News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:35:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An here I thought I was done  (Read 921 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
An here I thought I was done
« on: December 12, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »
Well, for many years I have been "candling" my sanding by using the shop lights. Today for some reason I went outside into the very bright fall sun and candled a stab. WOW, do I need to do much more sanding. Looked great under the shop lights, but under the sun, not so much. Yesterday it was a cold, miserable, windy, heavy rain, day, Today, calm, warm and sunny, so I took advantage of the sun. Good thing. There was a long narrow groove in the bottom of the stab (this is for an Evolution 40), so I made many tiny pin holes, filled them with water and let it sit. Two hours later no groove. The balsa swelled right up and up lifted the groove. Be careful what your lay parts on.
It now sits with a third coat of non shrinking dope. D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: An here I thought I was done
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »
I can relate.

I usually realize that I shouldn't have been done after I'm already finished.....

The Divot

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 10:10:42 PM »
  Hey Ty;
    Do you have all LED or florescent lights in your shop?  That may part of the issue. I know I have read in an article somewhere to always use an incandescent light bulb for candling It makes the best kind of light for that. It would be worth it to have just one 60 or 75 watt bulb in the shop in an old pole lamp or something just for that purpose.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 05:18:02 AM »
Ummm, Clueless in Mississippi...what is this "candling?" I've heard this term used for ears, but not model building.

TIA

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »
It might be time to apply primer.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 07:25:26 AM »
I have a 75 on my drill press and have used it , but I do get lazy and just aim it at the overhead flors. Bad idea, but I do a lot of my work and night, no sun.  LL~ John Rist, a club member has converted his shop lights to LEDs and I may do the same. Big difference. H^^

I have switched all of my garage lights to LED. I even was able to leave out one fixture because the new lights are so much brighter. I used the same fixtures, just removed the ballasts and rewired the lights for the new tubes. Most LED tubes I have seen just need 110V to one end, and you just wire the sockets in parallel if the light will be controlled by a remote switch. All 5 lights only pull the current of one of the old fixtures. Instant on also, no flickering or warming up in cold weather. I got mine from a company called Superbright LEDs. It's a mail order concern that is near me, but doesn't have walk in shopping, but I can order on  line and lick up the order in person. They usually have several sales each year. I got enough tubes to convert every fluorescent light in my house and it was about 65 bucks I think at that time in the 65 dollar range at that time. You still might want to keep an incandescent bulb around just for the specific purpose.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 07:29:53 AM »
Ummm, Clueless in Mississippi...what is this "candling?" I've heard this term used for ears, but not model building.

TIA

Its a term for checking eggs to see if they've been fertilised - you can see the embryo through the shell with a light placed behind it,

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 07:37:53 AM »

TIA
First time I have heard this term used for balsa.  I have used a bright light to check the grain on some glider wood but never this way.  I look for flaws in the dark using a small flashlight or very fine sandpaper. Pretty close?

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
NO, it is not time to apply primer. When the surface is smooth, apply dope, sand, filler, sand, paper, dope, sand then primer.  Sand, touch up primer, sand, clear dope. Apply a base coat, then trim.

This not a rattle can system. Just and old fashioned dope system. I enjoy it. It works. Rattle can stuff is for electric where no nitro is used.

Also your comment is called trolling. You are a master at it. LL~

Just a guess, but I thought you were beyond the "dope on wood" and was applying dope over a covering. Don't dismiss my aerosol can method, you've seen my finished models and others who have seen them have commented on them.

The way I do it saves steps and time and plenty of money.

Do you finish with clear dope or auto two part clear. Many have stopped using dope.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here