News:

• May 22, 2024, 09:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building Jigs  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Building Jigs
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:49 AM »
I have read most of the threads here about building jigs and there are several different types and materials.

I am interested in this one from Scratch Builder Warehouse.  Has anyone had experience with this item and any comments pro/con?  The only disadvantage I can see is it isn't suitable for wing work.

http://www.scratchbuilderwarehouse.com/handy_fuselage_jig
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Building Jigs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »
Dick,

Those kind of jigs are pretty cool. It's not really very hard to make your own jigs, though when I machined the pieces of mine, it was certainly tedious. I'm looking a building a new wing and fuse jig (and possibly a separate stab and control surface jig) and I'm sure it will be just as tedious the as the last time. Sigh... But they sure work well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »
Uh Randy, can I have first dibs on your old jig when you build your new one? %^@
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:06:01 PM »
Sure Mark.   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

posthole_digger

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:31:12 AM »
That jig was first described as a construction article in RC Modeler many years ago. It is OK but I find it awkward and be careful if you use CA and not glue parts to the jig.

Paul

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »
I built one like it from some plans that are on line.  It works well, just don't CA the airplane to the jig.  ~^

I used mostly scrap 1/4 plywood for the uprights, and some MDF shelf board for the base.  I had a lot of 3/8 carrage bolts so the uprights are thicker to support that.

I store it flat on some some shelf brackets just like another shelf.  It can be a problem to store

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »
I built one too from the plans. You do need to have the ply uprights dead square! Also great for Profile fuselages and making wing and tail alignments! No problem storing...It stands vertically in the garage taking up about 12 sq inches of footprint!

W.

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
I built one too from the plans. You do need to have the ply uprights dead square! Also great for Profile fuselages and making wing and tail alignments! No problem storing...It stands vertically in the garage taking up about 12 sq inches of footprint!

W.

Do you remember where you found the site?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
Have you considered the "Blue Sky Building Jig" from Blue Sky Models?  It's pricey but looks to me like the best fuselage building jig out there.   8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
Have you considered the "Blue Sky Building Jig" from Blue Sky Models?  It's pricey but looks to me like the best fuselage building jig out there.   8)
Yes, I did look at that.  It is a work of art. 
AMA 62221

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
Why couldn't we buy a length of this...

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1204&step=4&showunits=inches&id=70&top_cat=60

Cut it into <>3 inch pieces, add a shelf board and hardware to bolt it together.  48 inch piece would give you 16 uprights (8 stations) and depending on what hardware you have laying around you could probably build it for well under $50.00.

The hard part would be making sure you cut the pieces square, a half way diecent band saw would work fine. A table or radial arm saw can also be used with the right blade.

Just a thought..

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
Do you remember where you found the site?

the one i built was like this one.  I think is is a copy of the old RCM one I used a Table mounted belt sander to square up all the uprights

http://www.nwrcc.com/viewpage.php?page_id=20
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
Dick,

The original R/C web site with my jig has been taken down, or moved. But the plan in Dave Siegler's post is for the same one. Works great. And the sanding trick to get the uprights dead vertical sounds like a winner to me. I had a furniture making bud cut a couple of sets for each of us!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
More jigs

Ty...I noticed that the uprights have some sort of facing on them. Dark, maybe plastic sheet or wet/dry paper? Is this to help hold the parts in place, or keep them from being glued to the upright?

Regarding the arrowshafts...spliced, I assume, with what? Putting a plug inside would be easiest, but then you can't sight through the bore to check alignment. Putting a sleeve on the outside would work, if it was a good, tight push fit. Maybe a block of plastic?    ???   Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
Steve,
I dont know about Ty, but I just build my wings in two halves , ala Pat Johnstons method. and then join them into one peice. Sheet the mid center section after its joined, it aint going no where.
that way you dont need a super long jig, or have any need to splice the arrow shafts.

Actually come to think of it, on my Avenger, the wing construction would not allow a two piece wing, so I had my jig table setup full length, then I built one half of the wing, slid the tubes through the ribs part way, built up the centersection, slid the tubes some more, and built the other part. Actually worked pretty slick
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here