other day I was looking for some 1/8 wire and came across a piece of wire from a political sign support. It's a perfect fit. I know it's not as stiff as the music wire but trying to bend a 2 1/2 inch piece by hand isn't possible.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: Bellcrank post.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 03:16:09 PM »
What are you using for the bushing?  1/8 music wire or 1/8 A2 steel rod fits very well into a bushing made from 5/32 brass tube.  Of course, there is some slop, but not enough to be concerned about.

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 03:21:48 PM »
I've always used 1/8 music wire for the post and the hole in the bushing is larger causing some slop. The other day I was looking for some 1/8 wire and came across a piece of wire from a political sign support. It's a perfect fit. I know it's not as stiff as the music wire but trying to bend a 2 1/2 inch piece by hand isn't possible.

Perry,
Go get your bathroom scale and two small blocks of wood. Suspend the piece of wire (cut to length) between the blocks and use another piece of wood the same thickness as the portion of the bellcrank that will bear against the wire and push on the wire in the middle until you see 40 pounds. You will never reach this value while still flying. If the wire has not bent you are good to go.

Kim

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:29:04 PM »
I doubt the metal from a political sign is very good for our needs.  I would suspect it is soft and flexible. 

A high speed steel 1/8" drill blank is very strong, very smooth and polished.  Much nicer than rough music wire.

1/8" x 2.75" = $1.91  https://www.grainger.com/product/VERMONT-GAGE-High-Speed-Steel-Jobber-Drill-403H63

The phenolic material is tough and fairly self lubricating.  An additional brass bushing for the post seems a bit redundant, imho.

This bellcrank example is from Crist Rigotti.  Simple and effective.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:47:02 AM »

That's inexpensive wire and it's not tempered. I wouldn't use it.

Unless the sign industry has changed?

Why not sleeve the post and drill out the bell crank? This will remove slop but not ware.

Once the lines are tight, the slop isn't felt, or is it?

Why are you bending a 2.5" piece of wire? Heat will do this and a good vice.  I bend 90's all the time with mu wire bender?

Do you have a wire bender?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 12:06:04 PM »
Bingo -- what matters is that the bellcrank not rock side to side -- you get that with a longer bearing.  Gluing phenolic material on the top & bottom of a phenolic bellcrank will do exactly that.

This bellcrank example is from Crist Rigotti.  Simple and effective.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »

Why are you bending a 2.5" piece of wire? Heat will do this and a good vice.

I think the intent is to show just how much force it will take to bend the post as if it were supporting a bellcrank. The pounds of force was given as an example of "over-engineered" if it doesn't bend by 40 lbs.

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »
I agree with Ty.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 06:08:20 PM »
If you are using 1/8" rod for a bell crank post then why not use dedicated 1/8" bearings?
Slot cars have been using using oilite sintered bronze bearings for before I was born. They solder extremely  well, are cheap as chips, have a shoulder that that allows perfect perpendicular alignment and once oiled last for a very long time.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 11:17:19 PM »
Where do you get those bearings Chris?

The closest sintered bearings I found were from Mini Bearings here in Brisbane and they were about $6 each!!
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 02:17:12 AM »
Where do you get those bearings Chris?

The closest sintered bearings I found were from Mini Bearings here in Brisbane and they were about $6 each!!
Craig
River City Slot Car centre at Margate should have them or at least know how to get them.
Shocked if they are $6 each!

Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here