News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:01:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a mistake on my part.  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Jim Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
a mistake on my part.
« on: July 25, 2022, 07:06:17 PM »
I am in the process of building a Time Machine II kit from Tom Dixon. I have the wing glued in. I havent built in a long time. This ship was gonna get me to the nats this year but never finished it in time. Anyway, I am not a very good builder and I Guess my wing isnt totally center. About 1/4 inch longer on the outboard, which in turn will make the flaps unequal. I remember Bob hunt told me years ago to add a 1/8 in piece of balsa on the outboard flap of a banshee, which helped the infamouse roll on outside corners. I wonder if this will act the same way? or what are the other alternatives? the flaps run all the way out the tips.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: a mistake on my part.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »
Can you add 1/8" of wood to the inside tip and sand 1/8" off the outside tip?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: a mistake on my part.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:25:59 PM »
I am in the process of building a Time Machine II kit from Tom Dixon. I have the wing glued in. I haven't built in a long time. This ship was gonna get me to the nats this year but never finished it in time. Anyway, I am not a very good builder and I Guess my wing isn't totally center. About 1/4 inch longer on the outboard, which in turn will make the flaps unequal. I remember Bob hunt told me years ago to add a 1/8 in piece of balsa on the outboard flap of a banshee, which helped the infamouse roll on outside corners. I wonder if this will act the same way? or what are the other alternatives? the flaps run all the way out the tips.
A 1/4" difference in wing position is not the end of the world.  Just reposition the flaps.  Trim the long one and add some to the short one.  Worst case you will have to adjust the tip weight.  The 1/8" is on the TE of the flap.  Most ships that I am familiar with have a larger outboard flap by about 2sq".  I don't know how wide the Time Machine's flaps are but if they are over 2 1/2 at the center I would trim the inboard before adding to the outboard.  That modification is a defense against hinging.  Not every plane needs it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here