News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chizler stunter  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Chizler stunter
« on: May 03, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
Guy's who has built one of Dick Mathis Chizler's and was it a kit or scratch built, is there a difference in the R S M kit and the original plans, I have an O S 30 S that needs a home and I am thinking about the Chizler...
        Thanks...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
Re: Chizler stunter
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:05 PM »
I'm not a Chizler expert, but a guy from local club runs a Double Star 54(!) in his, so I'm pretty sure a cross ported 30 is not going to have enough power.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
Maybe Ted Fancher will chime in here, he had one for a while that went with him to the VSC meets.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:30:38 PM »
  Different Chizlers have different weights Joe Dill had one at 37 ounces used a Fox .35 , Dave's Chizler is 52 ounces I  assure you a Fox .35 wouldn't be the best...Dave uses a Double Star  .54. I think a couple guys in the SouthWest  use  Double Star .54s which are not real plentiful. Tom Dixon sells Stalker .51s ... over 9 ounces but would be nice.  This isn't a wrong answer just an idea,
   John L.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
Keith Trostle is a Chisler expert, maybe he will chime in here, He and Bob Whitely both have had beauties.

And, don’t forget it is just a Nobler with a fancy body. Fast Richard started with a Green box kit...
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:25:46 PM »
Mine "was" the RSM kit. But I flew it on an e-flite 25.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:52:57 PM »
David, what do you mean "was?" And, will we be seeing your trimotor at Davis and Madera this season?

Gil, the best proponent of the Chizler would be Ted Fancher, if he can be persuaded to comment. Larry Wong here in NorCal has a scratch-built Chizler with a PA40UL in it. I am skeptical an older OS 30 would fly it with authority, unless built very light. Cool airplane, nice to keep the design flying.

Online Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 10:44:59 AM »
David, what do you mean "was?" And, will we be seeing your trimotor at Davis and Madera this season?

Gil, the best proponent of the Chizler would be Ted Fancher, if he can be persuaded to comment. Larry Wong here in NorCal has a scratch-built Chizler with a PA40UL in it. I am skeptical an older OS 30 would fly it with authority, unless built very light. Cool airplane, nice to keep the design flying.

Hi Mike, I will definitely be at Woodland and Madera this season, but it won't be with my Chizler. I was just starting to get "better" with it. I've got a new PA plane I hope to have finished by then. You can only hang so many planes in the garage before you need to thin the fleet...at least that's my excuse.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
David hope to see you this year. I closed is pix of my Chizler
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
This is my new PA power with a PA61 Zuriel
Larry

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »
Ted flew his with an OS.35S. Flew awesome.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
Maybe Ted Fancher will chime in here, he had one for a while that went with him to the VSC meets.
[/quote

I think Geraid Arana has Ted's Chizler now
Larry

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 02:46:57 PM »
Guy's who has built one of Dick Mathis Chizler's and was it a kit or scratch built, is there a difference in the R S M kit and the original plans, I have an O S 30 S that needs a home and I am thinking about the Chizler...
        Thanks...

The OS .30S will work, but the model will need to be light, like less than 40 oz. for good performance.

Regarding the question about the difference between the RSM kit and the original plans:

The original Chizler fuselage construction showed the fuselage sides made from 1/4" sheet that tapered in thickness from 1/4" at the nose to 1/8" at the tail.  (The original plans do not show any doublers of any kind in the nose section.  It was in the November 1966 issue of Flying Models.)  The top was a 1 1/4" hollowed block, the bottom was a 3/4" hollowed block with the rudder and sub-rudder from 1/2" sheet.  This allowed the entire aft portion of the fuselage to be a blended shape without the appearance of just adding "slabs" (as in relative thin sheets for the top and ventral portion of the fuselage).  In other words, there was no delineation between where the fuselage cross section shape ended and the vertical fin started.  To me, this was a predominate feature of the overall appearance of the Chizler.  Mathis used a Fox .35 for power.  The RSM kit uses the relatively thin sheet wood for the rudder and sub rudder and does not really achieve the "blended" shape of the original though that shape can be achieved with a bit of work.

I have built "several" of these and consider the design to be one of the better flying ships from the Classic era.  As Larry Renger mentioned earlier, this is a Nobler based wing though I think the plans showed a slightly thicker airfoil.  In his construction article, Mathis explained that an "old" Nobler kit wing could be used.  So whatever power train/weight combination works for a Nobler will work for this.  My first Chizlers used the OS .35S (starting in 1995), the best ones had Tom Lay reworked OS .35S's.  Weights were around 42 to 45 oz.  Then went to the Double Star .40 (slightly modified) and the performance was better.  Each of my Chizlers have been competitive.  I am still flying a Chizler with one of these Double Star engines.

The Chizler shown in his construction article, weighing 40 oz., placed 2nd at the 67 Los Alamitos Nats, behind Bart Klapinski.  Though Mathis does not explain it, the difference between 1st and 2nd that year was appearance points.  At that time, the model was finished with red Jap tissue and clear dope.  Mathis refinished that Chizler (red, blue and white color scheme) and flew it to 8th place at the 68 Olathe Nats.

My first Chizler followed the original plans using the sheet sides and top bottom and bottom blocks to achieve the "blended" fuselage shape as shown in the Mathis article.  My next Chizlers used 3/32" sheet sides with 3/32" strip planking over formers for that blended appearance of the original.

The original magazine plans show gearl covers and was flown that way at the 65 Nats.  Mathis later changed the gear covers (appeared at the 68 Nats) to sort of rakish wheel pants that complimented the shape of the fuselage.  (The RSM kit shows the gear covers as well as the wheel pants, where the shape of those pants on the kit plans was based on photographs of the Mathis Chizler at the Olathe 68 Nats.)

Mathis was an exceptional CLPA pilot and was a force in the '60's with his Chizler design.  He had several really good profile stunt designs published (Coyote, Excalibur I and II, and Citabria).  He was also a serious FF competitor with a number of really good FF power and tow line and HL glider designs.

For those that are interested, Mathis had a later Chizler that had retracts featured in the August 1978 issue of Model Aviation.  It was operated with springs and a timer.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:57:01 PM by Trostle »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 10:47:08 PM »
Another comment about the RSM Chizler kit compared to the original magazine article.

Robin Sizemore of Tucson did the plans for the RSM kit.  These kit plans show a construction with 1/8" sheet sides and 3/32" molded sheet or strips top and bottom with formers so that the contoured shape of the original Chizler could be approximated.

Keith

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 09:21:53 AM »
   I checked out the Flying Models article last night and looked over the plan. That thing was a flying lumber yard! He must have had extremely good wood to build one to 40 ounces using all of that thick wood for the fuselage and tail surfaces. I guess that is why he called it "The Chizler", seeing as you had to chisel away all the excess wood to get the shape of the thing. He mentions nothing about why the tail is shaped in the manor it is. I thought the practice at that time was to keep vertical area to a minimum  so wind would not push it around too much. I guess the aesthetics could grow on a person over time. I sure would be interested in his reasoning for the fuselage shape???
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »
Richard Mathis was first and fore most a free flight guy. Thus any balsa he used was more than likely 4 pound stuff, hollowed out.  I under stand he is back flying free flight.   D>K

I knew he was a free lighter back then, one of the Texas guys from "Schneider Swamp" or something like that. That is why it was surprising to see him publish C'L stunt designs that he did. I have always liked the Excalibur 1 and 2 and the Citabria is cool looking. I don't remember the Chizler really catching my eye until Ted did one for VSC and then Keith and so on. Like I said before, if you stare at it long enough it kind of grows on you I guess. But with all that thick wood sizes, you have to have some really light wood to start with. I do like the way it look sitting there, almost kinda sorta like a low rider custom car!

Sean is hooked up with the Magnificent Mountain Men free flight club in Colorado Springs, and I think he told me that Mathis was active again. I went to a Labor day contest while visiting Sean in 2018, but he wasn't there then. When Sean was based there the first time a few years ago, and started attending meetings and contests, he started mentioning some of the names, like Don DeLoach, Tom Peadon, Lee Hines and a few of the other heavy hitters that fly out there. His next trip home I took him down to the magazine collection and started pulling out old Flying Models magazines with all those guys names in it from back then (with the exception of DeLoach, he's the youngster of the group!)  With literally no C/L activity there, he took up flying tip launch and catapult glider with them and is having a ball.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »
Richard Mathis was first and fore most a free flight guy. Thus any balsa he used was more than likely 4 pound stuff, hollowed out.  I under stand he is back flying free flight.   D>K

Indeed, Mathis is well known as a free flight guy.  I had the opertunity to watch him fly at a Team Trials in Arizona for the US F1C power FF team of which he became a member.  This was in the mid 2000's after his long absents from the model airplane scene (FF and CL).  After that contest, he visited my house and was surprised when I showed him some of the correspondence we had from the 60's.  At the time, he told me he wanted to get back into CL but felt it was easier to get competitive in FF than CLPA.  I have not talked to him or corresponded with him since.

I do know he held the outdoor HL glider record around 1970.

He placed 4th at the 64 Nats and 2nd at the 67 Nats, missing 1st in both cases by the difference in appearance points.  He was in the top 20 at the Nats 6 times.  So, I think he was more than a FF guy.  I saw that 64 model.  It was finished clear dope over tissue covering and trim.  I thought it well finished and to be attractive but clear dope over colored tissue evidently did not score big with appearance judges.

If that Chizler of his could be called a "lumber yard", it was a 40 oz lumber yard.  This was an airplane with a Nobler wing.  Yes, he used "large" blocks on the fuselage, but they were well hollowed out.  That is what you do with blocks of balsa.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:37:57 PM by Trostle »

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »
.....Yes, he used "large" blocks on the fuselage, but they were well hollowed out.  That is what you do with blocks of balsa.

Keith

I know a guy who has a stash of 4-6lb blocks!  :)!
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
Fast Richard has indeed been active in Free Flight the last 12 or so years.
He is mostly flying FAI Gas which is also known as F1C. These planes are seriously high-tech rigs. State of the art stuff has variable camber wings or folding wings. Folders launch at about 40 inch wingspans. they glide with heavy undercamber at about 106 inches span.

In about '08 Mathis was fifth at the Worlds held in the Ukraine. He was on the field when a little tornado went across it on a practice day.
He also won Catapult Glider at the Nats around then. Those two events are ...... very different.

He flies near Baton Rouge.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »
Dan McEntee quote: "I sure would be interested in his reasoning for the fuselage shape?"

Simple, As a kid he was frightened by the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile...   %^@

Bob Hunt

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 07:18:09 AM »
          Hi Bob:

That was great! Thanks for the laugh!

Frank McCune

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
Hi Larry,

Yes, I have Ted's "old" Chizler. It is back together after that "high" spot at Woodland jumped up and bit it.  LL~ LL~ I need to do a little more work on it.

Ted told me that the OS 35S was a little marginal on power for this plane. It is very lightly built!

I have a Brodak 40 in it and it fits the OS 35 mounting perfectly. One of these days, I'll get back to it.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 12:02:54 AM »
For your edification...... just in case
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Advertise Here
Tags: