News:

• May 14, 2024, 03:31:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable Leadout Guides & Wing Weight Box  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Lon Retzloff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Adjustable Leadout Guides & Wing Weight Box
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
Need some help. I am new to building control line planes and am unsure on the construction and use of the leadouts and weight box. My current project is a Flight Streak.  
First question; The plans call for a "pocket" to be built on the wing tip for the leadouts using 1/16 balsa.  The leadout guide is glued to the last rib which is 1 1/2 inches from the end of the wing tip.  Would not the leadout wires cut into and possible destroy this pocket and or wing tip during normal flight?
Question two; Do you not loose the advantage of a weight box once the wing is covered. It seems to me that part of the wing covering would have to be removed if additional adjustments are needed after the plane is completed?  
I know these are very basic question but the instructions do not cover this.
Thanks, Lon

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Adjustable Leadout Guides & Wing Weight Box
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:13:09 PM »
Lon: On the adjustable leadouts your plane should fly in a straight line to your handle, if your lines do touch the pocket then you need to adjust (tip weight for one) so they are straight.
 Your tip box lid is covered seperatley so it can be removed to add or take out weight. Thats what the bolt and blind nut are there for besides going through the weights.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Adjustable Leadout Guides & Wing Weight Box
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:51:28 AM »
I use steel BB's for weight.  I make the weight box with a 1/4 thick bottom and tap it for a 1/4 by 20 Nylon bolt.  I use ply and put CA in the hole after tapping and the run the tap again.  Use a short cut off piece off bolt with a screwdriver slot cut in the top to close the hole. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here