News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Sanding Blocks"  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
"Sanding Blocks"
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:11:31 AM »
Well I thought I would kick this out there.........

I use all sorts of materials to make sanding blocks very few of which are my OWN ideas. ;D   The foam cradles from foam wings, pieces of straight lumber scraps, professionally manufactured blocks, dowels with tabs glues on, etc., etc., so I wonder what y'all do??

Last one I made was concave to sand round edges evenly.  A Dremel sanding drum, a piece of 3/4" pine and some sticky back sand paper.

What 'cha got??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: "Sanding Blocks"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:45:50 AM »
Hi Bill , I do pretty much the same, sometimes I just CA glue sandpaper to different wood to shape what I need. I use the double back paper on metal objects I use for sanding. I haven't bought any sanding items in years. Have a great day (on my way to the flying field with my junk) Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:04:25 AM »
I've bought two commercial types, and would again.  The Great Plains "Easy Touch" sanding bars (much easier on the old hands than the "T-Bar type").

See:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK318&P=0     BTW, get the 44" bar and cut it to whatever lengths are appropriate; this is much less expensive.

The second is the "Tadpoles" from Lee Valley. These are really handy. See:    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=20183&cat=1,42500

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
Bill,
For a light weight sanding bar, the aluminum "T" braces (7/8" x 7/8") that support the translucent panels in overhead fluorescent light fixtures work well.
Got my "lifetime supply" when they trashed a drafting room at an old engineering facility. Various lengths available (2' - 4'), cut to desired length, cut off the end flanges, taper back or round off the vertical legs, contact cement the sandpaper to the base.
Roger V  H^^
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
When I get a particular shape that I like, and use a lot, I use golf grip tape (double sided and 3/4" or 2" wide) to apply the sandpaper.  Just peel it off and replace.  Naptha will remove any glue residue from the tape.

I have the Easy Touch bars, they are super for sanding a completed wing. y1

I also attach belt sander belts to my work table.  Makes sanding tapers into flaps and elevators really easy!  (for those of us who use a plane and sand instead of the "rod" method".)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
I use various sizes of pvc pipe cut in half longways, and use sticky back sandpaper in them.  They work great for rounding stabs, rudders, and flaps edges.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 04:12:05 PM »
I love that, Lee!  A great, simple, effective idea.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »
 Cool idea with the pvc pipe Lee, I will have to poach that idea for future building projects. ;D

I like to use automotive "speed file" sheets glued to various blocks of hardwood for general shaping and roughing out. 80 and 120 grit.

They are designed for blending auto "bog" (plastic filler) on to bare metal and therefore stay sharp for years when used to sand balsa. Contact adhesive holds them well and when they get blunt I just tear the paper off, removing the glue residue with gp lacquer thinner. (About $1.60 per sheet)

I find that 3m 240 grit (wet and dry) used dry does wonders for general cleaning up before finish sanding with 400.
Really cuts down on the amount of dope/paint needed for a nice finish.

The automotive paper is initially more expensive than generic hardware store sandpaper but it is so far ahead in terms of quality and longevity that it works out much cheaper in the long run.
Also with the file sheets and wet/dry it is really worth spending 10-20 cents more per sheet for the good (3m) stuff as it will stay sharp twice as long as the cheaper brands.

I usually wait until the big auto chains have a sale for like fathers day or Bathurst weekend and stock up when you get up to 25% off storewide. It works out at a similar cost to buying lower quality stuff from the hardware store and as a bonus I never run out of sandpaper!

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:37 AM »
I buy a sheet of reject ½" particle board and cut it into rectangles 2½"x12" and 3½x12".  Using 3M 77 spray adhesive, I glue standard sheets of various grades of paper to the blocks.  I can get a lifetime of very flat sanding blocks for pretty cheap.  I mark the grit grades on the ends of the blocks with a permanent marker.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »
This is what I was hoping for when I started this... a true "Tips and Techniques" thread!  Lots of great ideas and keep 'em coming!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »
Steve Scott's suggstion reminds me...

I often use a strip of nominal 1X2 the length of a standard sheet of sandpaper. Stick the sandpaper on with 3M 77 or similar spray "rubber cement." Then you can remove it with a Monokote-type heat gun when the grit is filled or partly gone. The heat softens the glue, and it peels off neatly if you are the least bit delicate with it. A waft of the glue on the back of the new piece of sandpaper and some pressure against a flat surface and it's back in service.

I like this better than cutting, fitting and gluing up a whole new block evey time the grit has thinned out or loaded up.

BTW, pre-cut the replacement piece of sandpaper by scribing around the edges of the block with the dead grit - with any kind of blade except a good one - through the paper, grit side down, on a self-healing cutting board. Also, another block can clean and 'square' the edges of the refreshed sanding block so you don't have overhang that will cut the wrong area or trip on anything.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 08:26:15 AM »
I generally have several GOOD paintsticks that I use the 2.5 inch PSA adhesive paper on. One stick for each grit. Only used in small areas or touch ups though, I have several LOOOONNGGG ones. your sanding apparatus as a rule should be longer than the surface y ou are sanding plus some. I also have a paintstick that has 4 grits on it for reworking wood props, I think there is 80 (blue Norton open coat mud paper) 120#, 240# and 320#. That way I can rough it and finish it without having to have a bunch of different sticks since I usually do my props in front of the tv. mw~ mw~ and most times get away with it too...
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:14:21 AM »
I thjink one recurring (and very important) theme is to get high quality automotive paper.  It is a lot cheaper *in the long run* than the variety store grades.

There are a lot of *structural* items that lend themselves to sanding blocks if we look for them  Sometimes at no cost!

Some of the pieces of extruded aluminum used in building can make blocks that allow you to sand entire wing panels at once.

I also use scraps of ply with 180 on 1 side and 240 on the other to detail sand wingsa before covering.  Make them about 5/8th" wide and 2" long.  Easy way to knock the corners off the sheeting/capstrips at the edges of open bays after you have applied a couple coats of clear.

I also glue sandpaper to various pieces of diameter tubing (full circle) to sand the insides of cowl openings, etc.

What other techniques do you guys use?  Hey, Sparky, haven't heard from you! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

steven yampolsky

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 07:24:40 AM »
PermaGrit

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 02:02:42 AM »

the old 'engineers files ' are rather handy too.

just dont drop them !

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
Hi Bill,

I agree that that off-brand sandpaper doesn't hold up and is a lousy value.
Automotive sandpaper you mentioned is good for 400+ grit finish for final sanding and paint sanding work but for shaping work I prefer a paper created for woodworking like Klingspor brand paper. Klingspor both outlasts and loads up less than 3M and Norton brand sandpapers by a substantial margin.
My favorite is Klingspor's peel and stick sandpaper rolls in several grits it lasts a looo-ng time and you just peel off the old paper , take the backing off the new paper and stick it on. It is so easy to use, that other papers seem inconvenient, and even though it costs more than regular paper it lasts long enough that is still a good value to me.

In terms of sanding blocks, I use a Tee-bar and I recently bought the "Tadpole" hard rubber blocks used for sanding various rounded surface shapes. I haven't used them a lot yet but they seem handy.

For general sanding, I bought a "3M" sanding block. It has a comfortable knob molded in the black plastic body so it is less tiresome to use than a regular block. One side is rounded and the surface is covered in thin rubber to provide a little cushion for the sandpaper. I like it.

For detail sanding, I cut several lengths of quater-round wood ( used to trim baseboards) and I cover with sand paper. I end up with a flat surface and a curved surface , all in one block, that is useful for detail sanding various parts of the plane.    I use peel and stick paper on all these blocks.

I still have several sizes of "Exacto" brand sanding blocks that I use with regular sandpaper.

I am like everybody else in that sometimes you need a special shaped block and I start looking around the house for something that shape that I can get away with borrowing to use as a special "one-off" limited time sanding block.
On second thought, maybe I am not like everyone else, and , that way no other married guy has to "fess-up" to using household items on the sly.

So Bill, I think that covers the sanding blocks I use the most.

Till next time,
                                                           Pat Robinson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »
Another thing I do that I have found invaluable. I ran a peice of MDF that is about 6 inchs wide and 18 inchs long through my table saw with the blade set at 45. (BE CAREFULL DOING THIS ITS NOT REAL SAFE) I then affix a peice of 120 PSA paper on the cut edge. trim the edges so there is no overhang of the paper. I then use it to sand the 45 bevels on my control surfaces. place the control surface flat on the bench (make sure theres no glue drops stuck there!) place the sanding implement with the bevel down (this holds the part on the bench making it more accurate) and use a combination of moving the part and moving the block. soon enough you will have a perfect straight 45 bevel on the hinge part of you flap ect. Oh I guess I should say you do turn the part  over and sand the other edge. It makes it fairly easy to get a straight true bevel. On tapered parts I generally will do the bevel before sanding the taper in. However ON built up tapered parts I have still used it and had good success since we dont really use 45 degrees of travel. You end up with slightly less angle.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Madog

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 09:14:28 PM »
Hey All
 The belt used on electric sander are expensive, but they last forever.
Dave

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
 Pat Robertson, Where do you get Klingspor sand paper with the sticky back ? That sounds like a good one..
     Thanks,
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 07:44:59 AM »
I haven't seen anyone talk about this one yet - so hear it goes. I take the "T" bars and put some sticky sand paper on the inside angle of the "T". This allows me to sand a good flat perpendicular edge to sheeting, blocks etc for butt joints. It's improved the bonding of sheeting and other edge to edge type of joints tremendously.

I used this so much that I went out and bought an angle iron from Home depot and placed the sticky sand paper on it's inside edge to get longer straight edges.

The final improvement I found in sanding was using the sanding disc on my table top sander to finish sand the out side of wing ribs absolutely smooth and straight - I use it on the whole stack of ribs so they are all uniform     

~^
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »
As Steve noted, Permagrit is very nice. I have a large selection of various Permagrit shapes. They last a very long time. I will second the Klingspor paper, too. Best sandpaper going. You can get it online.

Like most, I use various shapes. Lots and lots of little plywood pieces of various lengths and widths with paper either using the Klingspor self adhesive stuff or glued on with 3M spray adhesive. I also use a lot of just standard 3M garnet paper (this mostly rough grits - 80-100-120). I also tend to say up weird shapes. I was putting a power steering pump and steering box on my car and they has some interesting plugs in the fitting holes. Brass fittings that I didn't use. I kept them and have since glued sandpaper to them for various jobs. Keep your eyes open for such things. I throw them in a box and when I need some weird shape, I dig through the box.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here