News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:29:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: advice on repairs  (Read 1417 times)

Offline steve pagano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
advice on repairs
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Hello All

I've been out of the hobby at least 4 maybe 5 years now and am starting to knock around with what I have. I was wonder if some one can recomend some tips for a repair I'm gonna do on a sv aircraft. She took a spill from the wall and cracked on the out board side of the fuse. I was thinking some good old epoxy and fiberglass tape/cloth would do it but not 100 percent. Im have a little trouble uploading a pic but its a straight crack from top block to bottom of fuse side right at the trailing edge of the wing. It is a molded top block and does have a pipe tunnel. Any advice / input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Steve.
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
Re: advice on repairs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
Photos would help a lot ...

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Hope this helps
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »
Manage too take another one
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
  I would get an extra pair of hands to help close the crack and hold it there, then flow some thin or really fresh gap filling CA into the crack from the outside. Let it seep in a bit, then hit it with kicker or let it kick off on it's own if you can hold it. Then fashion some firm balsa doubler patches to go over the cracks from the inside of the fuselage. maybe install them with slow cure epoxy with a clamp if possible. That should suffice to hold that.
  Good luck with it,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Dan's way is the same way I would do it.   Get the break pulled together tight and then run CA over it. Doublers added inside will toughen it up.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
I'm a fan of fiberglass cloth/epoxy. Do what was suggested above. Then sand (or remove the paint about 1" on either side of the fracture by your favorite method) the fuse down with 80-100 grit paper (yes it will take it down in a hurry) then glass the crack with cloth/epoxy. Put the glass cloth on on the bias (45 degrees) to the crack and use toilet paper to remove the excess resin. When cured feather the edges (again with course paper, carefully of course) and fill with bondo. Sand as much of it off as possible without getting into the weave. Paint after a satisfactory repair is made.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
Steve that's my old Shrike. The repair is easy. Get extra hands,put thick CA in crack then hold close. Next use 1.4 oz glass on the inside with epoxy,heat with hair drier and remove excess. On the exterior use .5 glass cloth with epoxy heat again and remove excess epoxy.
Alternative 1/64" doublers on inside with epoxy after closing break with thick CA   Exterior .5 glass cloth two layers
Hope to see you this summer at Flushing.
The repair is easy with another set of hands.
Steve since this is my old model reach out you may bring to shop.
Jose Modesto

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Steve that's my old Shrike. The repair is easy. Get extra hands,put thick CA in crack then hold close. Next use 1.4 oz glass on the inside with epoxy,heat with hair drier and remove excess. On the exterior use .5 glass cloth with epoxy heat again and remove excess epoxy.
Alternative 1/64" doublers on inside with epoxy after closing break with thick CA   Exterior .5 glass cloth two layers
Hope to see you this summer at Flushing.
The repair is easy with another set of hands.
Steve since this is my old model reach out you may bring to shop.
Jose Modesto
[/quote

Hey Jose

Sounds good . Hope youve been well I havent been in contact with anyone  from flushing for a bit. I have strong hopes to be at Flushing this summer with a few different aircraft that I still have. Most are incomplete projects but should be done in time to get some flights in. Hopefully I will be able to complete my trivial pursuit project right after the vector 40. You still flying piped ships ? Were is the shop located ?

Steve
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
  There you go, an "enabler"! No reason not to get it fixed now, and in plenty of time before flying season.
  Good luck and have fun,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
Steve you been to my house in Jamaica NY
I have flown electric for the past five years. I have sold lots of motors.
For me E power is the way. I will help you with your gas models. I have a couple of pipe motors that fit your models.
Are you in Brooklyn??
Jose Modesto

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »
Yeah im still living in downtown brooklyn not too far from were sina used to live. We should get together one day. I still have no car but im looking into zip car for getting back and forth for competition if I can get these projects completed
A.M.A. 820-823

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »
  I would get an extra pair of hands to help close the crack and hold it there, then flow some thin or really fresh gap filling CA into the crack from the outside. Let it seep in a bit, then hit it with kicker or let it kick off on it's own if you can hold it.

That's roughly how we put Bobby Hunt's airplane back together at the 2011 NATs, except that his fuselage was completely broken in half and in two parts. Push it back together, tiny drops of thin Hot Stuff right on the crack. Then poke a few holes along the crack with a t-pin, and put a drop of glue in each. That alone would probably hold it. It should mesh the broken fibers right back together, meaning you end up making a bunch of very-shallow-angle splices. It will be stronger than before if it meshes properly and you get glue in all the fibers.

You can sand it down to bare wood, fiberglass over it with 3/4 ounce glass and slow epoxy, then refinish, if you don't trust the hot stuff.  If you do that, make sure you go far enough in to completely bury the fiberglass below the surface of the paint, so you will be able to refinish it without leaving a raised bump.

Brett

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
If you go the glass repair route on the outside, after removing the excess resin as described, wax a piece of thin plastic backed up by some thin plywood and press down over the patch. Hold in place with tape while curing. This can/will give you a flat and smooth finish similar to a molded surface and will require less final finishing. Good luck.
AMA 34849

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here