Author Topic: Balsa  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Balsa
« on: May 21, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »
Bob Hunt recently said that balsa would become hard to get. I have found that it's not too hard to get, just stupid expensive. I just saw that National Balsa was selling a 1/6"x4"x36" for $4.33 a sheet. So, it's just horrendously expensive. Yikes. They do have the POS, heavier than a brick stuff for less. Guess I'm back to cruising the craft and sewing stores for wood.

Sigh....
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Balsa
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »

Has anyone checked with Bud Nosen lately?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
Bob Hunt recently said that balsa would become hard to get. I have found that it's not too hard to get, just stupid expensive. I just saw that National Balsa was selling a 1/6"x4"x36" for $4.33 a sheet. So, it's just horrendously expensive. Yikes. They do have the POS, heavier than a brick stuff for less. Guess I'm back to cruising the craft and sewing stores for wood.

Sigh....

Hi Randy:

To be accurate, my post was about getting a high percentage of light balsa. My supplier warned me that there would be an ever-diminishing amount of light wood available, and it would certainly go up sharply in price soon.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »
Good point, Bob. I went to my secret stash balsa place (an art store) and looked at what they had. I go there periodically and sort through the stack. I looked through about a 100 pieces of wood and ended up with about 8 pieces that were in the 4-6 lb range.  4 1/8x3x36, 2 3/32x4x36 and 2 3/16x4x36. Also picked up a 12x24 chunk of 1/64" ply and a couple of pieces of basswood.

You're right, it is getting more scarce. The rest they had was very heavy. They had about 15 pieces of 1/16 that must have been 20 lb stock. Usually I can sort through this place and come up with 2 or so pieces that are worthwhile.

Glad I have a fairly large stock of wood already.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »
Don't overlook your LHS...Local Hardware Store in this case. Cover all your bases.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here