News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:46:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable leadouts  (Read 1872 times)

Offline David Ebers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Adjustable leadouts
« on: October 28, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Any pros or cons using an adjustable leadout slider with a nylon block (Brodak's) instead of brass eyelets?

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Adjustable leadouts
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 06:22:27 PM »
David, they work fine, i even use them on 1/2a's.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »
I round the hole out so that the lines don't saw into the nylon as fast but other than that they are just ad good as eyelets.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
They weigh a teeny bit more than eyelets -- but it's essentially what I use.  (I say "essentially" because I make mine up out of plywood & brass tubing, with basswood rails to slide on.  But it's basically the same thing, only without having to mail order yet more stuff).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
I have always bushed the holes in the nylon slider with brass eyelets.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »
They weigh a teeny bit more than eyelets -- but it's essentially what I use.  (I say "essentially" because I make mine up out of plywood & brass tubing, with basswood rails to slide on.  But it's basically the same thing, only without having to mail order yet more stuff).
I found some 1/16" thick "tongue depressor" like "sticks" at Walmart that are out of some wood that is as hard as oak and lighter than Bass.  Lifetime supply for $1.98 (plus tax). I use them for slides on my leadouts and anywhere else calling for thin hard wood.  I use eyelets with the rounded part on the inside.  I have used nylon but the leadouts sawed into it from the back where you can't see it.  Forgive the rough wood in the pix.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
Only comment is if you are using solid leadouts you need the larger (short) eyelets to allow the solids to flex and not stick. I have used the nylon block slider with flexible cable works great. I have also done the plywood strip with the multi holes and eyelets that works and is a little lighter then the nylon block slider. The plywood with multi holes is simple to make and gives you roughly -+3/32" position control which for me is well within what I can notice at the handle.

One tip I would suggest that you consider, have the leadout overhang long enough for one clip off and reset the ends. This allows changing the slider block/eyelets out at least once if you are a heavy flier without needing to dig into the bellcrank to change the whole leadout.

Best,   DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
One tip I would suggest that you consider, have the leadout overhang long enough for one clip off and reset the ends. This allows changing the slider block/eyelets out at least once if you are a heavy flier without needing to dig into the bellcrank to change the whole leadout.
More of a question than a comment. If you use the AMA double wrap you can cut off the shrink tubing and "unwrap" the lines, fix whatever then rewrap them in the same place.  Am I wrong?  I have to confess to having done it.  Plane survived.  Am I in violation of some "Common Knowledge" thing?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline David Ebers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the information gentlemen. I appreciate it.

Any thoughts on using brass tubing in place of eyelets to terminate leadouts?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 06:54:42 AM »
Thanks for the information gentlemen. I appreciate it.

Any thoughts on using brass tubing in place of eyelets to terminate leadouts?
Yes - Don't unless they are very short and you round out the edges.  If you use a tube you create 2 bend/rub points at the tip.  The perfect "eyelet" had no flats.  They don't make those unfortunately....maybe they do, line eyelets are flared on both ends, have to look into that.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here