News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:05:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balsa Density and Grain  (Read 963 times)

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Balsa Density and Grain
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »
I no longer recall which balsa density to use where and which grain is suited for which type of parts.

For example: Which density and grain should I use for wing ribs? Which grain for sheeting? How about 1/4" spar material?

I Picked up two 1/4 x 4 x 36 sheets at Michaels yesterday. Using the calculator above they are both in the 5.7 lb cu squared range. Both sheets were poker straight and have longitudinal appearing grain.

I may make a solo trip back there tomorrow to pick out some more stuff.
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Balsa Density and Grain
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »
First and foremost, it's a matter of opinion, experience, budget, and to some degree, taste.  All conditioned by the fact that if you're crashing all the time and you have some nice 4 pound 3/32" wood -- save it for when you don't crash any more, and build a fuselage out of it!

There's a difference between straight grain and grain type.  Straight grain is (mostly) assumed -- certainly I'd want to cut any sticks from clear (not knots or wormholes) straight-grained balsa.  For ribs or sheeting something I'd be willing to put up with a bit of waviness, maybe.

The type of grain determines the strength properties of the wood across the grain.  A grain bends across the grain easily, which makes it the stuff to use for sheeting curved surfaces, and absolutely the wrong stuff to use for all-sheet stabilizers and control surfaces.  C grain is the opposite -- it's quite stiff across the grain, but breaks if you try to bend it.  So use it for flaps, elevators, and stabs.  B grain is (literally) in the middle; it's good where things don't matter as much; i.e., ribs, straight fuselage sides, formers, whatnot.
This page classifies grain nicely.

For weight, first, keep in mind that for anything sheeted you can go down a size and up a bit in density and come out OK, or you can go up in density and fill the part with lightening holes.  If you're building to magazine plans and the wood density isn't called out, I'd try to go with contest (6lb or less) for any large sheeted areas.  Lighter for sheeting, on the heavier end of the spectrum for ribs and formers.  For spars I'd want to use at least 8 lb material, and I wouldn't sniff at using 12 pound if I had it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »
these pages should help

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
these pages should help

Thanks T. J. that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure I'd seen that way back, too.
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 02:42:38 PM »
First and foremost, it's a matter of opinion, experience, budget, and to some degree, taste.  All conditioned by the fact that if you're crashing all the time and you have some nice 4 pound 3/32" wood -- save it for when you don't crash any more, and build a fuselage out of it!

There's a difference between straight grain and grain type.  Straight grain is (mostly) assumed -- certainly I'd want to cut any sticks from clear (not knots or wormholes) straight-grained balsa.  For ribs or sheeting something I'd be willing to put up with a bit of waviness, maybe.

The type of grain determines the strength properties of the wood across the grain.  A grain bends across the grain easily, which makes it the stuff to use for sheeting curved surfaces, and absolutely the wrong stuff to use for all-sheet stabilizers and control surfaces.  C grain is the opposite -- it's quite stiff across the grain, but breaks if you try to bend it.  So use it for flaps, elevators, and stabs.  B grain is (literally) in the middle; it's good where things don't matter as much; i.e., ribs, straight fuselage sides, formers, whatnot.
This page classifies grain nicely.

For weight, first, keep in mind that for anything sheeted you can go down a size and up a bit in density and come out OK, or you can go up in density and fill the part with lightening holes.  If you're building to magazine plans and the wood density isn't called out, I'd try to go with contest (6lb or less) for any large sheeted areas.  Lighter for sheeting, on the heavier end of the spectrum for ribs and formers.  For spars I'd want to use at least 8 lb material, and I wouldn't sniff at using 12 pound if I had it.

Good advice. Save the really good stuff for when one is a better flyer.  It'll be interesting to see if I can do the modeling thing for just fun this time around.
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here