News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "The joy of masking !!"  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
"The joy of masking !!"
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:22:11 PM »
I suspect that I am not alone when it comes to disliking masking a plane for painting.   Well, have I got good news for you. 

And that news is the "3M Hand-Masker M1000 Dispenser".   It was mentioned in one of Curt Contrada's columns a couple of years ago.    I didn't think too much of it at the time, but eventually I bought one, and I'm telling you here that that sucker is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to masking a plane.

For those who are not familiar with the dispenser, it simply holds the masking paper and the masking tape and dispenses the tape attached to the paper, as you pull the paper out.  Hold the dispenser next to your plane, pull out the paper and tape to the desired length, tear it off like wax paper, and apply to your plane.  It speeds up the masking process immensely.   

The paper is bought separately, and comes in a 6" and a 12" width.  There are different types of paper....be sure and buy the type that is appropriate for lacquer type paints.

Bottom line.....you are doing yourself a disservice if you are masking a plane without one of these dispensers.  I guarantee that you will love it, and perhaps dislike the masking step just a little bit more.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "The joy of masking !!"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:29:04 PM »
Where did you buy it from???  it looks pretty cool!
Steve

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:17:54 PM »

Hi,

Tamiya do very similar masking tape dispensers - just bought two - 6mm and 18mm wide x 18 metres tape length. Should last a while...

Not cheap (hey, this is the UK!) - but seem ok (have not tried them yet - weekend work!

Rgds

Harry

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:26:11 PM »
Sorry, here's some pics (sorry for the poor quality - it's late!)

Cheers

Harry

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:17:59 PM »
Where did you buy it from???  it looks pretty cool!

Steve,

If you do a Google search, you will find many sources.  I bought mine at Home Depot, but other home improvement centers like Lowe's, Ace Hardware, and even Amazon carry them.   Price was somewere around $22-24.

Harry,

You misunderstand.   This is not just a tape dispenser.   Please re-read my post.   As you pull out the paper to the desired length, it attaches the masking tape to the paper.   So when you tear it off, you have a length of masking paper with the tape ALREADY attached to it.   It's a terrific invention.

Below is another photo that may help clarify the dispenser.  In the dispenser is 6" wide masking paper, and next to the dispenser is a roll of 12" wide masking paper, and the necessary cutter extension.

I "gar-rone-tee" you will love it.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 01:26:22 AM »

Aaaahhh, I seee...

It's a mini version of the ones I have seen in car body paint shops. Neat.

Cheers

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:30:25 AM »
It also works great for multi-pane windows and doors. You'll find that the air turns blue much less often!
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:05:44 AM »
I have posted this on other sites but won't hurt to add it here..

Be very careful with that blue 3M masking tape if you are using dope. Under some conditions the adhesive will attack dope and leave a troff where the tape has been. If you read the fine print on the inside of the roll it says do not use on lacquer finishes.. Dope is a form of lacquer.

I really like the tape but have had some problems if the base isn't completly dry/gassed off.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 12:06:41 PM »
Warren,

See SN, Mar/Apr 2001, "Beginning". Unfortunately the fotos got lost in the shuffle!
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 01:46:27 PM »
I have posted this on other sites but won't hurt to add it here..

Be very careful with that blue 3M masking tape if you are using dope. Under some conditions the adhesive will attack dope and leave a troff where the tape has been. If you read the fine print on the inside of the roll it says do not use on lacquer finishes.. Dope is a form of lacquer.

I really like the tape but have had some problems if the base isn't completly dry/gassed off.

There are two types of the 3M masking tape.  Warren's post shows the blue tape with the blue liner.  The "GOOD" stuff has an ORANGE liner on the roll.  It also feels/looks more like JAp tissue.  So far I have never had a problem using the blue tape with the orange label.  It does cost more!  y1

The tape with the Blue label I have only used once.......... and never will again!   n1
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:03:37 AM »
I went to the 3M web site and they list about 9 different masking tapes.

Here is their selection
http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/indtape/masking/html/simple.html

Which tape are you referencing?

In an earlier post it was mentioned that 218 worked well but I don't see it there and wonder if it is discontinued.

Oops I see I was looking at the generic masking tapes earlier and now did a new search and found their specialty tapes here

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/electronics/home/ProductsandServices/Products/TapesAdhesives/SpecialtyTape/

So is 218 the tape of choice?

Thanks,
Lane

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:30:08 PM »
Hey Lane,

I like the 3M 218 Fine Line Tape for paint edges 1/8"-1/4" with.

General use tape I use 3M +233 (Green).

Both bought at auto paint stores.

I've found the Blue tape you can get at Home Depot causes problems with dope. Makes a dent in the finish. It's also alot more expensive then the 3M +233.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 07:49:40 PM »
Warren, You are absolutely correct. These maskers are the only way to go.  y1 You made me run out to the garage to check. I wanted to be sure I still had mine.  Years and years ago when I spent a lot of time restoring old auto's we bought a masker for each size of paper. I like what you found, with the adaptors much better.  I could only find one of my maskers, so the good news is I will go shopping for a new one..... j1 j1 j1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here