News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Arrow Shafts  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Arrow Shafts
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
Arrow shafts are a cheap and effective source for CF Tubes.  Make sure you get target or women's shafts.  The hunting or crossbow types are too heavy.  The targets shafts are lighter than the balsa they replace.

I have been asked to describe how I use them in a profile fuselage so here goes:

I use an E_Xacto hollowing tool (1/4" one) to cut out a trough in top and bottom of the fuselage blank to where the arrow shaft is about 3/4 embedded.  If you like square fuselages, cut it 1/4" deep so you can put a 1/16 cap on to cover it up.  Then I epoxy the shaft in.  When it is set you can sand it round or cap it.  On the top I cut the trough  half in the fuselage and half in the top piece.  You can't see that one because it is fully buried.  I didn't get a picture of the stab but it has one too.  The other picture is from the Stab of my Sandpiper design under construction last year where you can clearly see the tube.  It also has two in the wing center section out to the LG.

On my twister the stab wood was very soft so I cut a slot about mid chord and put in a shaft.  Then I planked it with some cross grained 1/32.  On a Fancherized Twister that bottom tube also serves to strengthen the piece you added to lengthen the fuselage.

It Ted is seeing this, the changes to the stab you asked about are in the picture.

The green line is the original kit elevator before Fancherizing.  End result is a Twister that doesn't Twist and flies close enough to a PA to be a boatload of fun.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Arrow Shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »
As a former bowhunter. Most of the 32" arrow shafts are light.

Now the $2 shafts you find at walmart in the big box are cheaply made and heavy.

Name brand shafts come in different diameters and light as in Bowhunting...the speed of your arrow is life.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:58:18 AM »
Now the $2 shafts you find at walmart in the big box are cheaply made and heavy.
Good point but they are still lighter than balsa and CHEAP!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
Oh I know. I was making the point that todays  carbon arrows used for hunting are lighter than the cheap cheap arrows.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
I have some Dave Brown arrow shafts from my R/C days.

They came with plug-in ends.

Could still be available?

Anyone interested I could weigh one.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
I have some Dave Brown arrow shafts from my R/C days.

They came with plug-in ends.

Could still be available?

Anyone interested I could weigh one.
Most of the weight will be the ends and the "feathers".  I use a piece of 6-32 all thread to join two of them and you have jig tubes.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:09:01 AM »
My very rural local town has not one, but two gun stores with a large selection of bow hunting stuff. Including indoor bow ranges.  On occasion when shopping for gun related, items I ask of I can rummage the trash bin inside the range. I am always told to take what I want..  Have not been back in a long while.  I got 35 + shafts of various, weight, length, diameter, and materiel----- lifetime supply for modest aircraft sizes....free
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here