News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 5Min epoxy  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
5Min epoxy
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »

Guys where are you getting your 5 minute epoxy, are you satisfied with it, does it set up in five mins or less or longer.  I plan to join some foam wings together and I don't want to be holding them a looong time (I'm LAZY!!).  So any suggestions/help will be 'ppreciated...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 5Min epoxy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
I've never been happy with 5 minute epoxy for anything other than quickie repairs.  I don't think I even have any in my shop at the moment.  It's weaker, and it doesn't make as good a bond to hard wood and plywood, probably because it doesn't have time to soak in.

If you're gluing foam to foam, I would strongly recommend clear (foaming) Gorilla Glue, and shipping tape to clamp things together while it hardens.  If you're gluing 'real stunt' wing halves, then regular epoxy, with some suitable clamping (I suspect I'd end up using a flat table, heavy weights, and maybe masking tape).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »
  Guys where are you getting your 5 minute epoxy, are you satisfied with it, does it set up in five mins or less or longer.  I plan to join some foam wings together and I don't want to be holding them a looong time (I'm LAZY!!).  So any suggestions/help will be 'ppreciated...

Our common enemy, Murphy, loves 5 minute glue also, so if you go this route, make sure, and then double check that everything is ready to go.

You can get small sizes of 5 min epoxy glue at any hardware store, Walmart, Harbor Freight, ect.

Some like to apply some packing tape across the foam joint on both sides of the wing to keep it located correctly while it dries.  Set it aside to dry. 

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »

I by my 5 min Epoxy at the LHS. Their name is on it.

Last time I put two fully sheeted foam wing halves together using 5 min. Epoxy, Pushy Galore's wing, I added 1/8" balsa end caps to the foam as ribs. I never did this with R/C wings.

It added a bit of strength for the bell crank pivot rod.

I also scribe an ink center line around the entire wing halves.

I use two single edge razor blades placed at the LE and TE for correct joining and alignment when placed together for final gluing on the ink line.

Pushy's wing is flat on the top and tapers at the tips, I set them in the foam cores for joining.

Pressure, a tad down and towards the center till cured. Minutes.

You don't need much epoxy.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:03:43 AM »

Thanks guy's, Tim I sent you a P/M   y1     
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags: