News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "The NEW AMERICAN" Build Thread!  (Read 35511 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
"The NEW AMERICAN" Build Thread!
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
OK, lets see.

This little thingie goes with that little thingie and that little thingie gets glued to those little thingies.  n~

Well, As you can see, I've made some progress. I have all the fuselage parts and tail feather parts removed.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "The NEW AMERICAN" Build Thread!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
Getting all my ducks in a row.

The immediates.

.125" fuselage sides, 2
.06" balsa fuselage doublers, 2
.06" plywood fuselage doublers, 2

These will be glued first. I should say Epoxied first.

With a thin, really thin layer of epoxy, I'll have five laminations of material from the wing spars forward. Which is plenty!

The rails will be cut to the correct length and drilled with a series of holes to decrease weight. As most do. No secrets there. Not ready for them yet.

Alignment of these pieces is key. Have to be because all bulkheads have to fit in their proper holes.

So, I'll epoxy the .06" balsa doubler to the fuselage side first and set it aside. I'll put .125" wedges into a few bulkhead holes to permite perfect alignment while arranging the pieces. They must be removed or will get epoxied in place. Obviously.

When cured, I'll repeat this exact step with the .06" plywood fuselage doubler over the .06" balsa fuselage doubler.

There's my five laminations. Well, ten if you count both sides.

Should be strong and light.

I'll get that completed and return!

Thanks Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »
Well, I now have the three pieces that make up the fuselage sides epoxied together.

As I mention, it's important to stick wedges in the bulkhead slots/holes for positive alignment. Bulkheads have to fit in the slots.

I gave The NEW AMERICAN a wedgie! It looks like four actually, per side. Yes, a trick shot, wedgies stuck in there after the epoxy set up. Can't keep them in there, they'll be glued!

I epoxied all three pieces at the same time because I can. However, I wouldn't recommend it, especially using five minute epoxy.

OK, next will be the hole drilling for the engine rails.

I'll be back!

Charles

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:06:52 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the build pics Charles. y1

Especially the notes to "self". #^
Been there....Done that! LL~ LL~

Look'n good!

"Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »
Thanks for the build pics Charles. y1Especially the notes to "self". #^Been there....Done that! LL~ LL~Look'n good!"Tight Lines!" H^^Wes

Wes,

Thanks for the reply and interest.

Yes, that note to myself is no joke. A bit exaggerated for the photo, just an "X" would have been fine.

I too have made this mistake before. And at my age with my forgetful mind, all this helps.

Measure twice, cut once!

Thanks again!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
Back again with a tad more progress. Nothing major, but tasks that do have to get done.

A bit of cleaning inside the bulkhead slots so the bulkheads fit easily. Cutting the length of the rails and the drilling of holes for weight removal. It all adds up. I designed the model, but a placement of parts needed as tasks take place, to some, is helpful.

Forgot to mention that the plywood fuselage doubler was scratched up a bit with coarse paper, then cleaned of sanding dust before being epoxied in place.

Almost forgot! I will weigh this stuff, be interesting to see what I get.

Other photo is obvious. Just three holes in the #1 bulkhead for tank plumbing. 4oz, uniflow tank by GRW.

Takes a second to align the copper tubes sticking out of the tank. Goes into the holes easier. Paper template for hole location, no rocket science there.

Tank looks round in the photo, just the flash, it is flat.  

Put these parts together just for the test fit. two landing gear plywood pcs. fits in slot, balsa base.

The tank, back end up at the moment, will lay flat with a thin ply strip placed above it. I should have made the tank holes in the #1 bulkhead just a tad higher. Guess it is rocket science.  n~

Now the tank floor cannot sit on the rails between the tank. I'll trim the tank floor to fit between the rails. Loose 30 % of the tank floor and a bit more weight.

Looks like the first mistake paid off.

Charles
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:07:58 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
OK, I've learned something today in my search for tank information.

The tank will be adjustable.

I'll trim 3/16" off the rails and I have distance above the tank for adjustment.

I received a "tip," actually really good advice.

All suggestions, advice and ideas are more than welcome.

Don't be shy.

Thanks,

Charles
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:39:06 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:20:44 AM »
I loose interest easily, so I'm moving on to another area of the model.

Stab and elevator. I chose .25" thick stock. Tiny bit of a bow in the stab, probably .06" from end to end. I could straighten it. Nah! It'll be fine, can't get carried away, this is only a knock around sport model.

I am delighted with the laser cut parts so far, they remove easily from their birthplace.

Bunch of parts here, but alignment is no issue and the elevator can only go together one way.

All parts and the elevator assembled.

Like a minute or two to CA this! Done!

Elevator has area, measures 24" X 3.5"

Charles
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:47:34 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:09:07 AM »
Thought I'd drop this photo in.

Here's the future.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:56:15 AM »
OK, It was brought to my attention that the tank should have ample room for up and down adjustment. Not good just sitting on the engine rails.

So, I have been known to take advice, learn, then follow up on it. Especially when the advice is so politely given. Correct to, which is also important.

Here's my trimmed rails leaving ample room for tank adjustment. Not to mention the removal of material, which will save weight!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »
I did a bit more work on The NEW AMERICAN tonight, not a great deal of work but, none the less, progress.

Simply glued the engine mounts to the plywood doublers.

None of the formers are glued.

Photos show how the kit pieces just snap together. Being held together by a couple of pieces of tape and a rubber band for the benefit of a photo or two.

All parts will be separated again for gluing and final assembly.

I could just CA everything as the model is.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Well, everything you see in these photos is glued. Really glued.

No fixes here, it is what it is.

Landing gear holes marked for drilling.

Engine holes next.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:06:28 AM »
Looking good Charles, maybe I missed it but what engine are you using ?? Keep up the good build.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
Looking good Charles, maybe I missed it but what engine are you using ?? Keep up the good build.

Leester,

Thanks for the reply.

I decided on the OS LA 40 Blue. I actually have one NIB.

Look below for a fuselage update.

Thanks again for your reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »
OK, I added a bit more glue to what was already glued.

Top block has step one, rough sanding. I'll round the top block a bit more and also remove some of the upper fuselage side material at the block in doing so.

No biggie on these photos, just shots of the interlocking pieces of the fuselage sides and formers.

Gear mount is two .125" pieces of plywwod.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
Well,

Top block sanding session number two. I get so board sanding, I cannot complete a piece start to finish in one session, even the sanding of square stock to round a LE.

I don't tack glue my blocks in place. I use masking tape. Tape it down tight in the rear to sand the front, Tape it down tight in the front to sand the rear. Not rocket science. My trusty sanding "thing." short "T" bar made from scrap balsa and a couple of pins, one's missing. Nothing elaborate, but works nicely. Does the trick. The trick, getting the block round. It will be hollowed!

Also, I'm sure like many others, I use masking tape where I don't want to sand.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Jump to the wing, presto! almost complete.

Well, not really. About 3 years ago I purchased a couple of wing kits from Sig. Done this many times because I hate making ribs for wings. At least cutting them myself.

I purchased the Sig Banshee and the Sig Twister wing kits. Both of these wings were to be used for different models.

I choose the Banchee wing because the wing tips were easier to remove than the Twister wing.

You can see where I removed the wing tips in the photo. Removed but replaced with new wing tips for The New American.

Couple of changes to the Banchee wing. Replaced the over and under TE sheeting with a balsa TE measuring 1/2" X 11/16". Sanded down, this gives me a 1/4" flap.

Also, the Banshee wing is not sheeted. The New American wing is sheeted and has capstrips. This gives me a 2.05" thick cord instead of 1.875, which is what the Banshee wing is sans cap strips.

You can also see the cut needed, in the wing for adjustable lead outs. That leadout space won't be much thicker than that.

Charles 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
Sidebar!!

A couple of steps/tasks above, actually the "trimming" of the engine blocks, I removed .125" from the top of both engine blocks to allow for vertical adjustment of the tank.

Nothing wrong with that, it got the job done. The tank can now be adjusted. A good thing.

However, while second thinking this, I could have lowered the placement of the engine blocks .125". Then by using a .125" aluminum or hard wood shim, between the block and the engine, would bring the engine to where the thrust line is located. All well and good.

Actually, trimming the blocks or remaking former #1 and former #2, both ways, would have arrived at the location needed for tank adjustment, that is, getting that .125".

Former #1 and Former #2 have been redrawn to allow for a lower location of the engine mount, .125"

Both sets of formers will be available in the kit to allow for the .125" shim or not.

Personally, I like removing material on the engine mount, an extra task that some may not have the tools to do.

I'm not familiar with other kit designs, be interesting to know if this feature is incorporated in other kit designs or not.   

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
Upper wing tip outboard wing, same treatment. Gotta be the same.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »
Well, the nail in the coffin, the last capstrip.

This completely finishes all the wood tasks for the top of the wing.

Wing tip sheeting on the bottom is next and one lase capstrip for each wing tip.

Possibly, Thursday or Friday for that.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
Wing tips completed with sheeting and final capstrip.

Adjustment in leadouts is 2". .25" forward of the CG and 1.75" aft of the CG.

Should be fine.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
and how do you adjust it,, and protect the thin sheeting at the tip opening
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 07:07:51 PM »
and how do you adjust it,, and protect the thin sheeting at the tip opening

Mark,

The adjustment is underneath at the LE. That thin sheeting only looks thin. Besides I have "Dr. Good" for that.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
any particular reason you are chosing to not reveal your new innovative leadout adjustor?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 05:04:27 AM »
I was asked about The New American being just another All American.

The names are similar but that's about it. The NEW AMERICAN is an entirely different model.

Here's some specs:

The construction is much different in that all parts have tabs for fuselage
assembly, and they just fit together.

The nose area is much stronger allowing for just about any engine that will fit.

Fuselage doesn't taper to a "point" in the rear, so there's no need for those struts
or braces under the stab.

The New American is 3" longer from the cord TE to the elevator hinge line. With this longer tail moment,  practical working flaps  can be used instead of fixed flaps.

All American elevator width is 3". New American has an elevator width of 3.5"

All American elevator span is only 20". New American has an elevator span of 24"

The New American has a greater fuselage rear profile area.

Increased rudder and vertical stab area.

The Inboard wing is only .75" larger. If desired, or more if desired.

All American airfoil is only 1.675" thick, New American 2.06" thick.

All American root cord, 10.675" with non working flaps.

New American, 12" with working flaps, if desired.

Greater prop clearance.

Better graphic logo lettering. :-)

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »
I feel like putting this model aside and working on something else, as I normally do. Won't get completed that way, and I do want to complete this model.

So, not much going except the turtle deck area.

Not rocket science. A paper template with a centerline is simply transferred to 1/16" "kinda" hard balsa. Strength is needed in this area and light balsa won't do this. "Twisting."

Ink lines are drawn on the wood from the template and cuts are made. No big deal there. Grain direction?

I grabbed the first thing I could find that was wet. Windex. Wet both sides and rub it in, really wet.

I used the vertical edge of the Frig., has a tight radius and is stainless steel. Wifey won't even know.  n~

Work the wood into the radius and soon it will take the shape need to fit over the formers.

Steam? Who needs Steam? Roads? Who needs roads? Line from the movie, "Back to the Future."

Anyway, I use tape, as can be seen in the photo. Rubber bands will also hold the sheet in place while it dries.

1/4" overhang on both sides, bit more in the rear and not as much in the front. Gets trimmed obviously when the piece gets installed.

Gotta think about rudder offset, it will effect this piece.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 06:11:09 PM »
A few more necessary tasks.

As you can see, the turtle deck sheeting now has a new shape.

Ink lines were marked from underneath.

Added 1/8" X 1/16" stringers o the three formers related to the turtledeck. Bit of strength and a place to glue the sheeting on each side of the fin and rudder.

"T" nuts in place for the aluminum gear and four happy marks just waiting to be drilled for engine mounting holes. Offset is eyeballed. Old school?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
I am so board with working on this one model! It's killing me, and the worst is yet to come.

More assembly, sanding, installing HDWE, which I really hate, hinges, that's not too bad, covering, don't know what yet, and using dope for a finish! A dope that's fuel proof! Resistant!

Thought I'd just slide some of the pieces together, figured a hint, as to what the model will look like, would inspire me a bit. Da nope.

Anyway, I must dig it get some ambition and move on.

A quick note.

I've never built a wing using a wing jig. Including this one. All the ribs, LE and TE, plus the spars, were held together with masking tape and rubber bands.

Couple of measurements and an eyeball and I CA'd the wing up. Works for me!   n~

It's getting there!

Charles

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »
Did you see the "new All American" published in Flying Models some years ago?  I suspect plans are available from Carstens.  I haven't seen the article in years, but recall it as similar to yours.  It would be interesting to compare the two models. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 06:16:53 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

I know nothing about a new "All American."

This model isn't coppied from any "All American," new or old. However, construction on all sport models would be similar.

Certainly, I would like to "capitalize" on the popularity of the "All American." Obviously, that's why I mention it!

What's interesting, is how the All American remains, still to this day, a popular model to build and fly.

Plans are available everywhere and kits are available from many Vendors.

I had a couple as a kid.

Thanks again,

Charles

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
Did you see the "new All American" published in Flying Models some years ago?  I suspect plans are available from Carstens.  I haven't seen the article in years, but recall it as similar to yours.  It would be interesting to compare the two models. 

Hi Jim,

I suspect you are referring to Mike Garmon's "All American PHD".  I have the FM magazine with the article, never got the plans, but I did see Mike fly it in competition.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
Now I'm really bent out of shape!

I've got enough balsa wood to build a small outhouse and none of it is 1/4" thick. I can't believe it.

$5.50 for one board stick of 1/4" X 4" X 36"! Not to mention the drive to the local HS. Bummer!

No rocket science here, all photos speak for themselves. Paper template, centerline on flaps made by simply sliding a finger holding a pen. Rough cut flaps from stock via a #11 blade X-Acto. Placed back to back for identical hinge placement.

Pile of Klett hinges taken out of moth balls, four per side and only one at the outer tip.

Flaps get sanded to wing concour during preliminary mounted. Only area that requires sanding at this point is the tip.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »
A quick note:

The New American wing has a span of 56.5". The Wing I'm using, I salvaged from a model that I started building a few years ago, this wing spans 52.5".  Just too lazy to make the New American wing from scratch.

So, I removed the wing tips and altered the wing for The New American.

Still the same construction, look and 2.06" thick airfoil.

The 56.5" wing will make for a bit more attractive model.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
Still plugging away at it.

I generally work on a couple of different models at the same time, but I'm getting used to working on only this one. I do wish the design was more interesting, but The New American is just what it was designed to be, a simple sport model.   

Hinging control surfaces is something I don't look forward to, but something I have no issues with. I do them comfortably. Long ailerons in R/C so one gets used to doing the tasks related to making hinge slots, and I've made plenty!

These are the only tools I use with the Klett hinge.

I recess each hinge 50% into each side. That is, I split the hinge down the center, 50% into the TE and 50% into the flap. I don't expose the entire hinge for the presents of one long removable wire. One photo shows that. Another shows the hinge embedded into the TE 50%.

Flap have yet to be sanded at the hinge side. I'll triangle that with a tad of a radius to soften the look of the edge. The 1/4" thick flap will also have to be tapered towards the railing edge. I use no jigs for this. Just bar sanding and an eye ball.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »
You know you're loosing it when you start day dreaming about stunt Corsairs.  n~

Flap work. Again not rocket science. inboard flap, a tad longer.

No aluminum "T" bars from carpenter suppliers, no aluminum angle from Ace Hardware, no aluminum "L" angle bars, no 1" square tubing and no jigs, especially 25 or so "C" clamps attached to a machinist workbench or some other gismo. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And no 1/4" thick steel girder, brought in by a skyhook, or three other guys, to use as a straight flat surface.

What you see is what you get, simple sanding block with coarse paper and one local HS "T" sander. Also, I place on my bench surface, actually a sheet of .040 aluminum, sticky back sandpaper. I drag the flap over this to straighten the cut edge.

I also use a simple 45 degree drafting angle as a guide for sanding the 45 degree bevel on the flap hinge area, top and bottom.

Photo shows it all.

I mask the high side of the flap and nothing gets sanded. The tape prevents sanding.

Flaps, 1/4" tapering to 1/8". Ideal, and no money spent for aluminum jigs.

I draw a line, sand, then eyeball.

Stunt Corsair? I gotta think more about that.   ;D

Charles

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
You know you're loosing it when you start day dreaming about stunt Corsairs.  n~

Flap work. Again not rocket science. inboard flap, a tad longer.

No aluminum "T" bars from carpenter suppliers, no aluminum angle from Ace Hardware, no aluminum "L" angle bars, no 1" square tubing and no jigs, especially 25 or so "C" clamps attached to a machinist workbench or some other gismo. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And no 1/4" thick steel girder, brought in by a skyhook, or three other guys, to use as a straight flat surface.

What you see is what you get, simple sanding block with coarse paper and one local HS "T" sander. Also, I place on my bench surface, actually a sheet of .040 aluminum, sticky back sandpaper. I drag the flap over this to straighten the cut edge.

I also use a simple 45 degree drafting angle as a guide for sanding the 45 degree bevel on the flap hinge area, top and bottom.

Photo shows it all.

I mask the high side of the flap and nothing gets sanded. The tape prevents sanding.

Flaps, 1/4" tapering to 1/8". Ideal, and no money spent for aluminum jigs.

I draw a line, sand, then eyeball.

Stunt Corsair? I gotta think more about that.   ;D

Charles

Stunt corsair exist - I have plans for a few different ones - Brodak even kits them now
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
Stunt corsair exist - I have plans for a few different ones - Brodak even kits them now

Wynn,

Thanks for that info.

I wasn't kidding to be cute or anything, I really have interest in the Corsair. Actually my second favorite Warbird.

What are their sizes? Full fuselage?

I do remember seeing one but I don't believe the wing wasn't as scale as it could have been?

Thanks again,

Charles

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
they vary - I have profile and full fuse - flaps and flapless - I beam wing,C tube,   1/2a all sheet.......

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
they vary - I have profile and full fuse - flaps and flapless - I beam wing,C tube,   1/2a all sheet.......

Wynn,

My interest would be full fuselage only. Plus, the model would have to look reasonably scale.

Retracts? The Corsair has gear fairings facing the wind.

Flaps working in both directions?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Flaps temporarely put in place. Inboard flap, just a tad larger,

The wing will be removed from the fuselage to allow for the control horn to be put in place.

That will be next.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 07:40:49 AM »
I slid the wing out from the fuselage to do the flap horn and HDWE.

As you can see, it's not Tom Morris, it's Brodak. Not overkill but fine for this "sport model," and I already had the horn.

Nothing anyone hasn't done before, except I don't use power tools, that is, an electric drill. I still do the drilling of the flap holes by hand.

What's in the photo is all I use.

Still have to remove a tad of the TE wood where the horn wire sits and the TE has to be notched also for forward movement of the horn. Obviously.

All flap parts are test fitted and will be removed before the wing gets put in place again.

Next will be the elevator and stab hinges. No, not looking forward to that.

Ordered a special cowling for my Corsair this morning.   ;D

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
Little, but still progress. I'll epoxy these brass control horn wire holders in place, or I may just pin them with cut off toothpicks. Well, not really, I have bamboo skewers.

Flap, drilled for horn wire and slitted. Nothing you haven't seen before.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Just a reminder as to the outlines of The NEW AMERICAN!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
We have gear and wheels here!!

Only placed temporarily. The aluminum gear will be attached to the belly sheeting. This sheeting is .125".

2.5" wheels will Carry the load. Wheels I had hanging around. We all have stuff just hanging around. I had the Twister wing to this model just hanging around.

I ordered Sig nitrate dope for the silk covering on the wing from the local HS. This was a week and a half ago!

Gotta love those local HS's.

Charles

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:19:43 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
I hope your attaching that landing gear to plywood and not just sheeting.!!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
I hope your attaching that landing gear to plywood and not just sheeting.!!

Leester,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes.

You may want to "back track" and view the photos of the gear block attachment engineered "snap together" construction.  n~

Yes, that's suppose to be funny.

If you look at the gear photo you will see a rectangle. Two layers of .125" plywood fit in there. So the gear attachment plywood is now .25" thick. It also has a shim so that the bottom sheeting gets glued to it.

The model is also designed to be flown without wheels. Done that before.  ;D

Thanks again for the reply and interest.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
"Notching a Turtledeck"

"Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
"You'll come a-Notching a Turtledeck, with me."

Notching a Turtledeck, Notching a Turtledeck
"You'll come a-Notching a Turtledeck, with me"
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled,

Down came a jumbuck to drink at that billabong,
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag,

And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag,

Up rode the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred,
Down came the troopers, one, two, three,
"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?"

"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",

Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong,
"You'll never take me alive", said he,
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong,

And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong,

Hey Mates! Great song BTW.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:10:51 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
I guess I am going to have to respond to this build.   It is and has to be the most comprehensive build I have seen, other than one of Al Rabe's or Walter Umlands.   Looks like it will be a great model to take out and fly everyday.  Now is this going to be a kit or what? ???  By the way I love the construction and photos. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
I guess I am going to have to respond to this build.   It is and has to be the most comprehensive build I have seen, other than one of Al Rabe's or Walter Umlands.   Looks like it will be a great model to take out and fly everyday.  Now is this going to be a kit or what? ???  By the way I love the construction and photos. H^^

John,

Welcome! And thanks for the complement. I don't get many.  n~ 

I get the feeling that you forced yourself to take part in this Thread? Ya know, I don't bite that hard.  ;D

The New American will be offered as a kit. When and by whom remains to be determined.

I can produce it myself if I have to.

I'm doing the build this way because The New American deserves it. It will be an easy model to build and and enjoyable model to fly, with or without wheels!

And, the design construction can support just about any practical engine size. I'm using a OS LA .40 Blue case, in mine. I have a .46 also and it's tempting.

The New American is strong, sturdy and light.

No struts under the stabilizer. Special construction in that area makes this possible.

I've been asked if this is a take off on the All American?

It's entirely different than the All American in many ways, not even close actually.

You know I'll keep you posted.

I'm hinging the stab and elevator at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »
As I said, I spent about 20 minutes with hinge tasks on the stab and elevator.

Hinge doesn't show up well.

All hinges are spaced with measurements but could be eyeballed.

Only tools I use for hinge slots are in the photo, same arrangement as for the hinge tasks with the flaps.

Yes, there's plenty of other things I'd rather do than make hinge slots. Building wings and making hinge slots, don't like doing either one.

But, ya have to.

Really slight bow in the stab and also in the elevator, really really slight. Bow facing up on the stab and bow facing down on the elevator for assembly. Probably not a perfect fix, gets by.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here