News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Ki-84 is DONE!!!  (Read 979 times)

Offline Bob Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Lone Eagle Stunt Flyers -Have stooge. will travel.
The Ki-84 is DONE!!!
« on: May 24, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
Thats right, the Ki-84 is done! Below are a few photos of the finished project. Yes, it does seem like a lot of work of a .15 size plane but it was fun and I tried a few new things. The project started out a kit bashed Sig Acromaster and soon took on a life of its own. Though the wing and numbers are basically the same, the body and tail are semi scale. The finish is clear dope over silkspan on the wing, then Krylon white primer overall. Color is Createx airbrush paint and Createx Autoair paint with a topcoat of Lustercoat clear. No decals, all paint. The black panel lines are Acrylic airbrush paint run through a rapidograph pen. The silver lines were done the same way except I used the ink from a permanent Silver Sharpie. (Worked well but cleanup was a pain).
   I also built in a tail weight box. I assumed (rightly) that it would be nose heavy with the OS 15fp even though the nose is rather short. This also allows changing the tail wheel assembly.
   The tip weight is a polypropylene tube affair threaded for an allen screw.
The homemade fuel tank may get changed when I can find a lighter replacement.
   The all up weight as you see it is 22 oz., several over the target weight. Still I don’t feel too bad about it considering the details and experimenting I did.
    I hope to have a “How To” on finishing leadouts done and posted soon.
   Hope you enjoy the plane, now to get it to the field.
Bob

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: The Ki-84 is DONE!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
Great job Bob, that really looks good. Let us know how it flys. CLP** CLP** CLP**
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
Looks nice, I like scale appearing planes to be sure, hopefully I can get back to my bf 109 soon,, then you and I can get after all the mustang and bearcats out there
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »
  Hi Bob,
 That looks really neat! I can't wait to hear how it flys.

12 months or so I built Peter Miller's "Stupid cupid" and powered it with an fp .15. It came in at 25 oz and flys really well. More like a .35 size plane but with less line tension. It has working flaps though.

Cheers, Rob.

Robert Biddle

Offline Dzlstunter

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:50:18 PM »
Since you were a kid building 1/2A's for the school yard in Jacksonville, IL, you've always done a good job finishing--and this one is no exception.  Looks great.  John

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
Hi Bob,  I remember when I guessed that it was a KI-84! **) 

Wondered how you were doing with it.  It works outstanding!  I think it will fly just fine.  Take some time trimming, and you should ahve a great little plane. y1

Good Luck!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here