News:

• May 14, 2024, 07:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AAAAGGH! Third time is NOT a charm!!  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AAAAGGH! Third time is NOT a charm!!
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »
I'm just venting, not looking for advise:

I ripped the vertical stab off of my rummage-sale Skyray and put a new (non-offset and non-warped) one on in time to fly the 1st.  It flew very well, but at the end of the day as I cleaned the plane the thing snapped right off!!!  It's way cold in my shop and I used 5-minute epoxy rather sparingly, so either there just wasn't enough glue, it didn't harden properly because of the cold, or some combination of the two.

@#$%.  Got it home, sanded everything flat, put it back on with 30 minute epoxy this time.  In the process I noticed that in my hurry to get to Delta Park with a flyable airplane I had put a cutting mat on top of the rubber power model that was displaced to make room for the Skyray work -- I bent it's vertical stab over 90 degrees.  Argh.  So, let the Skyray sit out in the shop for two hours, then decided that I should put it somewhere warm to finish up.  The glue was firm, so I took the clamps off, hung it up in my office -- a couple of hours later I notice that the stab has fallen off.

%$@#.  Peeled the glue off (it hadn't set completely), redid the whole thing, hung it up in my nice warm office with the clamps on.  Guess what!  While the clamps were plenty sufficient to hold things straight with the plane upright, they weren't enough to keep it straight while hanging.  @$#%, *&^%, @&$% and *@#$.

So, once again, I need to clear the indoor rubber model off the bench (carefully), cut the #&^$ stab off, and do it again.

Some people build well because they're good.  Some people do as well as they do because they're pig headed.

Oink.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: AAAAGGH! Third time is NOT a charm!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
Tim,

Epoxy (and to some degree CA) does not bond to previous applications, as well as it does to bare wood. Some types of Epoxy (perhaps all) seem to form a wax like surface film when they set up, and that needs clean up by sanding, or perhaps wiping with a solvent like Acetone.

Best bet is to cut a shallow groove for the fin right down to bare wood, and Epoxy it into the groove.

I tried five minute Epoxy a couple of times, and had poor luck. Haven't used it in many years, and don't miss it a bit.

Sorry I missed you at the field.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
I haven't had too much problems bonding epoxy to old epoxy as long as the surface is sanded.  This didn't snap off at the old glue line -- it was more like the glue itself was porous and brittle.

At any rate, this time things got sanded down to bare wood in several places, and clamped thoroughly so it can not move thank you very much.  I'm not bringing it in here to set up, though -- I think I'm better off chancing it setting up in the shop (which is less cold today than the last few days) than I am chancing things moving from hanging it sideways.

So hopefully it'll be fourth time a charm!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
If the epoxy is cold it may not cure properly. try warming the bottles in warm water prior to mixing then cure it at room temp. If the glue has had a few heat/cold cycles is may have accumulated moisture which will also affect the cure.

Don

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
I know that you guys tend to shun PVA adhesive but I use high-solids, high-quality PVA almost everywhere that does not require sanding—so long as I can leave components jigged to stay in place while the adhesive cures.

I still remember a demo given by my woodworking teacher in junior high school.

PVA was only just becoming readily available and I remember that only a year or two earlier, my dad was still using a hot pot of casien glue.

Anyway, this teacher had written the curriculum textbook for the New South Wales junior high school woodworking course.

He took a few strips of timber, planed the edges smooth and square and then glued them edge to edge to make a wide board, cramped them together and set them aside until the next lesson.

When the glue was fully cured, he invited students to try and break the joints. Try as they did, nobody could break the board along the glue joints. The glue soaks into the timber and reinforces the timber around the joint.

So long as I have the time, can clamp or weight the pieces together and ensure correct alignment and the joint will not need sanding, I use PVA. It produces very strong, slightly flexible joints—so long as you keep the amount of adhesive to a minimum. Years later, as development engineer for a building products company, I had to do some confirmatory tests and found that there was an optimum level of glue cover, after which the joint strength declined. So long as the PVA is high solids/little water and you apply sparingly, there is no warping. I used this technique with Randy Smigh-style balsa and carbon fibre doublers where I was able to leave the assemblies weighted down on a sheet of glass until the glue was fully cured and they came out flat. I have not yet tried it with ply doublers but I am about to.

Much cheaper and cleaner than epoxy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
I know that you guys tend to shun PVA adhesive but I use high-solids, high-quality PVA almost everywhere that does not require sanding—so long as I can leave components jigged to stay in place while the adhesive cures.

Much cheaper and cleaner than epoxy.

I use PVA everywhere I can.  Were this new construction it would have gotten PVA.  But the joint was already goobered up with epoxy, so that's what I had to use.
AMA 64232

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
FWIW the wax formed by the epoxy is called amine blush, can usully be cleaned with soap and water or alcohol. After cleaning, epoxy will stick to epoxy.
AMA 874027

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Tim,
In my experience, once the two parts are activated,, mixed as it were, there is a window of "opportunity" so to speak. If the glue is not cured chemically by the time that window closes, it will never close. Much like Urethane clears. If you don't maintain 60 degrees for at least 12 hours, it will never crosslink proplerly and will not attain its desired strength. I hope I am wrong, but if your shop isn't in the high 50 degree range, you may still have a problem.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
Oh fine then.  I just brought it into my office.  If I really have 12 hours, I should be OK.  It's clamped more thoroughly than before, so that should be fine, too.

(I think it may be cold that brought down the 5-minute stuff, so I am paying attention).
AMA 64232

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
What the heck is "PVA" adhesive?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »
What the heck is "PVA" adhesive?
White or yellow water-based goopy stuff.  Elmers, Titebond, etc.  Most folks use "carpenters" glue, like Titebond.  If you can make a good tight wood-wood joint it's nearly as strong as epoxy, and much nicer for a variety of other reasons.  If I'm not in a hurry I use it for everything except exterior joints (it doesn't always sand nicely) and some motor mount jobs, depending on the details.
AMA 64232

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
Another great tip :

Use Mircroballons mixed in a little epoxy 4:1 with th 5 minute stuff - Until it looks like paste, that will glue water together !
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
Original Titebond is an aliphatic resin glue like Sig Bond and the first Elmer's glue.  Titebond II is PVA (poly vinyl acetate) glue.
Titebond III is a proprietary polymer glue.
Alan Resinger

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
OOOO, Alan surfaces from hibernation. How's the weather up there in the hinterlands, Alan?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »
hi Tim,

Just curious:  Thin Medium or Thick CA wouldn't work on the fin/rudder?? ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
Original Titebond is an aliphatic resin glue like Sig Bond and the first Elmer's glue.  Titebond II is PVA (poly vinyl acetate) glue.
Titebond III is a proprietary polymer glue.
Whoops -- I have dispensed some misinformation, then.  I'll have to try Titebond II and see how I like it.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
Just curious:  Thin Medium or Thick CA wouldn't work on the fin/rudder?? ???
There was epoxy slobbered all over the top of the fuselage, and I've never had good luck sticking balsa to epoxy with CA.

I'm not sure that I would have wanted to use CA for that joint anyway -- and I'm not sure why that is.  That sort of joint where you're butting a thin piece of balsa onto something always seems to cry out for epoxy or carpenter's glue.  I suppose I could make five sample joints with each of epoxy, CA and Sig Bond, then test all fifteen joints to destruction to see which one is best.  But that would be a pain in the behind!!
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
There was epoxy slobbered all over the top of the fuselage, and I've never had good luck sticking balsa to epoxy with CA.

I'm not sure that I would have wanted to use CA for that joint anyway -- and I'm not sure why that is.  That sort of joint where you're butting a thin piece of balsa onto something always seems to cry out for epoxy or carpenter's glue.  I suppose I could make five sample joints with each of epoxy, CA and Sig Bond, then test all fifteen joints to destruction to see which one is best.  But that would be a pain in the behind!!

LOL!!!!!!!!  And probably a waste of time needed for other things..... ;D

I have found that this "stuff" only requires the strength necessary to hold it together, not to be able to fly through barn doors. LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »
I would note that my last 3 or 4 planes were constructed entirely with CA (except for some thinned epoxy to fuel proof pipe tunnels and the like). Seem to be holding together fine.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
I would note that my last 3 or 4 planes were constructed entirely with CA (except for some thinned epoxy to fuel proof pipe tunnels and the like). Seem to be holding together fine.
I think the disinclination to use CA for a joint like that -- assuming virgin wood -- is just prejudice on my part.

The main reason that I have a whole bunch of glue bottles on my shelf is because I'm sensitive to CA and can't use it exclusively without giving myself serious sinus problems.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
Tim,

I understand. I've gotten to where I have to use a mask if I'm going to be doing a lot of CA work (like gluing down a wing skin or something). I've developed a certain sensitivity.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
I'm sure you've both tried the odorless Bob Smith CA, but for future reference for myself I'm wondering if it's a little better as far as the sensitivity?  I figure I'll be developing the problem sooner or later.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »
I too have serious sinus reactions to regular CA!!  Odor free does help, i pay the extra and haven't had the sinus thing since.   #^
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
I too have serious sinus reactions to regular CA!!  Odor free does help, i pay the extra and haven't had the sinus thing since.   #^
I'll have to try it.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Get the air circulating better when using CA.  I use CA to spot glue and white glue for final gluing. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here