Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

1/16" Fuselage sides

(1/5) > >>

Ken Culbertson:
I am about to try a building technique that I have never used before in hopes of having a lighter rear fuselage.  I am using 8lb 1/16 instead of 6lb 1/8" for the sides and a geodetic box for the frame.  The top and bottom "blocks" will be 1/16" molded. Does anyone have experience with this or would like to talk me off of the ledge?

Ken

Steve Berry:
Sounds very similar to what AL did on the BBQB Bearcat.

Choose proper grain orientation, reinforce appropriately, should be fine. If needed, glue 1/16" - 1/8" upper/lower longer one to increase the glue surface for the molded blocks, and you should be fine.

Also, remember - tight joints to make it a monocoque structure (eggshell, not bomb casing).

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dennis Toth:
Ken,
Using the heavier stronger 1/16" wood works well just add a few additional formers to reduce any soft spots in the sides (when gorilla hands pick up the ship). Use some cross bracing top and bottom will reduce twisting. Try to use tight grain wood for the sides. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best,    DennisT

Brett Buck:
Should be plenty strong enough in general. The issue is that it gives you very little tolerance for sanding or misalignment.

Brett

Dave_Trible:
If you dope on a layer of .02 carbon veil it will make it stronger.  My latest I used 3/32" (about 6#) sides and bottom with a 1/16" top shell.  The only trouble was the 1/16" scalloping some between bulkheads on the top. It may have better to use 3/32" or harder 1/16".  It came out of my 'light' stack to make the shaping of the curvature without cracking.  Had to glue in some 1/32" fill with a little blue putty.  Still it turned out really light.  My concern is the rather rough grass field I fly from.  The carbon I hope keeps the tail attached on washboard landings.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version