News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:12:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allergic reactions to CA Glue  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Steven Holt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Allergic reactions to CA Glue
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:46:10 AM »
I am having allergic reactions to CA glue whenever I use it in my builds.  I get a runny nose, sneeze and have these symptoms for a day or so after using CA.  Is this a common reaction to use of CA for many modelers?  And, is it the direct contact with the CA, the breathing of the fumes, breathing of the sanding dust with CA residue on it that causes the reaction? 

Can gloves, respirators, etc, help?  I use sanding dust collection fan systems, ventilate my build room, wear dust masks while sanding and take other basic health precautions, but the allergy symptoms seem to still appear.

I am transitioning to using sig bond aliphatic glue, and sig-ment as they are available from the local hobby shop.  What glues would you suggest if I have to abandon all CA use?

Thanks for the advice. 

By the way, I have a Midwest BF-109 kit all put together ready to cover and finish and an old Smoothie model in final build on the board, so I need some ideas so I can cut down on my Kleenex use.

Steve Holt

Secretary / Treasurer
Northwest Skyraiders Control Line Model Airplane Club
Seattle, WA

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Allergic reactions to CA Glue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:07 AM »
There are CA glues that don't do that.  Look for "low odor" or some such on the label. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:57:57 AM »
There are CA glues that don't do that.  Look for "low odor" or some such on the label.

Yes, "odorless". We use it for foam indoor models. But it is slow, normal work will need activator, also specific for that type pf glue, not standard CA activator.

http://bsi-inc.com/hobby/super_gold.html

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:35:55 AM »
I don't have allergies to CA but I still have a table fan I put on high. Even when I apply the limited amount of clear dope I use filling open bays, the fan is on high.

And you have to learn to keep your face a good distance from the gluing.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:48:13 AM »
I thought CA was getting to me, I'd get the stuffy nose and sneezing in the middle of the night and the next morning.  turns out it was the balsa dust, as I'd get it just spending a couple hours sanding!  my work area isn't exactly well ventilated...  I started wearing a disposable respirator when doing the sanding, voila!

I hate it when my girlfriend is right.....

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »
Ah yes, instant sinus problems with regular ca. I have been using foam safe for years now with a fan blowing across the room. "Kicker" is bad for me also but I still use it sometimes when needed. Balsa dust also. Be careful sinus infections are bad!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Steven Holt

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 11:52:35 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks to each of you for your replies.  I had heard of such allergies but assumed that I would never experience the same.  Wrong again!

I am having good luck with the Sig Bond Aliphatic glue with no smells in the shop or allergic reactions.  It just takes a lot more time to build.  The cleanup of any excess is easy and if you plan your build well, sig bond will work.

Are there other non allergenic glues that would set up a bit faster than sig bond?  I have heard some of the tite-bond glues, specifically type 2 and type 3 work quite well.  Do you have any thoughts on these or other options?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »
Elmers white or wood, titebond i or ii, or other pva "school" glues work really well for the majority of building.  Use toothpicks, skewers, skewers cut to a chisel shape,, small artist brushes, or an irrigation syringe to apply appropriate quantities.

The killer is dry time.  The stuff has pretty fast "grip" on well fitted sections, but will need stabilized for a couple hours.  Pins, magnets, clips, whatever you use. 

Believe it or not it is not that much added time to using instant glues if you only build an hour or so then stop.  On an instant airplane weekend this doesn't work though, dry time.  PVA is also not very good for laminating large areas, but CA is not very good either, so use epoxy.

Weight wise I do not have numbers.  My results did not seem heavier than eye burning CA glue.  I am not a master builder, nor do I weigh everything.

Phil

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
I used to use a lot of CA in construction of model planes, especially after watching a video of its use.   He used only regular CA.   I lost count of how many flights I had on the plane before after several years of flying it I sold it.   For laminations you had to punch/drill holes in one of the sheets.   Even the engine mounts used CA.   But as stated started getting sinus problems and now only use it sparingly.   Elmers is my glue of choice. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
I have problems working with CA but I'm also concerned about how brittle the joints are.

I now use Deluxe materials' Super 'phatic for my building.

It's a thin aliphatic that wicks into joints like CA but it doesn't go off immediately so you need a little bit of patience and possibly some clamps.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here