News:

• May 27, 2024, 04:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: installing wing into profile fuselage  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Steve Thornton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
installing wing into profile fuselage
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »
For my first project after 45 years, I'm building a Sky-Ray and am ready to install the wing, stab, and vertical stab / rudder.  I have it all jigged and straight, but cannot figure how to apply the epoxy to join the wing and fuselage, as the joint is very tight.  I only have 15 minute epoxy, Titebond, and CA. (and some 16 penny nails if I have to unjig this thing one more time!)  Not really.   Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks for all your help.
Steve Thornton
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: installing wing into profile fuselage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
 First, I use and highly suggest 30 minute to give yourself some more time.

Once aligned, mark a reference on the wing sheeting along each side of the fuse all the way around the airfoil perimiter where the wing will end up inside the fuse. Slide the wing out enough to put a bead of epoxy between the lines you've marked. Slide the wing into place, check alignment, wipe off the excess epoxy and then let it all set up. After that you then can go back and do a nice fillet all the way around the wing.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
Wayne and I were writing simultaneously. I agree with his technique, except that I'd try to get some epoxy to soak into the fuselage before finally sliding it in place.

Technique would probably vary a bit, depending on your wing covering. I'm close to doing a constant-chord wing for the first time too, but I'm planning on the same technique I use for a tapered wing. I'd use 30-minute epoxy.

If the wing is covered by doped silkspan, then cover the wing first, including  maybe an inch or two of overlap at the center, but don't bring the center wing very near a gloss with dope. Mark off the center wing area to be inside the profile fuselage. Cover the exterior half-span (outside the fuselage lines) that does not include the control rod exit with thin trash bag material, making sure the fuselage will slip over it into its final central location. Then coat your fuselage cut-out with epoxy - soaked in, and scrape off the excess. This is just to saturate the surface. Next, coat the center wing between the fuselage edge lines with epoxy. Let soak in and leave some but not a lot on the surface (I'm assuming you are accurate about the close fit). Slide the fuselage over the plastic bag protection, until it is aligned over the epoxied centered wing. Scrape off the excess epoxy pushed ahead of the fuselage. Align the wing, and let set. The joint will be more than strong enough.

I'd use the same technique for plastic coverings, except that I would extend the coverings to overlap  across the center (or use one full-span sheet) and cut diamond-shaped areas out for the epoxy to join wood to wood.

SK

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »
The fit should be snug, but not so tight that it sticks and makes it hard to move around for aligning when you get the glue in there.
Get some 30 min epoxy to give you the extra working time.
Get the alignment as good as you can, before you put any glue in joint.
Put a piece of masking tape even with the inboard side of fuse all the way around, top and bottom.  As accurately as possible, this becomes you reference.
Slide wing outboad (away from tape) about an inch or so to expose joint area.
Apply epoxy to joint area, slide fuse back, and align with the tape.
Some of the epoxy will get pushed onto the tape. 
Remove tape before the epoxy starts to set. Better to use a low tact tape, I really like the Yellow Frog tape.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jimmy R. Jacobs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:53 AM »
I would do as said, but to clean up excess epoxy use rubbing alcohol and paper towels.

Jimmy

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:45:43 AM »
A good way to really stiffen up a profile fuselage, and make repairs easier, is to line the fuselage opening with a strip of 1/32 in. ply about 1/4 in. wider than the fuselage.  Cut the fuselage hole 1/16 in. oversize.  Wrap the ply around the wing, using water and heat to form the leading edge.  Then slide it into the fuselage to check the fit.  Take the whole thing out, put glue on the fuse and the ply.  Put the ply into the hole and then slide the wing in and line everything up normally.  You can finish the wing and fuselage separately and put some really nice fillets onto the ply.  When all done slide the wing back in with a very small amount of epoxy, or even CyA, to glue it in place.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:18:59 PM »
Thank you all for the great instruction.  I combined much of your techniques and got a beautiful result.......except that somehow my jig must have slipped and this morning I have about a 3 degree misalignment through the vertical axis, i.e. the inside wing tip is about 1/2 in. forward of the outboard wing tip.  But it really LOOKS good.  Think it will fly? 

Thanks again for any help

Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »
My two cents worth.
If your wing fit is tight, snug or at least snug in portions, then align as needed, using THIN CA wick the Ca into the tight portions. once that is done, then the wing is locked in place. Turn the plane up on a wingtip and begin , with patience, to fit narrow thin shims into anyplace that has gaps. I typically make them about 1/2 across and crush a wedge shape into them as I fit them in place. dont FORCE them as this can shift the wing slightly. as you fit a few shims/gap fillers, with a light hand, and sharp xacto trim them flush with the fuse side.  then wick CA into them again. AFter you have all the gaps filled, then clean up any little chunks sticking out( hopefully there wont be any) Then form your fillets, I use Superfill. It has worked for me on many profiles and have never had one fail yet. My Gee Bee was done this way and was bounced off the ground several times. The wing joint was never one of the points that failed.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here