News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:29:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: adjusto jig- locating jig holes  (Read 2130 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
adjusto jig- locating jig holes
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »
I I obtained an adjusto  jig and want to use it to build 2 airplanes this winter.  One is a sig chipmunk  and probably a Brodak Hawker Hurricane

While have the template, it locates holes pretty close to the spar slots and loadout holes.   

I have used rod type jigs on scratchbuilt airplanes, and that is easy, you can locate the jig holes and hold them out for lead out clearance

What technique do you use to locate and drill the holes? 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: adjusto jig- locating jig holes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »
Are you saying the ajusto steel rod spacing won't work? 
Bill P.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:32:21 PM »
when I use the template supplied with the Jig, the holes end up very close to the spar, or in the lightening holes already in the ribs

How to you place the holes so that doesn't happen?  How do you place the holes?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:42:33 AM »
The rod spacing is fixed to fit the ajusto jig. All you can do to miss spars and cutouts is move them fwd or aft on the rib by sliding the hole template. If that doesn't work I guess you could make the existing cutouts solid and cut back out later or just make new solid ribs. I cut the rod holes with a brass tube while on the rib jig but always scratch build with solid ribs and do cutouts later with homemade tools.
Bill P.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 06:48:17 AM »
Yup, slide the plastic template so the holes are in the most advantageous position for all the ribs. If some holes are in the knock outs tape the knockouts in place before making the holes. I try to get the holes placed so I can install top and bottom spars and leading edge sheeting while in the jig. Plus as many shear webs between the spars and trailing edge sheeting as possible. An easy method of setting the rib spacing is to measure the spacing on the plans and subtract 3/8". Then cut some spacers to that dimension and use them to space the stands.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
I don't use an Adjusto-Jig - I just use 5/16" CF rods on blocks on my flat building board.

But since I scratch build, I just design the cutouts to miss the jig holes, or if a cutout must be around a jig hole I only partially cut it out, so that I can finish the job in the wing with a couple of flicks of the X-acto knife.

(What size are the Adjusto-Jig rods?  If they're 5/16" or thereabouts, get a matching Forstner bit on Amazon.  You'll be happy you did -- it makes much cleaner holes than you can do with anything home-brew).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »
tape the knock outs in.......  Damm why Didn't I think of that?   that was easy. 

the rods are small 5/32 I think

thanks

I got the adjust to jig for $5 at a club auction, and always wanted to try it. 
Wanted to build gilders on it.  as they were a problem.  top and bottom spars, sheeting all in the jig. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
I don't use an Adjusto-Jig - I just use 5/16" CF rods on blocks on my flat building board.

(What size are the Adjusto-Jig rods?  If they're 5/16" or thereabouts, get a matching Forstner bit on Amazon.  You'll be happy you did -- it makes much cleaner holes than you can do with anything home-brew).

I found a 5/16" Forstner bit at http://woodcraft.com/ for $7.49.  It is item #125924.  You may have a Woodcraft store near you if you live in a big city.  The bit is their house brand "WoodrRiver" and their WoodRiver brand of tools are good quality.  You might find a higher quality forstner bit, but I've found WodRiver tools to be quite good quality.

They didn't have a 5/32" Forstner bit.

I just ordered the 5/16" Forstner bit and paid $4.99 for shipping via UPS/USPS Mail.  There was no range of day of expected delivery for $4.99, so I hope I get it before Christmas.  The next step up was $9.99 with delivery in about 5 days.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
tape the knock outs in.......  Damm why Didn't I think of that?   that was easy. 

the rods are small 5/32 I think

thanks

I got the adjust to jig for $5 at a club auction, and always wanted to try it. 
Wanted to build gilders on it.  as they were a problem.  top and bottom spars, sheeting all in the jig.

You made out for $5!  Going rate just about anywhere is still around $100. I paid $100 for my first one and sold it to move. Regretted selling it and paid a little less when buying a second one a couple yrs ago. As far as the holes go, you don't need a bit to drill them. A brass tube with beveled end fits the rib jig template holes and takes about 2 seconds to punch the holes. All the ribs will align perfectly. For scratch building there's no shimming, tabs or anything else, especially on tapered wings, etc. 
Bill P.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 06:21:00 AM »
Another thing, K&S tubing has the size needed for the rod holes. Sharpen the inside with a #11 exacto blade then put a knob on the other end to help drill the holes. I've never had good luck building fuselages with the Adjusto jig.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
Another thing, K&S tubing has the size needed for the rod holes. Sharpen the inside with a #11 exacto blade then put a knob on the other end to help drill the holes. I've never had good luck building fuselages with the Adjusto jig.

I agree about the fuse jig, its tedious and takes a lot of setup time. It starts making better sense on fuses with a rocker bottom where shimming on a board would be needed.
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here