News:

• May 23, 2024, 11:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bell crank mount ?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Bell crank mount ?
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »
Hi ,

I'm building a second RSM Feno and I'm trying a Tom Morris bellcrank in this one .
I have a couple of photos , so I can explain better ...

I have two "mock-ups of the B/C mounting , using 1/16" ply and the second photo , using 1/8" ply , with lightening holes .
The Feno wing is quite small and light (only 3'-4" , without wing tips) so I figured I'd keep the B/C mount as light as possible .
The B/C mount , leading edge extends flush with the front of the upper spar and the same , in relationship to the bottom spar , so I will glue to the spars a and ribs .
I'm also reversing the B/C , so I'm mounting the B/C to the center rib(s) and the first outboard rib and will brace accordingly .
I don't mind being critiqued , so fire away if you have any suggestions :)

Thanks for looking ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Bell crank mount ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
<The Feno wing is quite small and light (only 3'-4" , without wing tips) so I figured I'd keep the B/C mount as light as possible .>
Rob,
The bellcrank mount is not the area where you want to save weight. It is the heart of it all and it needs to be strong enough not to get ripped out when the plane hits the end of the lines after cutting across the circle with slack lines. You don't have to overkill it either but think on it before you put in a mount meant for a 1/2 A. What you have is probably ok, I would go with the 1/8 in. Just make sure that both the top and bottom mounting plates are attached to the spars with epoxy. I would also consider moving the plate up to be flush with the top of the ribs if possible so that the center sheeting can be glued to the mounting plate also. Just moving the plate up so it can be attached to the top sheeting adds strength without adding weight.

Picture below shows a top and bottom plate of 1/16 ply which is attached to the spar for about 8 inches and will also be attached to the sheeting when the center section is covered. This works well for 40 size planes. As you can see I notched the two center ribs so the mounting plate can be flush with the top of the spar and easily covered with the sheeting.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:17:49 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »
I would do it like this with 1/8 inch ply......click on pdf below and then click open.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:33:31 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »
Rob: The way Greg shows would be your best bet. Use 1/8" ply and I wouldn't mess with the lightening holes, you can always cut out some weight someplace else.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:09:42 PM »
For those of us who are not familiar with Tom Morris bellcranks, are they bolted on, or axle mounted?

I'm not too keen on drilling lightening holes in anything. If they get filled with epoxy, or some other sorts of glue, they can increase weight, not reduce it. I would put a filler block (say 1/4 or 3/8" square balsa) between the ribs, plywood platform, and the center sheeting, to tie the platform to the center sheeting.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
Hi Steve ,

The Tom Morris B/C's are axially mounted , between an upper and lower ply mounts .
I haven't finalized the mounts yet and the (my) photos are still a mock-up .

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »
I have used 1/8th" bass and/or spruce in place of the light ply on really big planes (Geo Bolt wings) with no problems years later.  The mounts are located as spar doublers like Lee (??) posted.  They go across at least 4 ribs, top and bottom, and are glued to the center sheeting.  Then the posts are tied to the fuselage sides (on the inboard/inside the fuse) after the wing is in place like a foam wing mount.  You will destroy the fuselage and wing before you get a mount failure.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here