News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'Stiletto 600' any changes needed ?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
'Stiletto 600' any changes needed ?
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:58:01 PM »
Like to hear wether theres any current tip/mods building a "Stiletto 660" nowdays :-\
looking at the plans personally I'd replace the spars to 1/4 " sq, U/C mounted in
slotted maple blocks using 1/8 wire.
The Stab. section too .....is the 'diamond' section that was popular in the 70's ships,
though today would a flat - stab be ok?

any tips gratefully appreciated :-*

RJV Melb. Australia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: 'Stiletto 600' any changes needed ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:11:19 AM »
Like to hear wether theres any current tip/mods building a "Stiletto 660" nowdays :-\
looking at the plans personally I'd replace the spars to 1/4 " sq, U/C mounted in
slotted maple blocks using 1/8 wire.
The Stab. section too .....is the 'diamond' section that was popular in the 70's ships,
though today would a flat - stab be ok?

any tips gratefully appreciated :-*

Les hinted at making the stab/elev slighly larger in area.  Especially the elevators.  Otherwise, he didn't mention any other mods.

Bill <><

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Eric Viglione

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
Les did more than hint, he did it. At a stunt clinic I got to look up close and personal at the ship he took down off the wall of the hobby store, still very nice looking by the way, and he had clear plexi glass extensions of the elevators. I asked about them, "oh, ya noticed, yeah, needed them to get her to turn before the WC contest, didn't have time to re-finish the plane".

With a heavier than a Fox, FP in my Cavalier, I took a clue from less and used his trick. These ships also had shaft extensions on the motors, making moderb heavy power even more of an issue. Les had a K&B which had a real long shaft to boot.

The elevator extension trick worked a like a champ. I built this plane a while back, and if it had adjustable controls I'd have just dialed in more elevator, but since I didn't, this was a viable alternative.

First shot is my Cavalier with tab shot from under my rack, gee, I really need to scrub that thing...

Second shot I took is Les with the plane. If you look really close at the elevators, you'll see the clear tabs.

Eric V

Eric Viglione

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »
Another couple of shots of my Cavalier and Les's Stiletto...

EricV

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:08:54 AM »
Les did more than hint, he did it. At a stunt clinic I got to look up close and personal at the ship he took down off the wall of the hobby store, still very nice looking by the way, and he had clear plexi glass extensions of the elevators. I asked about them, "oh, ya noticed, yeah, needed them to get her to turn before the WC contest, didn't have time to re-finish the plane".

With a heavier than a Fox, FP in my Cavalier, I took a clue from less and used his trick. These ships also had shaft extensions on the motors, making moderb heavy power even more of an issue. Les had a K&B which had a real long shaft to boot.

The elevator extension trick worked a like a champ. I built this plane a while back, and if it had adjustable controls I'd have just dialed in more elevator, but since I didn't, this was a viable alternative.

First shot is my Cavalier with tab shot from under my rack, gee, I really need to scrub that thing...

Second shot I took is Les with the plane. If you look really close at the elevators, you'll see the clear tabs.

Eric V

Hi Eric,

Yes, after the "old Timers" disease cleared up, I reemmber our comversations about the Stiletto. 

When I spoke with Les on the phone back then he did tell me about the clear extensions.  We decided to just build the whole thing bigger.  Especially since it isn't legal for anything but PAMPA classes. (darn it!)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Schlesser

• 2013 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 06:55:04 PM »
  Les Suggested adding 1/4 inch to stab. and 1/4 inch to elevators. Also subtract 1/32 inch on the inboard flap and adding 1/16 inch on the outboard flap. All changes are to the chord dimensions.
   Steve

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 05:42:15 AM »
Hey thanks fellas :D

Steve , did Les mention anything about increasing the Stab / Elev. spanwise
as well, or just the 1/4" fore & aft?

RJV Melb. Australia

Offline Steve Schlesser

• 2013 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »
Ron,
 No, Les made the changes on a set of plans I have and autographed them also.

Offline Steve Schlesser

• 2013 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
Ty,
 Les didn't mention anything about changes on the .35 stiletto. When I brought the plans for the 660 to the store Les signed them then drew in his changes. Hope that helps.

Offline Steve Schlesser

• 2013 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »
Ty,
 I'm laughing but I don't think you'll mess ANY of them up.
    Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here