News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:47:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable elevator horn.  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Neil Rogers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Adjustable elevator horn.
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
I will be using an adjustable elevator horn with slider nut for the first time in my new airplane

Does anyone have a description, drawing, or photo that would explain how to connect the pushrod ball link to the adjustable horn so the slider doesn't move?

Thanks.

Neil

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Adjustable elevator horn.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 05:55:22 PM »
I will be using an adjustable elevator horn with slider nut for the first time in my new airplane

Does anyone have a description, drawing, or photo that would explain how to connect the pushrod ball link to the adjustable horn so the slider doesn't move?

The theory is that you can use the ball link at the rear to retain the slider, so (if you really want to do it), put the screw through the link, then add a hardened washer, then through the slot in the horn upright, and then screw it into the tapped hole in the slider.  DO NOT OMIT the hardened washer (or very thick washer) and make sure it is as wide as the horn upright. Some people just put the ball up against the slot. That is dangerous and I have seen several failures where tightening the ball caused the slot in the upright to get spread out, and eventually it slipped, causing a sudden change in lever arm followed quickly by a familiar "whump" sound, sudden silence, followed by cursing.

I have always used a separate screw to keep the slider from sliding.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 07:13:28 PM »
What Brett said, except, I like the dual arm horns with the ball link in the middle. Personal preference.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 12:16:58 AM »
  Several years ago Tom Morris explained ball links to me & talked me into trying them for me they are well worth the effort.
       John L.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »
At CFC Graphics vendor's corner, there are many Builds of models that have this feature with excellent photos.

The models would be the, ARGO, ARGO 2, GBR-3, Mig-3, Gee Bee Z and The Stuka Tank Buster. I don't remember the actual photo, but I do know of the one I'm posting. All others are the same.

All elevator set ups are Tom Morris HDWE with ball links.

Tom Morris HDWE is now OKIE AIR, also in the vendor's corner. Here's the link.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/okie-air-model-products/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:25:18 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »
... and eventually it slipped, causing a sudden change in lever arm followed quickly by a familiar "whump" sound, sudden silence, followed by cursing.
It was more of a crunching sound as the prop broke off and the gear pushed through the inboard wing followed by profanity.

Even after 60 years some lessons are still learned the hard way. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here