News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bellcrank leadout and ratios  (Read 827 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bellcrank leadout and ratios
« on: May 18, 2020, 07:52:22 PM »
Well I got the wing out on my S-1 electric conversion and have the old bellcrank with the damaged leadout out. Now I want to install a new bellcrank with cable leadout. Does anyone know of a video that shows making up the bellcrank lead end?

With my S-1 Ringmaster there is not enough room for a 4" bellcrank. I have a Sig nylon 3" that will fit nicely. With the 3" bellcrank what is a good distance for the pushrod hole from the hold down bolt I have two choices 1/2" or 5/32". I am leaning toward the 1/2".

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Bellcrank leadout and ratios
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »
Sparky has lead out how to videos. But I install 4 inch bell cranks in my s1 wings

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:29:26 PM by Dane Martin »

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 07:52:32 AM »
Well I got the wing out on my S-1 electric conversion and have the old bellcrank with the damaged leadout out. Now I want to install a new bellcrank with cable leadout. Does anyone know of a video that shows making up the bellcrank lead end?

With my S-1 Ringmaster there is not enough room for a 4" bellcrank. I have a Sig nylon 3" that will fit nicely. With the 3" bellcrank what is a good distance for the pushrod hole from the hold down bolt I have two choices 1/2" or 5/32". I am leaning toward the 1/2".

Best,   DennisT

If you have too MUCH throw you can gear it down with a tall control horn.  If you have too LITTLE, you're screwed.  So when in doubt, go with more throw.
Paul Smith

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 11:57:12 AM »
4" bellcrank too big?  How about 3 3/4"?  I use the largest bellcrank that will fit.  I have cut down a 4" 'crank just a little bit to cram it in there.  There's nothing magical about exactly 3" or 4". 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
Since this is a rebuild and I was trying to save the covering there wasn't clean access. However, as with most projects things change and I decided to redo the covering so now I will remove the center planking and should be able to get the pre-wired Tom Morris 4" bell crank in. I do think that if that is not clean I will use the 3" SIG nylon but add a new pushrod hole at 1/2". This should still give enough throw with good leverage and not need a 2" tall tail horn (been there done that, not pretty). Will post pic's as I get into it.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here