News:

• May 17, 2024, 04:25:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fillets???  (Read 859 times)

Offline Terry Bolin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
Fillets???
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:05:51 PM »
Hi guys, What are you using for fillets now where wing and Fuse connect? I went to the hobby store to look for Epoxylite (I think) And they had nothing for this use. I would like something
that I can sand a little to make it smooth for covering over.  PLUS! What is your favorite iron on covering?  Pros and cons ???I have used Monokote for 40 years but tried Black Baron film this last weekend, it goes aroung corners better with no wrinkels.
See ya at the Ice-o- event this next weekend!
Terry Bolin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Fillets???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:14:26 PM »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »
Hi everyone, I have had very good luck using opoxy finishing resin "Z POXY" mixed with micro balloons.

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:04:29 AM »
Bill, can you sand that smooth, since I have the Z-poxy already.
Terry

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:30:21 PM »
Hi Terry,
   I have had very good results using Aeropoxy Light. You can buy it through Windy Urtnowski. It is a two part epoxy/filler that is very light weight and easy to work with.

No matter what material you choose to make fillets with try this method. Apply masking tape on the fuselage and wing to determine the edge of the fillet. Use your finger or tool to shape the fillet to the approximate size and shape you desire. When you are happy with the fillet, dip your finger in water or alcohol and run it over the fillet smoothing it out. Remove the tape from the wing and fuse and then repeat the water/alcohol until the fillet blends into the sheeting. When dry you shouldn't have to sand the fillet at all. You risk making grooves in the soft balsa if you sand the fillet.

Hope this helps.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here