News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:24:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "The NEW AMERICAN" Build Thread!  (Read 35384 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: "The NEW AMERICAN" Build Thread!
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
OK guys,

You made it clear.

As you can see, only one panel is covered with Polyspan. Do I remove the Polyspan and cover all four panels with silk, or do I continue with the polyspan on the other three?

Polyspan doesn't feel all that strong?

Charles

It's up to you as to whether you cover the rest w/Polyspan or strip it off and switch to silk.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
It's up to you as to whether you cover the rest w/Polyspan or strip it off and switch to silk.BIGBearRNMM/AMM

Bill,

Obviously I'm trying to make a decision based on information received from users of the product.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
Bill,

Obviously I'm trying to make a decision based on information received from users of the product.

Charles

Obviously!  But we have responded in your thread about Polyspan, so just what information do you want?  It's a matter of personal choice.  I think by now that you know the characteristics of Polyspan and silk.  The Polyspan will take less clear to fill compared to silk.  Both are attached with dope.  The Polyspan is shrunk with a heat gun, while silk shrinks through drying and tautening dope. ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »
Obviously!  But we have responded in your thread about Polyspan, so just what information do you want?  It's a matter of personal choice.  I think by now that you know the characteristics of Polyspan and silk.  The Polyspan will take less clear to fill compared to silk.  Both are attached with dope.  The Polyspan is shrunk with a heat gun, while silk shrinks through drying and tautening dope. ???BIG BearRNMM/AMM

Bill,

I think I'm waiting for someone to say they wern't all that impressed with it.

As I wasn't.

The Thread hasn't been given a chance yet.

It always seems that you get a couple or three of replies and there isn't anything else to say.

Probably why the hundreds of "silent" modelers don't bother to Post.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
Using silk, silkspan or tissue, I cover both sides of the wing, then dry with the wing held vertical so that one side does not dry faster than the other.  Friends use your covering material with good results, but I have not tried it. Also, with your material, people say to get several coats of dope on before sanding, then be very careful, or you create a fuzzy mess.   I don't sand over open bays, but rather use steel wool.

You have started out to learn how to cover and finish with silk.  I would suggest sticking with silk until you become a master, then think about new things you might learn how to do. Flitting from one thing to another is not a good way to progress.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
For me Poly-Span is easier to use.   I have used it on at least 6 airplanes and two were I-Beamers.  Have to whatch the heat when shrinking.   But a small scrap peice that is torn out of the scraps makes a neat repair you can't see once done. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »
John,

It's such a beautiful day, I see flowers everywhere.   n~

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
    Well, while I'm waiting for my Sig dope to arrive I accomplished a few more tasks on The New American.

As I said, I removed the Polyspan from that one panel, boarded it out and you would never know that I had Polyspan doped to it. Wood is an amazing thing.

I mounted the engine with the tongue muffler in place, and, as you can see, I had to trim a bit of the fuselage away, dito for the NVA needle. A little bit of a notch there for that.

I also cut the canopy which I'll be using, it was from sig. I did cut a recess area into the fuselage sides for the canopy sides to fit recessed and I also cut a groove for the forward part of the canopy. I'll probably use Epoxy and Micro-Balloons to hold it in place plus to shape the contoured fit.

Canopy still isn't in place yet, but this photo shows The New American an you can get an idea of the lines of the model. The model's framing is completed, covering, flaps, elevator and that's about it. Gear optional, although I will have gear on this New American.

Interesting, the model balances quite well for the stage it's at.

I'm looking forward to completing the New American with paint and clear. Be nice to get it in the air to see how the model flies.

Charles

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »
Looking good.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »
Looking good.    H^^

Thank you John,

You're still my favorite Poster.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
Well, It's been a while but I'm back on The New American again!

No secrete I haven't applied silk since the 60's, so my silk and dope experience on my Flite Streak, a few weeks ago actually, will allow me to progress over to the New American with a bit more confidence. My thanks go out to all my peers, who were generous in providing great tips and information on silk n' doping. Thanks, you're a great bunch of guys!

I boarded/sanded The New American for the first time after applying two coats of Dr. Good and two generous coats of dope.

I had some areas that needed a bit of "skim" filling and also boarded these areas after applying resin and micro-balloon mixed filler. I love that stuff, been using it forever!

I don't enter contests and this model is built for punishment, so I won't be all that fussy with hours and hours of sanding. I also don't have the time for that.

All of this will get vacuumed and cleaned, actually a must. Possibly two or three coats of dope and I'll me ready to silk the wings and fuselage, including the tank cover and rudder. As you can see, the stab and 24" elevator are already silked.

I silked these areas early on, before the Flite Streak actually, and did have a bit of trouble, but like I said, all my peers gave me exactly what I needed in information for me to correct my errors and move forward.

Thanks again guys!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
Well, I've been really busy, but in spite of that, I'm back working on "The New American."

I brushed on the frame, the last coat of Sig dope, I'll scratch this up a tad and the next task will be to apply the silk. I have to take the trip to the local HS for some small "T" pins first. Tomorrow.

I also finished detailing the opening for the adjustable leadouts. Photos show maximum forward and maximum rear adjustment. The copper tubes stay in place and will offer less abuse, in that area, than the movement of the leadouts.

Charles
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:32:46 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2012, 06:13:34 AM »
Well, as usual I'm not shy about my model building, and certainly I've made it quite clear I haven't applied silk since the early 60's. No crime there.

I did however apply silk to the tail feathers of The New American and managed to get my Flite Streak silked.

I really hope I have the hang of it and I did feel comfortable, not over confident, but just comfortable, applying silk to the wing of The New American.

Here's the results, obviously still pinned.

Am I on track, is this what it should look like? Notice I didn't use "T" pins at the LE area. I found this not necessary.

Sig's instructions show no effort or photos using pins? I did take advice and wash/rinse out the silk, twice actually. I found the silk a bit stiff new out of the package. Also, I'm using Sig's #4, which is the heavy grade of silk.

One panel down and only three more to go.

Charles

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »
Lookin' good #^

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
author=MarcusCordeiro, Lookin' good Marcus

Marcus,

Well thank you for that. It is starting to look like a model, slowly, but starting.

Well, as the saga continues.

I applied silk to the other side of my outboard wing.

I like pins. :##  They hold the silk while I pull the living bejeasus on the other end!

Otherwise, and with all honesty, I don't think I'd be able to get the silk as tight without them, or maybe I should say, work as fast. Besides, I don't mind doing it wrong. I don't use fingers either.

Anyway, and as usual, I'm not giving advice. You can apply your silk any way your little heart desires.

I placed a straight edge on the dried undoped silk and I cannot slide a piece of paper under it at the center. Is that tight enough?

The cap strips are placed 2.75? apart.

Just two more sides to go and I can attach the flaps!

I'm getting there!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
Here's the wing top after one only one coat of dope. Also you can see the brush I'm using for the first coats only. It's a hard artist's brush and I change to a softer wider brush once I have a the weave filled. Discovered this with brush testing.

Turned out to be the most suitable brush because it's stiff. I apply the dope with very little pressure. Starting with the brush vertical then to an angle of 45 degrees when the stroke is completed. Gravity helps so thank you Mr. Isaac Newton.

Please! Do not try this at home.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2012, 08:35:22 AM »
I can't believe I've found the time to progress with The New American. It's only because I'm neglecting other things.

Well,

The entire model is now silked. Wings anyway. The silk has been given two coats of dope and I've started apply my "build up" coats. I change brushes here.

I may have mentioned this little guy before. 1.5" Red Sable brush available at any Art Supply store.

I just happen to have some hanging around. :+

Here's the wing with the first coat of non-tautening dope. I don't use tautening dope.

And here's my little buddy!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
There are just some places where using your fingers, to get the silk to lay down, is necessary.

Bummer.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
Well,

A bit more progress.

I test assembled the flaps and elevator for a brief moment. Just to check alignment.

I don't see where there will be any difficulty assembling the flaps and getting them tight. They fit nicely and both are set at the same angle. I hate bending .125" wire.

I cut two wing/flap fillets and taped the left side in place just for the photo. Fits!

Also here's a few photos of The New American assembled. well, for a brief moment anyway.

Interesting thing is The New American has little in common with the All America. Very different models, where no measurements are the same, including a very different airfoil.

Designed to be a sport model that can take a beating and strong enough for any engine that you can get the model balanced with!

The only thing or things I would change so far is the wing sheeting. I used 3/32" and the model would have been fine with 1/16". Could have been a weight saver. Possibly sans flaps. Flaps do create a bit more work, They have to be made, aligned, put in place and the extra HDWE. A killer?

I hope the design is pleasing, The New American is available as a builder's kit.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
No, I'm not losing interest in The LOSER, hardly. In fact, I'm putting in a bit of time today.

I just stumbled onto these flap fillits looking for a part for The LOSER.

I just decided to glue them on so I don't lose them.

Laminated, three pieces, center pice is hollow. It all helps.

I'll probably prime The New American when I prime The LOSER.

I noticed the tank hatch warped/arched a bit on one side. Dope? Was a bit thin on that side. I'll have to tend to it.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
Didn't want to waste any of the filler from The LOSER, so the left over went on The New American.

Had enough left over for the bottom. First coat anyway.

Hatch is next.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
Well,

Here's what the last ten minutes got me. One fixed hatch.

Back to The LOSER.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
 Dug The New American and took the vacuum to it, thing got a bit dusty.

Attached the flaps. Done!

Flap hinges will get pinned from underneath.

Gaps are tight!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »
Chip, chip, chipping away.

Well, that's how you get them done when you can't spend hours at a time working on them.  ;D

I did get some primer, on the elevator.

I used the NAPA #540 primer. Nice stuff but a can doesn't go very far. Wish it had a better "fan type" tip also.

Sprayed the New American's elevator when I put primer on some of the Mig-3 control surface parts. Mig-3, formally called The LOSER. Putting all my time in that. 

Here you see just one coat of primer over 2000 coats of dope.  n~

I'll put one more light coat then knock it down with 400 or 600. Not sure yet?

For new comers who may not know the kit, I posted a photo of the New American.

Charles

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »

I used the NAPA #540 primer. Nice stuff but a can doesn't go very far. Wish it had a better "fan type" tip also.

It takes 5 cans to do a full size stunt ship. Spray it on and sand it off. Most of it ends up on the floor.
AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
It takes 5 cans to do a full size stunt ship. Spray it on and sand it off. Most of it ends up on the floor.

Robert,

Less than 20.00 bucks!! A steal when you consider the quality of the product! And how!

The only other aerosol can product, that I now remember using of similar quility but unfortunately not gray, is Spies Hecker's red brown primer. I mentioned this product years ago. 22.00 for one can!!! Possibly more now.

I'm going to try to get some primer on the rest of the New American as I progress with priming the Mig-3.

I picked up two more cans of that NAPA primer and have ordered spot putty. 4.5oz. tube under 6.00. Air dries. They have some that is a chemical two part mix. Probably heavier? I have some pin holes. Lack of coats of dope.

I'd love to get this New American completed. What's it been, only 9 or 10 years?   LL~ LL~

I'll bet, if someone took the New American kit on, they'd get their's completed well before mine.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
I was looking at old Threads and stumbled onto my Thread on The New American.

Thought I'd update it because there are many new members who have no idea what they have missed.  LL~

The New American is Gone. It's now called the ARGO.

Here's a link for those interested.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,34765.msg352745.html#msg352745

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »
Charles, I am enjoying the heck out of this build thread. Stay focused and finish the project. H^^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
Charles, I am enjoying the heck out of this build thread. Stay focused and finish the project. H^^

Milton,

What a surprise! Thanks for the reply and the complement.

It's been a long haul.

I've had a great deal of fun designing the model in my drawing program and sending off the vector file for laser cutting.

I made a few mistakes with the choice of wood thickness, so I've learned a great deal from putting this model together.

The modified Sig Banshee wing wasn't all that bad a choice, especially that I cap striped it which increased the airfoil thickness by .1875". Could have had less LE sheeting and used 1/16 instead of 3/32. Oh well.

The model is and was overbuilt.

The conversion to "E," IC to electric, really helped me learn about the construction of "E" powered models.

Similar in many ways and different in others. Possibly for better or worst, there could be conversations about both. Even arguements.  LL~

I can tell you this, it's been a great deal of fun seeing the model develop into what it is now. I'm really happy with the "ARGO."

Cobra powered, 2820/14, and a Hyperon 4S 2500mAh battery pack. I don't have the ca$h at the moment to purchased other needed on board gear. Soon.

I did vacuum the model today and sanded down a bit of putty which I had in some needed areas.

Might be a bit on the heavy side for it's size, but it has plenty of room for motor or battery changes.

Here are the updated photos.

Thanks again for the reply and your interest.

Prtobably should add this link. The build from IC to E.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,34230.0.html

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »
That's sure a pretty thing, Charles...

'Argo', eh? Abrupt turn, I'd say... Looks fast just sitting there.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
That's sure a pretty thing, Charles...

'Argo', eh? Abrupt turn, I'd say... Looks fast just sitting there.

Mike,

Sorry I'm late, I just saw your Post reply.

Yes, it does look fast.

This model has issues with weight. I should have sheeted the wings with 1/16" stock but used 3/32.

Same with the ribs and capstrips. I would do it again but differently.

I'll probably keep this model tabled because I cannot spend any money in the area of electric stuff at the moment.

I'm pulling R/C stuff off my shelves, that I built or have partically framed, years ago. Converting to CL is easy and I have engines, so, I don't have to spend any dollars, at least not large dollars.

So it will be some time before "ARGO" gets in the air.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:52 AM »
I'm glad you moved this out of the cobwebs and into the light. Don't know how I missed this whole build. but suffice it to say, I enjoyed all 3 pages. I'd sure like to see it finished..... ::)
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »
I'm glad you moved this out of the cobwebs and into the light. Don't know how I missed this whole build. but suffice it to say, I enjoyed all 3 pages. I'd sure like to see it finished..... ::)
John,

I just read your reply. Sorry I took so long to see it, read it?  n~

Anyway, you really looked through all three pages or are you just trying to make me feel good?   #^

I do hope to finish this model during the winter. Winter? This is Florida.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I have a scheme for the ARGO, that alone gives me ambition. ;D

Brick by brick.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2015, 05:12:50 PM »
      Hello:

Great build thread! I enjoyed it very much.

Do you get time to fly all of the planes that you build? I would love to see them in flight.  How about some YouTube type of movies of your planes in action?

Stay well my friend.

Frank

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
I will have to admit that once in a while I look at your posts and keep hoping that one day you will finish a plane and get it flying.   Of course I have several planes waiting for me to finish, but they get side tracked by others that get my attention.  The Hobo and Chupim20 are ready for test flights.   Need to get the canard back out since it ahs been put back together with some mods.   Also have someone video your first flights.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
I will have to admit that once in a while I look at your posts and keep hoping that one day you will finish a plane and get it flying.   Of course I have several planes waiting for me to finish, but they get side tracked by others that get my attention.  The Hobo and Chupim20 are ready for test flights.   Need to get the canard back out since it ahs been put back together with some mods.   Also have someone video your first flights.

John,

I think we all lose interest in projects from time to time, I know I do.

I did put together an ARF Pathfinder which I'm currently flying.

The rest, I just love building and finishing.

Hey! You're building the Chupin 20!  H^^

That is really a nice looking model.

Post a photo or three!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
Here it is in paint.  it is ready for test flying with Brodak 25 for motivation.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
Here it is in paint.  it is ready for test flying with Brodak 25 for motivation.

John,

Wow! I really like that green, good choice. Trim colors?

Aerosol can? Brand? Clear coat?

Cowling?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
It is Rustoleum spray green and the numbers I put on later are cut from Monokote.   No clear coat.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2015, 04:49:24 AM »
It is Rustoleum spray green and the numbers I put on later are cut from Monokote.   No clear coat.

John,

No clear!  H^^  That's a time saver.

It really would be nice to eliminate that final clear coat on some models.

You don't think one bit of color will stain a clean off rag with a tad of green? You have this much confidence in Rust-o-leum aerosol paint?

Exactly what Rust-o-leum did you use?  There are a few different offerings?

I see you elected to paint the control surfaces in place. Correct?

Fully assembled, you'll have a great looking model there.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind with your white trim?

PM me.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »
Have been using high gloss colors with no problems.   Of course I let it cure for several weeks.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2015, 05:40:48 AM »
Have been using high gloss colors with no problems.   Of course I let it cure for several weeks.

John,

I'm not sure if the question, as to Rust-O-Leum being completely fuel proof, will ever be officially answered? Some say yes and others say they have stained rags?

Rusty Rattle Can is the expert. I forgot what he uses and I think I may look for his Posts on that.

I do sand every color anyway to make sure next color sticks, so a clear coat is the final fix to hide the sanding.

I just used a flat water base clear over an area on the Mig-3 and it bit and adheared well. That area will still get cleared with auto paint. Well, so will the whole model.

John,

Photo when you get the trim on your Chupim 20?

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
     Hello Charles:

Great build post! Than you very much for sharing it with us!

Be well my friend,

Frank McCune

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
excellent and CLEAN bulding! no gaps, no glue fussy!
congratulations man!
i will build one for myself as well!
but from plans...no luxury laser cut, unfortunately!
what about paint scheme?
best regards from brazil!
Fred

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
     Hello Charles:

Great build post! Than you very much for sharing it with us!

Be well my friend,

Frank McCune

Frank,

Thanks for the reply, but this was an old Thread. It's had no activity for a year.

You probably don't recognize the model, but it ended up as the ARGO Spectre 007.

I went from "E" back to "IC."

Fred,

Thanks for the reply also. There's Threads here and there on this model. You probably didn't see the finished model.

Here it is.

Thanks for the replies.

Charles

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
Jeeze Charles.  Every time I see this model I think the only thing that will make it better, is if it was in my hobby room!  Really a stunning model. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
Jeeze Charles.  Every time I see this model I think the only thing that will make it better, is if it was in my hobby room!  Really a stunning model. H^^

Hey! Hey! Glenn.

Thanks for the reply. The Thread is a year old and I'm surprised, one of the few that it wasn't locked.  H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

Yes, I'm kidding.

I'll never pass up an opportunity to Post a photo of my models.  ;D

Glenn, thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2021, 10:03:20 PM »
Well,

Here's what the last ten minutes got me. One fixed hatch.

Back to The LOSER.

Charles
Ok, what the heck is THE LOSER?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »
Ok, what the heck is THE LOSER?

Kevin,

The Loser actually became the Mig-3. I renamed it during construction.

There's a "Loser" build at this link over at CFC Graphic's vendor's corner.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/cfc-graphics/'mig-3-reconnaissance-aircraft-and-warbird!'/

There's a bunch of Builds and stuff going on over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner.
including your "show stopping," Spitfire build! And what a Spitfire that honey is!

Many have never been at CFC Graphics.

CB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here